?s on how to book using Future Cruise Certificates

karen_g

So my husband's and my planned cruise last September got "adjusted" due to Hurricane Irma (it was shortened and the ports were changed). We were given the option to cancel and receive our money back in the form of a Future Cruise Certificate, and that is what we did. I will soon be ready to re-schedule our long lost cruise, but I am a little confused about how to proceed.

On the face of the certificate, it says to give it (the certificate) to our travel agent for payment. It also says that the travel agent will only receive commission on the whatever amount is paid over and above the value of the certificate. Well since we got *all* of our cruise fare back in this form, chances are I'm not going to be paying very much over and above the value of the certificate. It seems like a travel agent is not going to make very much commission off this booking.

Due to very downsized commission, Is it best for me to now book with Royal directly? Do I need to call in and talk to a real person (vs booking online on their website) since I will be paying with a FCC instead of a credit card?

In the past, I have used *************.com to find travel agents offering the best deals, but it seems dishonest to do that now since I get the impression that they won't be making much off my booking.

I would love advice on how to actually book my next cruise from anyone who has experience in this area. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

FCC are usually applied to a booking afer the reservation is made and deposit is paid.

So I guess this means that as long as my new cruise is more expensive than my last cruise by at least the deposit amount, I could book online, pay the deposit by credit card, then call RCI to apply the FCC to the balance. Is the deposit amount always a fixed dollar amount?

So I guess this means that as long as my new cruise is more expensive than my last cruise by at least the deposit amount, I could book online, pay the deposit by credit card, then call RCI to apply the FCC to the balance. Is the deposit amount always a fixed dollar amount?

The cruise line has to apply the FCC manually at their end.

Actually, I believe the travel agent has already received the commission due for the cruise that was cancelled. Because when the cruise is cancelled under circumstances like this, Royal does not want the agent to lose a commission. Otherwise, the agent would be unhappy just as you would be if Royal didn't refund your money.

I think I know this because we book cruises with an agent that gives us a sizeable gift card several weeks after the cruise is completed - or, after the commission is credited to the agent. One of our cruises was recently cancelled because of the hurricane, and several weeks later - we received the gift card . So the agent received the commission for the cancelled cruise, and issued to us the gift card.

Actually, I believe the travel agent has already received the commission due for the cruise that was cancelled. Because when the cruise is cancelled under circumstances like this, Royal does not want the agent to lose a commission. Otherwise, the agent would be unhappy just as you would be if Royal didn't refund your money.

I think I know this because we book cruises with an agent that gives us a sizeable gift card several weeks after the cruise is completed - or, after the commission is credited to the agent. One of our cruises was recently cancelled because of the hurricane, and several weeks later - we received the gift card . So the agent received the commission for the cancelled cruise, and issued to us the gift card.

This is really good to know. I might check with the travel agency that handled the cruise that was cancelled and see if they want this new booking. Thanks for the good info!

So my husband's and my planned cruise last September got "adjusted" due to Hurricane Irma (it was shortened and the ports were changed). We were given the option to cancel and receive our money back in the form of a Future Cruise Certificate, and that is what we did. I will soon be ready to re-schedule our long lost cruise, but I am a little confused about how to proceed.

On the face of the certificate, it says to give it (the certificate) to our travel agent for payment. It also says that the travel agent will only receive commission on the whatever amount is paid over and above the value of the certificate. Well since we got *all* of our cruise fare back in this form, chances are I'm not going to be paying very much over and above the value of the certificate. It seems like a travel agent is not going to make very much commission off this booking.

Due to very downsized commission, Is it best for me to now book with Royal directly? Do I need to call in and talk to a real person (vs booking online on their website) since I will be paying with a FCC instead of a credit card?

In the past, I have used *************.com to find travel agents offering the best deals, but it seems dishonest to do that now since I get the impression that they won't be making much off my booking.

I would love advice on how to actually book my next cruise from anyone who has experience in this area. Thanks so much!

The easiest method is to just call Royal Caribbean when you are ready to book.

Use the C&A number (I am assuming that this is not your first RC cruise). 800-526-9723

They will happily book you with your FCC.

Bon Voyage!

:)

Thanks Merion Mom. I know it seems silly, but I was really stressing over how to book & use the FCCs. [emoji3]

And yes, I am a Crown & Anchor member, so that phone number will work.