What is "Capacity" on the Fleet Fact Sheet???

f3red

I am just curious about what the row labeled "Capacity" refers to on the "Fleet Fact Sheet" means (see link provided below). I initially though it was the number of persons allowed on board - you know, like the number of passengers plus crew - but it is not that (do the math...). Can anyone answer that?

https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/FastFacts.pdf

That's the passenger double occupancy number - 2 times the number of passenger cabins on ships without singles. Crew is not counted in that. On Koningsdam, there are 1331 cabins but Capacity is only 2650 because of the 12 singles on the Main deck. On Prinsendam there are 419 cabins but 3 are singles, so Capacity is 835.

The number below of Pax Max is the number allowed with quads and triples being used. On the Kdam there are 315 triples and 157 quads, so 2650+315+314= 3279 ... but they say Pax Max is 3375, so I guess they are counting extra passengers in Suites. Prinsendam has 835 + 78 triples and no quads, for a Max of 913.

Edited by catl331

that appears to be the "lower berth" capacity for passengers. For ships other than the Koningsdam, it is twice the number of cabins. Koningsdam has several solo cabins. Total or lifeboat capacity would is more and is listed as pax max (passenger maximum).

(typing at same time as Carol)

Thanks - I see it now (doing the math in my head). Now I wonder why that is important enough to have its own row? I guess that is a policy or regulatory question...

It gives passengers an idea of how "large" the ship is. Some passengers prefer a more intimate (fewer passengers) cruise, while other passengers like more variety.

It gives passengers an idea of how "large" the ship is. Some passengers prefer a more intimate (fewer passengers) cruise, while other passengers like more variety.

Yeah - I get that. But since both "Pax Max" and "Total Staterooms" are listed, it seems redundantly repetitive. Again, just curious. I guess I am kind of a "data junkie."

Cheers

Yeah - I get that. But since both "Pax Max" and "Total Staterooms" are listed, it seems redundantly repetitive. Again, just curious. I guess I am kind of a "data junkie."

Cheers

When you get on the ship, you are more likely to be at "capacity" rather than "Pax Max". With the exception of school breaks, That is 2 passengers in each cabin. During school breaks, more cabins will have 3rd or 4th occupants, where available, and the ship may approach "Pax Max".

I think it's a hold-over from the past when that was the only number the ships quoted, without any additional details.

Also, I now think that the reason the 3375 Pax Max for the K-dam does not add up to Capacity+triples+2*quads is the presence of 32 Family Rooms which can hold five. 2650+315+157*2+32*3= 3375

Edited by catl331

I am just curious about what the row labeled "Capacity" refers to on the "Fleet Fact Sheet" means (see link provided below). I initially though it was the number of persons allowed on board - you know, like the number of passengers plus crew - but it is not that (do the math...). Can anyone answer that?

https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/FastFacts.pdf

Hubby, Crew News and I asked our friend, Ron Botenfels, the Hotel Manager on our last cruise aboard Zuiderdam a few years ago, about the term "Capacity." His response was that there are 2 capacities.

1. Is Minimum Capacity, which equals 1 passenger in each cabin/stateroom

2. is maximum capacity, which is every cabin/stateroom filled to its limit.

As he stated, "We are almost always filled to "Capacity."

Joanie

there are 2 capacities.

2. is maximum capacity, which is every cabin/stateroom filled to its limit.

As he stated, "We are almost always filled to "Capacity."

Joanie

Which one though, since as you explained there are two. Always filled to minimum or maximum capacity? :confused:

Sorry, but "minimum capacity" is an oxymoron to me, since capacity by definition is the maximum amount something can hold. It's always possible to go below the level of 1 person per cabin (and we nearly did on a Prinsendam T-A) so it's neither a minimum nor a capacity.

I would suspect that when someone from HAL suggests that ships almost always go out filled to capacity, (s)he is talking about the capacity line on the sheet referenced, ie 2 passengers per cabin. Whatever empty or solo cabins are offset by some cabins which have 3 or 4 passengers in a cabin.

The "Max Pax" line would be the lifeboat capacity, as that is the absolute maximum the ship is legally allowed to carry.

I would suspect that when someone from HAL suggests that ships almost always go out filled to capacity, (s)he is talking about the capacity line on the sheet referenced, ie 2 passengers per cabin.
Or they could simply mean that every cabin is occupied by at least one passenger.

I would suspect that when someone from HAL suggests that ships almost always go out filled to capacity, (s)he is talking about the capacity line on the sheet referenced, ie 2 passengers per cabin. Whatever empty or solo cabins are offset by some cabins which have 3 or 4 passengers in a cabin.

The "Max Pax" line would be the lifeboat capacity, as that is the absolute maximum the ship is legally allowed to carry.

Yes, this is why lines try to sail above 100%, meaning there are more pax onboard than 2 per cabin.