Purchasing coffee card prior or on board?

Cachou123

Is there an advantage to purchase coffee card or any pkg on line, prior to embark on the ship or is it the same price once on board

There's an added 15% service charge when packages are purchased onboard which you can avoid by buying beforehand.

Is this the same on the orchestra in the Mediterranean? I’m on the ship in January

If you wait to purchase it onboard it'll cost €26 + 15% = €29.90. How does that compare to the price being quoted in US$?

Sorry, Missbella, I confused you with the OP. But, yes, it applies to Orchestra as well. We'll be on in December so if there's anything you want to know, I'll try and get the info for you.

No, the Service Charge is not working in the way you think.

Can you please post a link verifying your claim that the discounted price pre-cruise is NOT reflected in discounted gratuity?

At first attempt to clarify, I received conflicting information. In a 2nd attempt a MSC rep "confirmed" with my TA that the 15% was indeed the gratuity. I say 'confirmed' in quotes because you can never quite believe what MSC reps tell you.

Not suggesting you are incorrect, just requesting verification beyond hearsay (which is all I have to go on also).

Can you please post a link where this claim is verified? I received conflicting information, and in a 2nd attempt a MSC rep "confirmed" with my TA that the 15% was indeed the gratuity. I say 'confirmed' in quotes because you can never quite believe what MSC reps tell you.

Not suggesting you are incorrect, just requesting verification beyond hearsay (which is all I have to go on also).

You're correct, BB. The 15% service charge is the gratuity added. On our last cruise, the barman in the cigar lounge expressed his displeasure about people purchasing packages before sailing as the crew lost out.

You're correct, BB. The 15% service charge is the gratuity added. On our last cruise, the barman in the cigar lounge expressed his displeasure about people purchasing packages before sailing as the crew lost out.

OK, I also talked to our waiter and he said that his income is not connected to this 15% service charge. Anyway, don´t worry, so far I have not met anybody working on a MSC ship who is unhappy with the salary.