Cocktails

xvi

El Tesoro reposado tequila, fresh lime juice and agave syrup (yes, there's no Cointreau or any other orange type liquor in a real Margarita).

Bull. Even your recommended site (liquor.com) confirms what a classic margarita is and has always been: tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice. It's the extra sugar that doesn't belong.

Yes, if you care about the taste, order a real margarita. But be sure to ask for the correct ingredients.

Bull. Even your recommended site (liquor.com) confirms what a classic margarita is and has always been: tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice. It's the extra sugar that doesn't belong.

Yes, if you care about the taste, order a real margarita. But be sure to ask for the correct ingredients.

Tommy's (SF) did a ton of research about the origins of the Margarita before deciding to reintroduce the historically accurate recipe which, as I stated previously, has no orange liqueur.

What evidence exists points to that margarita first being mixed in Juárez, Mexico at Tommy's Place Bar in 1942. "Tommy's" recipe (then and now) is the real thing: Tequila, lime and agave syrup AND you will find it on Liquor.com

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/tommys-margarita/#gs.JfWr68E

BTW, the 1937 Cafe Royal Cocktail Book contains a recipe for a drink called a "Picador." It used the same concentrations of tequila, triple sec and lime juice often seen today posing as a Margarita (even elsewhere on liquor.com.

Mix the original Tommy's and do a taste comparison with the Picador. Report back here OR, better still, have a second Tommy's.[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What evidence exists points to that margarita first being mixed in Juárez, Mexico at Tommy's Place Bar in 1942.

Correct. And the creator's obituary says that his ingredient list did *not* include agave syrup.

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-01-08/local/me-16509_1_francisco-morales

And neither does the International Bartenders Association.

http://iba-world.com/cocktails/margarita/

So if you like that, go with it. But because a sandwich shop in San Francisco started calling that a Margarita does not mean that everyone agrees.

I was on the Escape a few years ago and loved Le Fizz martini. Last year on the GA it wasn't on the menu and the bartenders didn't know how to make it. Does anyone remember the exact ingredients? I think it had Pimms and lemon juice. I'm on the Sun at the end of the month and would like to get one.

Let’s put the Margarita argument to rest. There are conflicting stories of the origins of the Margarita. The “original” Margarita consisted of a mix of equal parts of 100% agave tequila, a Mexican Orange Liqueur called Controy, and lime juice poured over ice in a salt-rimmed glass. This drink was made in a Cantina in Ensenada, Mexico in 1941 for the first time for the German Ambassador’s daughter Margarita Henkel. Since she was the first to try the concoction it was then named for her.

Take my word for it, other stories of the origins are false. You can believe my story or not but I can tell that I am recognized worldwide as a tequila aficionado. :D Here’s proof of my tequila expertise. Because of my tequila knowledge, my services are in high demand so I had to block out my real name. ;)

28i2e80.jpg

I'm of the "life is too short to drink cheap booze" camp, but finding a quality cocktail on NCL can sometimes be a challenge. My first priority is to find a good bartender (there was an excellent one at the Mojito bar on the Escape for example) and get to know them. He made me excellent lime daiquiris with top shelf rum every evening. My main problem is there are way too many bars with premade drinks in large containers and premade syrups for mixing even simple cocktails like a pina colada. I realize there are A LOT of customers lined up, but I am prepared to wait for a freshly made drink. You might be better off sticking to easily prepared and specific drinks (Titos and soda with lime, for example).

Correct. And the creator's obituary says that his ingredient list did *not* include agave syrup.

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-01-08/local/me-16509_1_francisco-morales

And neither does the International Bartenders Association.

http://iba-world.com/cocktails/margarita/

So if you like that, go with it. But because a sandwich shop in San Francisco started calling that a Margarita does not mean that everyone agrees.

And therein lies the beauty of (and true purpose for) the varying stories about the origin of all sorts of things: reason after reason for sitting with others and having cocktail after cocktail. Now, I'm thirsty. But, I'll opt for the Aviation or maybe that Sidecar(?).

As a thank you to those who have weathered our little exchange, here's MY version of a Pisco Sour (stolen from Pio Pio in NYC):

Pisco Portoń Mosto Verde 2 oz

Jarabe de goma (simple syrup will work) 1 oz

Lime juice 1 oz

Angostura bitters dash

Egg white 1 tbsp (we buy homogenized at Safeway)

Let’s put the Margarita argument to rest. There are conflicting stories of the origins of the Margarita. The “original” Margarita consisted of a mix of equal parts of 100% agave tequila, a Mexican Orange Liqueur called Controy, and lime juice poured over ice in a salt-rimmed glass. This drink was made in a Cantina in Ensenada, Mexico in 1941 for the first time for the German Ambassador’s daughter Margarita Henkel. Since she was the first to try the concoction it was then named for her.

Take my word for it, other stories of the origins are false. You can believe my story or not but I can tell that I am recognized worldwide as a tequila aficionado. :D Here’s proof of my tequila expertise. Because of my tequila knowledge, my services are in high demand so I had to block out my real name. ;)

28i2e80.jpg

I'm glad that you added the smiley face. With a certificate that says Jose Cuervo and aficionado next to each other, all I can say is [emoji23] (LOL).

1937 "Picador" trumps your 1941 wannabe when it comes to the orange liqueur argument.

If we now end the conversation, does that mean no more cocktails until dinner time?

Pina colada should be made with fresh pineapple juice and actual cream of coconut (one brand is Coco Lopez). If I were to order a Pina Colada (highly unlikely), I would also specify Mount Gay Black Barrel rum or Appleton signature rum (I prefer that to "white" rum. Regular Bacardi is just too blah.

Want a somewhat sweet creamy blended drink? Try a Gold Cadillac (Galliano, white creme de cacao and heavy cream).

I think the question was how do they make it on NCL ships?

LOL.....unlike the BS posted above.....there are plenty of good drinks that come from liquor that isn't top shelf. There will be thousands of people on your ship enjoying drinks made from liquor that doesn't cost $100 a bottle. Find some interesting options on the menu, many of which are posted above, and give it a shot.

Edited by ray98

LOL.....unlike the BS posted above.....there are plenty of good drinks that come from liquor that isn't top shelf. There will be thousands of people on your ship enjoying drinks made from liquor that doesn't cost $100 a bottle. Find some interesting options on the menu, many of which are posted above, and give it a shot.

Not a one of the bottles mentioned above would be considered truly "top shelf" and each one can be found retail (at least, in California) from $30-$40 for 750 ml.

I think folks should compare ("well" vs "call" and report back to us.

Stay away from the “drink of the day” unless they are making them fresh. Many of them they have premixed in big containers behind the bars and do not taste as good when made to order! Just my opinion!

Looking for drink suggestions beyond my usual pina colada ;). Lol. What are your favourite cocktails / martinis / frozen drinks available / included with the ultimate beverage package? Tastiest and / or best value. Thank you!

My girlfriend loves Mango Meltdowns and Colorado Bulldogs. Not to worry about cheap liquor on NCL. Even the well alcohol is pretty good, certainly better than the "rail" booze at most bars.