All meals in the main dining room?

Superfragger

I've reviewed the entire thread again, and don't see any posts in line with your complaints. It does not appear than anyone has responded in any way other than to be helpful in answering the OP's question.
The problem is that several people gave incorrect info about whether lunch is available in a main dining room when the ship is in port. The best answer is to check the Patter if your ship is arriving late to a port or leaving early. Some of the time, a main dining room will open for lunch on those days.

The problem is that several people gave incorrect info about whether lunch is available in a main dining room when the ship is in port. The best answer is to check the Patter if your ship is arriving late to a port or leaving early. Some of the time, a main dining room will open for lunch on those days.
Also, when checking the Patter, look for other options, especially on sea days. Princess offered a "pub lunch" which also was a full service lunch, but not in the main dining room. Also Alfredo's, offered only on some ships, is a full service venue.

If the "outside doors" are closed (i.e. you're not in port) during a mealtime, a meal will be offered in the MDR. Otherwise, the IC will be open, and if the clock is between 0500 and 2300 ship's time, the buffet will be open. Other venues may also be open, check your patter for details.

• 1 month later...
I understand the MDR is open for lunch on boarding day (but it's a well kept secret). Which deck is the MDR?

MDR is short for Main Dining Rooms, of which many Princess ships have three (some have two, some have five because they're sliced up differently, I think the Pacific has one, but I haven't checked every single ship so there could be other answers). All are open for dinner (check your Patter for exact hours, and your cruise card for your specific arrangements), but for other meals that MDR service is provided, it's usually just one MDR that's open. General rule of thumb is the deck 6 midship MDR, but that's never guaranteed.

I always tell people to look at the midship MDR windows while boarding the ship, or to ask the staff "which MDR is open for lunch?" (you have to be explicit with your question), or check the Patter, or hunt down the Club Class sign and check the other doorway for that MDR.

Depending on the ship, something like Alfredo's may be available on port days, which is technically sit down.

That said, since OP said first time cruiser I am hoping they will be exploring new ports :)

You can have table service dining at every breakfast and dinner. Table service lunch on port days is a rare thing, I wouldn't expect it to be available.