Packing for Hawaii

lbfluffy

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

It's winter here. I heat my house to 69° normally. Sometimes I get wild and heat it to 70°.  Low 70s isn't "cold" to most people.

Most Hawaii houses do not have heaters.  Pull out the sweatshirts and blankets.  In CA...my comfort zone is 74 to 78 winter or summer.

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Most Hawaii houses do not have heaters.  Pull out the sweatshirts and blankets.  In CA...my comfort zone is 74 to 78 winter or summer.

78 would feel quite cold in the summer here. We usually have at least one week of 110° +.  It's not really "hot" to a lot of folks. I hear Arizona gets pretty hot in the summer. If I lived in Hawaii I doubt I would want to "waste" money on heating.

I once commented to a beach bartender in Aruba that it must be wonderful to live in such a great climate. He said he "hated" it because it was "always the same". He wanted to see SNOW!!! I hadn't even thought of it from that perspective. (I've often thought of leaving California but, not only do my children, grand children, and great grand children live here, so many other places are cold! I don't like being cold.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here in Maui, I never get cold enough to wear pants. About 9 years ago I bought a pair for a job interview. When I got there, the interviewer was wearing shorts. 😏 That was the last time I've worn pants here. Occasionally a windbreaker when outdoors, but in the house, we close windows if it gets cool. The refrigerator adds enough heat to keep us comfortable.

In September we cruised to Iceland on the Island Princess, and I had to buy pants. I'm saving them for my upcoming Alaska cruise.

I recently skipped Christmas with friends and family in California because I hate being cold. I used to be a skier but now I have no interest in snow except when seen from afar.

Most people will not need coats or pants when visiting Hawaii unless they will spend their time upcountry.

Edited by Teechur
punctuation repair
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Teechur said:

Here in Maui, I never get cold enough to wear pants. About 9 years ago I bought a pair for a job interview. When I got there, the interviewer was wearing shorts. 😏 That was the last time I've worn pants here. Occasionally a windbreaker when outdoors, but in the house, we close windows if it gets cool. The refrigerator adds enough heat to keep us comfortable.

For me it's shoes. I don't like winter because I have to wear shoes. Uggh...

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

78 would feel quite cold in the summer here. We usually have at least one week of 110° +.  It's not really "hot" to a lot of folks. I hear Arizona gets pretty hot in the summer. If I lived in Hawaii I doubt I would want to "waste" money on heating.

I once commented to a beach bartender in Aruba that it must be wonderful to live in such a great climate. He said he "hated" it because it was "always the same". He wanted to see SNOW!!! I hadn't even thought of it from that perspective. (I've often thought of leaving California but, not only do my children, grand children, and great grand children live here, so many other places are cold! I don't like being cold.)

My DD lives in Honolulu and she will never move back to California, she said it's just too cold. She lives in tank tops/shorts & flip flops year round for the most part. Whenever I check the weather there, it's generally 82 degrees all the time, no matter what day it is, rain is on and off though.

On 1/11/2024 at 10:50 PM, Teechur said:

In September we cruised to Iceland on the Island Princess, and I had to buy pants. I'm saving them for my upcoming Alaska cruise.

I recently skipped Christmas with friends and family in California because I hate being cold. I used to be a skier but now I have no interest in snow except when seen from afar.

Most people will not need coats or pants when visiting Hawaii unless they will spend their time upcountry.

In Hawaii we took the tour to the summit of Haleakala and froze our tails off only wearing sweatshirts.

At least we can say we did it.🥶 We also walked the trail to the very top.

• Like 1