Free handicapped parking in Ft Lauderdale?

dmarch@islc.net

I will probably get flamed for this, but I would like to know why handicapped parking should be free.

I absolutely agree with making space close to where the entrance to whatever is located and oversized spaces to allow access for wheelchairs, scooters, etc., but why should the parking be free?

I don't mean to be insensitive, but what am I missing that makes that logical? I am willing to be educated on this.

Miami offers free handicapped paking? Where? :)

Handicapped parking is free at the port of Miami amd at Miami international airport.

Also by act of our Florida legistlature it is legal to park by any meter with a handicapped placard or plate free for double the posted maximum time or if no maximum time is posted then you can park forever. This is any where in the state of Florida

Al :D (A senior Handicapped person)

I recently retired from many years as a vocational rehabilitation counselor-a rewarding career helping those with disabilities obtain and retain employment.

While the need for accessible parking is obvious, my experience is that many people with disabilities find free parking demeaning.

While on the surface it may seem like a nice thing to do, free parking simply perpetuates the myth and stereotype that folks with disabilities are necessarily poor and needy.

My clients over the years have included doctors, lawyers, engineers, nurses, computer programmers, teachers, etc. One of my former clients made over $700,000 last year.

It is insulting to provide free parking to someone simply because they need accessible parking, and even more absurd to do so for someone who can afford a cruise.

People with disabilities are productive, contributing citizens and have the right to all the benefits-and responsibilites-of our society.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Apparently the legislators who passed the law thought otherwise. Perhaps they heard an argument that it was difficult (time consuming and possibly set them up for muggers when they had an open wallet?) to find change for certain disabled people, and nothing to do with the ability to pay.

There are lots of different kinds of disabilities so if they passed a law for a particular group they probably thought they had to include every person with a handicapped sticker or license plate. Doesn't always make sense, but they passed the law. So the OP wanted to know if free parking was offered in Ft Lauderdale, too. I'd contact the Florida legislators and find out if it is state wide rather than listen to us who didn't know there was such a thing as free parking.

Apparently the legislators who passed the law thought otherwise. Perhaps they heard an argument that it was difficult (time consuming and possibly set them up for muggers when they had an open wallet?) to find change for certain disabled people, and nothing to do with the ability to pay.

I said in my post I was open to being educated on the rationale for free parking. I will admit I never thought about it from that angle. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is a possible reason I never considered. So consider me a little bit educated. Thank you.

There are lots of different kinds of disabilities so if they passed a law for a particular group they probably thought they had to include every person with a handicapped sticker or license plate. Doesn't always make sense, but they passed the law.

I agree. Many laws get passed with good intentions, but get out of kilter because of an attempt to be all things to all people. They end up with unintended consequences.

So the OP wanted to know if free parking was offered in Ft Lauderdale, too. I'd contact the Florida legislators and find out if it is state wide rather than listen to us who didn't know there was such a thing as free parking.

There are probably better sources than calling the legislators (who would be very unlikely to know which facilities are in compliance). Possibly there is a phone number for Port Everglades. But it is not unreasonable to think that someone on these boards might have first-hand knowledge of what is available since this is a forum for people who would use it.

Handicapped parking is free at the port of Miami amd at Miami international airport.

Also by act of our Florida legistlature it is legal to park by any meter with a handicapped placard or plate free for double the posted maximum time or if no maximum time is posted then you can park forever. This is any where in the state of Florida

Al :D (A senior Handicapped person)

Free parking is provided on government property. The parking facility in Miami is county owned thus the free handicapped parking. The parking facility in Ft.Lauderdale is a private business so they are not required to offer free parking. I sure don't know why a person that needs hanicapped parking would feel insulted by this, why not just say thank you and accept the gesture.

Free parking is provided on government property. The parking facility in Miami is county owned thus the free handicapped parking. The parking facility in Ft.Lauderdale is a private business so they are not required to offer free parking. I sure don't know why a person that needs hanicapped parking would feel insulted by this, why not just say thank you and accept the gesture.

2 years ago I personally spoke to one of the Broward county commissioner about this issue of handicapped free parking. "They" (to keep confidentiallity) said that the county would lose 4 million dollars a year if they allowed free parking. "They" backed the opinion on 1995 data when there where over 885,000 handicapped placards or plates in Florida.

In 1998, Florida, amended the medical form and everybody had to be recertifed only by: FLORIDA MD's OR CHIROPRATORS, not out of state doctors, the number dropped to 83,000. The commissioners in Broward county will never give 4 million dollar up. That is the real reason no free handicapped parking at Ft. Lauderdale airport or the port. Both Dade County and Broward County out-source the parking to private company's to run. They, the county's, make the laws...

Al

• 5 years later...

Heya guys I know this thread is a little old but I still saw no one answered why free parking is given by the state at MIA, the port, public garages and all meters

Ive been disabled for 11 years after a motorcycle accident (drunk driver ran a light & hit me)

I've lived in NJ a state that does not give free parking & FL a state where all government owned parking is at no charge.

First of all I'd like to say I dont feel like its pitty or that the state thinks i'm poor. I dont ever feel pitty from people who say open a door for me, I think that all came from some 80's sitcoms

It's not easy for me to get around, and not having to worry about how i'm going to manover myself to pay the meter is quite a relief.

The methods of payment is different all over the place but almost all ways would take me almost 10 mins to pay it.

Meters - some face inward toward the sidewalk, some out word towards the car where there's no way possible for me to get to. other meters all very hard to get to if there is a double curb which is the case many places

Machines - these are the worst and seams to be the future of parking I have to get out of my car get in my wheelchair find a ramp to get on the sidewalk find a machine then back in the street in my car then back to my chair etc. Also many parking lots have these machines in between the rows of cars where there is no ramp and these machines are 100% not reachable for me

Garages - sometimes the machines to pay are in hard to reach areas for me, and some require the ticket to be in your window which is also again hard for me to do. While it takes the normal person 2 mins to do, it takes me over 10 mins to do and sometimes not even possible to do, I wouldn't want to get towed or ticketed just because I ride and not walk.

So thank you Florida for making my life a tiny bit easier and shame on you NJ for caring more about my quarters then how the heck im going to pay.

I also the the state may not lose money on this deal, because now not ever meter has to be lowered, not ever machine has to have a ramp in front of it. So the state will save on these costs.

Side note I went on Regent Cruise line 2 years ago while being disabled and WOW were they absolutely amazing!

• 5 years later...

Miami port parking is no longer free for handicap unless they changed it back in the last year. For many years it was free but it was changed

Great observation -

The logistical problem of reaching for a ticket, etc is solved when you use Sunpass or EZpass.

As previous stated - ones handicap is not directly related to ones ability to pay. Extended parking at the airport or seaport should not be a free ride.

At one time there was free handicapped parking at MIA, but I never saw it at the port, other than for a few hours. I also have not seen it at Port Everglades. The original post on this thread was from 2012 when MIA did have free parking, so I think it is out of date.

I have travelled often in the USA with a Person in a wheel chair , it is very difficult to find an empty disabled parking space, most are full with drivers that can climb in and out of cars without difficulty.

Here in Germany your disabled badge has to have a letter G printed on it which shows you are 100% disabled cannot walk and are confined to a wheel chair, without this no free parking anywhere.

Düsseldorf Airport also offers free Terminal Parking but only with the blue badge.

Happy cruising