Prinsendam Dolphin cabins - 401/2 or 403/4?

shepp

Just booked Dolphin 401, all the way forward, for an Amazon cruise. From what I can tell, it has a sofa (which we'd like) and no tub (which we don't care about). Seems like the cabin directly aft is a bit roomier because of the curve of the hull but has a tub but no sofa. Both got a good review here.

Long shot I know, but can any Prinsendam old-timer offer a review of either or advice on which to choose?

Thanks.

Both cabins are too far forward for my taste. First, I believe these are some of the cabins that have a Plexiglas cover over the window, making it a little tougher to see out easily.

Second, if the ride is going to be bumpy at all, it will be most noticeable in the forward cabins.

Third, you are more likely to hear the docking/anchoring noises in the very forward cabins.

Now, as far as tub/shower goes, you need to know that the sides of the tubs on the Prinsendam are extremely high. If climbing in/out (remember, the floor is lower than the bottom of the tub, so getting out is trickier) could be difficult, then consider a cabin with a shower.

Oh, and the tubs have a full-size mirror in there. Do you really want to watch yourself while you clean up???

Personally, I would take a cabin closer to mid-ship---between the two elevator banks. The cabins themselves will be a tad larger, the windows easier to get to, and a bit quieter.

But if I had to stay put, I would take the shower cabin instead of the one with a tub.

Second, if the ride is going to be bumpy at all, it will be most noticeable in the forward cabins. Third, you are more likely to hear the docking/anchoring noises in the very forward cabins.
We were in 303 on the Main deck for a T-A where we did hit a stretch or rough weather. The ride was better than I expected - we've had worse on a Vista ship - and the loud noises we heard were not during anchoring/docking but 2:00 to 3:00 in the morning at sea. I'm sure they were worse on the Dolphin deck.

Pictures of our sofa and the bathtub mirror Ruth mentioned at http://halfacts.com/303-prinsendam/

I can't comment on which is larger. I have been in 404 and it was fine for me, but it does have the plexiglass over the porthole which does make it a bit harder to see out of. We hit bad weather and it was a rough ride.... did not bother me particularly but I had all glassware and bottles removed from the cabinet.... some people near me did not and a lot of bottles got broken. Also, there was anchor noise big time.... again not something that bothers me since I try to be up to see arrivals and departures but if you are trying to sleep in... no way!!! Having said that I would take the cabin again since most of the time it is really quiet.

Susan

The plexiglass over the portholes is interesting. I have no personal experience with these cabins - however in 2007 on our way down to Antarctica we hit a major storm and I do know that porthole covers were screwed over the portholes in the most forward cabins making them virtual inside cabins. I also remember complaints about the noise of the waves hammering the hull.

That said, however, with the plexiglass over the portholes ... I doubt they could still be covered. Someone else with more Prinsendam experience might know.

Thanks for the responses.

The decision is an economic one. It's already a pretty costly cruise for us, and those cabins seemed the most attractive available at their fare level. (Honestly, since we often happily sail inside cabins, I would have booked an inside except for the twin-beds-at-right-angles dealie. Not expecting much of a view through the potholes in any case.)

Can't rebook to a more midship category now because I'd lose perks from the recent special. Guess we'll stay put, unless some else comes up with a reason not to.

Edited by shepp

We just spent 76 days in 402, and we have also spent quite a bit of time in 302, 306 and 403. There was no plexiglass over the port holes when we were in those cabins. Because of the curve of the hull, you cannot get close to the portholes anyway. There is a half wall across the cabin with a shelf extending from there to the hull below the portholes.

In fact, we specificaly choose 402 or 302 because they are larger. The cabins with the bathtubs are slightly wider than the shower cabins, and both have couches. What we like about these cabins is the shelf which gives the cabins a lot of extra storage space.

Like Ruth C said, there is noise from the anchor and the hydraulic pumps, but they did not really bother us. They let us know when the pilot was coming on board in the morning or when we were at a tender port. Only once did we really notice the motion of the ocean in 402, and it was pretty rough almost anywhere on board.

In our observations, we have noticed the plexiglass over the ocean view windows starting about midship. The one time we had a cabin toward the back of the ship, the plexiglass really bothered me. You could not see very well out the window, and I kept bumping my head on it. Slow learner!

Hope this helps.

Lenda

Thanks for the responses.

The decision is an economic one. It's already a pretty costly cruise for us, and those cabins seemed the most attractive available at their fare level. (Honestly, since we often happily sail inside cabins, I would have booked an inside except for the twin-beds-at-right-angles dealie. Not expecting much of a view through the potholes in any case.)

Can't rebook to a more midship category now because I'd lose perks from the recent special. Guess we'll stay put, unless some else comes up with a reason not to.

Have you looked at the interiors on Promenade deck....Cat K. These are the added on cabins and are very large. They have a nice sofa and chair, too. The bed can be either a queen or two side by side twins. There are some photos on halfacts. We have 234 booked for our 2019 cruise.

Have you looked at the interiors on Promenade deck....Cat K. These are the added on cabins and are very large. They have a nice sofa and chair, too. The bed can be either a queen or two side by side twins. There are some photos on halfacts. We have 234 booked for our 2019 cruise.

All four of the non-disabled K insides were already sold. In any case, the HAL agent confirmed that 403 is 10 square feet larger, I kinda like the idea of the tub, and I called my TA and switched to 403 with the same perks. Thanks everyone for your help.