Montego Bay Jamaica

Tssweety

Hi! We are sailing next month and had a question about Jamaica. We have been there in the past but I think we ported at Ocho Rios last time. This time we are going to Montego Bay on the Dream. Is there anything to do that is close to the port.. walkable off the ship. We are not excursion people but do like to get off for a little bit. We prefer to just walk somewhere and not take a cab.

Thanks!!!

We were there 7-8 years ago. Believe we took a cab to Doctor's Cove Beach where we spent a couple hours. There was a small bar (hut), but I don't recall any food options. There were clean restrooms & changing rooms. After the beach, we walked over to Margaritaville. There's a water slide from the upper floor of Margaritaville which is an absolute blast!!! At the time, my kids were 11 & 13. Great time. Check the Port of Call threads for Montego Bay for more ideas.

Thanks ... last time I was in Jamaica I was assaulted by a guy with a huge aloe leaf (or whatever you call one of those aloe things) and started rubbing it all over my shoulders. I was really upset. We took a bus somewhere. Thinking of just staying on the ship if Margaritaville or somewhere walkable isn't an option.

Thanks ... last time I was in Jamaica I was assaulted by a guy with a huge aloe leaf (or whatever you call one of those aloe things) and started rubbing it all over my shoulders. I was really upset. We took a bus somewhere. Thinking of just staying on the ship if Margaritaville or somewhere walkable isn't an option.

Margaritavilla is on the hip strip. Don't know if it's walkable from the ship l, I've only been there in resorts. But you can walk that area and go into shops.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

My first trip to MoBay, three of us took a taxi to Doctor's Cave Beach. It was ok. There were locals there trying to sell hair braiding and conch shells, even thought it was supposedly fewer than other beaches/destinations. I didn't care for the taxi driver's persistent offers of an illegal substance. I decided I would not go back without a male in our group. Staying on the ship on a port day could be a new kind of relaxation?

This September, we took a Carnival excursion (4 X 4, hidden rainfall) and enjoyed our visit to MoBay, Jamaica. Wear water shoes and take bug spray! Having the local tour operator on a Carnival tour made it acceptable to us.

Staying on the ship in MoBay is an inviting option, as others suggested.

I don't think anything is walkable from the ship. It is a gated compound with a big empty terminal and a few duty free huts at one end. This is the port that replaced Progresso as our least favorite port ever.

Just returned from Montego Bay. Nothing is within walking distance of the ship. There is no port shopping.They stress at the port to use the licensed taxi only. Don't ignore the warning!

We used the hop on hop off bus. As soon as the door closed the hustle began.

We dropped people off at Margaritaville, the bus driver popped his head back into the bus and asked if anyone wanted "smoke" Not even off the bus yet!! Went to Doctors Cave Beach. At least they have security. This way only the hustlers they want on the beach are there. All offering "smoke"Made the mistake of walking to Margartiaville (about a 2 min walk from Doctor Caves) We were approached and harassed every 6 inches. " Taxi,smoke,blow " was all I heard They don't take no for an answer.

They follow you haselling the whole way. Only place we were not harassed was in front of the beach club as police officers were directing traffic.

Was never so glad to see the correct bus! My husband is does not get concerned easily but he said we are never stepping foot in this country again.

If you want to disembark in Jamaica take a ship sponsored excursion. Even then you will he haselled for a "tip"

The Hip Strip is a bunch of shops and Margaritaville, etc. If you don't want to do an excursion, go there.

The Margaritaville is really beautiful and you can see the ship from there across the water in the bay. Really pretty.

We didn't have problems walking around the area. We said no thankyou and kept walking.

2015Jamaica523-L.jpg

2015Jamaica506-L.jpg

2015_JamaicaZipline4-L.jpg

Keith, yes I think we will. Sometimes it’s nice to stay on the ship during port . There a lot less people and you can do things that maybe you can’t do when there so many people on board. We will get off at the other two ports. I think we’re going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Cozumel we have been to probably 12 times but we still like it at least you can get off and shop around there. And although Grand Cayman is expensive we will probably get off and just walk around a little bit. I’m not much of an excursion person. It gets expensive to do that.