Question on dates of U.S dollars when printed

rabin1

Hello

I have traveled pretty much around the world and was just told something I have never heard before. I don;t know if this is just the private tour company rule I am using or if it is all over the Middle East. Which that is the question.

She told me I could not pay her in any U.S. dollars printed before 2009. I don;t know if we have any money in this country that old but it was a request I have never heard before.

Any insights?

Thanks

Kathy

Providers dealing in some currencies will ask for new notes, suggest see this request in the same context. I have also seen a post 2009 request in China and Russia. Don't worry about it, just go with whatever you are asked to do if you want to stay with that provider.

Hello

I have traveled pretty much around the world and was just told something I have never heard before. I don;t know if this is just the private tour company rule I am using or if it is all over the Middle East. Which that is the question.

She told me I could not pay her in any U.S. dollars printed before 2009. I don;t know if we have any money in this country that old but it was a request I have never heard before.

Any insights?

Thanks

Kathy

Kathy, the dollar bill in my pocket is Series 2003. Don't know if this makes me frugal, foolish, or just plain old. It does, however, signify that not all U.S. currency is crisp and new : )

Part of the reason for this may be that changes are made to paper money often. For example, I was thrilled to get a lot of 5 pound notes before my last trip to the UK. I rarely get such small bills and they are really handy. Once I got to England, I was frustrated to learn that no one would take them. They're "old money"! Seriously, how old? I was just there 18 months beforehand and they were the same bills! I guess a new design had just come out for the 5 pound note and no one, anywhere would take them.

I finally learned I could go to a bank and they "might" take them back but of course, when I found this out, it was a Saturday afternoon and the banks were closed in the small town I was in for the rest of the weekend and I was leaving before they opened again. I was really lucky the cruise ship was willing to trade those notes for me! I appreciate this post because it's always good to be aware of how new your paper money is!

The difference though is pre 2009 is still legal US tenderly is just the overseas parties preferences. However old design £5 and £10 notes in the UK are not. There’s a lot of changes with UK currency- £1 coins have a new style, so my advice to overseas guests, don’t hang onto any when you get home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

was thrilled to get a lot of 5 pound notes before my last trip to the UK. I rarely get such small bills and they are really handy. Once I got to England, I was frustrated to learn that no one would take them. They're "old money"! Seriously, how old? I was just there 18 months beforehand and they were the same bills! I guess a new design had just come out for the 5 pound note and no one, anywhere would take them.

The old £5 notes ceased to be legal tender in May 2017.

The old £1 coin was phased out at the beginning of November 2017.

The old ‘cotton’ £10 note will no longer be legal tender on March 1st 2018 and has already been replaced by the new polymer ones.

We are warned 6 months in advance and encouraged to spend the old ones, but you can still pay them into a bank account beyond the final day.

85b9fbe77ee94075efe0f731551c5cef.jpg

Edited by upwarduk

The difference though is pre 2009 is still legal US tenderly is just the overseas parties preferences. However old design £5 and £10 notes in the UK are not. There’s a lot of changes with UK currency- £1 coins have a new style, so my advice to overseas guests, don’t hang onto any when you get home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, I had no idea re GBP currency changes. Sound advice.

I emailed the tour operator I am using and asked why she asked us to do this. She emailed me back and said it is their banks. Sometimes they won;t exchange older US dollars before 2009 into their money. Now that raises another question wonder why not.

Kathy

Why worry about the policies of the banks?

Having worked in the sector I know that the risk of forgeries and out of date notes significantly increases with older notes.

Anyway its not really something to bother about, you just concentrate on getting the kind of notes that will be accepted

I emailed the tour operator I am using and asked why she asked us to do this. She emailed me back and said it is their banks. Sometimes they won;t exchange older US dollars before 2009 into their money. Now that raises another question wonder why not.

Kathy

Counterfeiting. Newer notes have anti counterfeit features that old notes do not. Specifically the new (2013) $100 has a 3D metal security band, portrait watermark,security thread visible when held up to the light, raised printing on the portrait of Ben Franklin. However it is very odd on the date since the $20 has been the same since 1996, and the "new" $50 is from 2004. When traveling overseas I always ask for clean new notes for this reason. I travel regularly to the ME and never have an issue except for torn or marked bills are a no no..