Possum52--can you hear me now??

Hi all

Trying to hook up with Possum52 (Leigh). We met when I was posting a ton of questions last year. If anyone comes across Leigh, please ask her to read this post.

Leigh--if you see this, please email me at: no-whiners at msn dot com (replace words with symbols)

Thanks mates

ML

Hi all

Trying to hook up with Possum52 (Leigh). We met when I was posting a ton of questions last year. If anyone comes across Leigh, please ask her to read this post.

Leigh--if you see this, please email me at: no-whiners at msn dot com (replace words with symbols)

Thanks mates

ML

I have just emailed ML (NoWhiners).

No worries, how are you.

Hi Mic

I am great, thanks for asking! Trying to contact Leigh just to keep in touch.

Read a lot about the "cruise ship crisis" in Sydney--when did it get this bad? Seems like it was under control last year and now Sydney is so popular, there are problems.

I completely get why everyone wants to cruise out of Sydney Harbour--it is a truly beautiful sight. So glad we got to do it. White Bay wouldn't have been nearly as nice.

My golf game is still progressing and we have booked our next cruise, so life is good. We are on a Princess TA from Florida to Southampton, then all around the British Isles--a bucket list cruise for us. And, we get to see the beaches at Normandy, which I have always wanted to do.

Hope all is well with you. I see that you are still active on the boards, so that is great!

ML

Cool,

Sydney isn't quite in crisis yet but it will be if the cruise industry keeps growing as it is. The larger ships that do not fit under the bridge doesn't help either. This is why something needs to start happening now before cruise lines decide to stop coming.

Cool,

Sydney isn't quite in crisis yet but it will be if the cruise industry keeps growing as it is. The larger ships that do not fit under the bridge doesn't help either. This is why something needs to start happening now before cruise lines decide to stop coming.

The cruise lines aint going to decide to stop coming. As long as they can be profitable compared to other locations, they will continue to come. Name any other example where they have abandoned a location that was the most profitable market amongst options just because they didn't get some extra facility.

All they're doing is lobbying to make it easier for them to decide when they want to come by increasing capacity - so there is more availability for them to choose the days they visit, even at late notice, so they don't have as many restrictions on them.

The cruise lines aint going to decide to stop coming. As long as they can be profitable compared to other locations, they will continue to come. Name any other example where they have abandoned a location that was the most profitable market amongst options just because they didn't get some extra facility.

All they're doing is lobbying to make it easier for them to decide when they want to come by increasing capacity - so there is more availability for them to choose the days they visit, even at late notice, so they don't have as many restrictions on them.

They may decide to drop ports or even not send as many of their ships here, if they do not have guaranteed berths for their itineraries. RCI did tell NZ that Auckland would be dropped if they didn't provide a dock for the Ovation or similar sized ships.

They may decide to drop ports or even not send as many of their ships here, if they do not have guaranteed berths for their itineraries. RCI did tell NZ that Auckland would be dropped if they didn't provide a dock for the Ovation or similar sized ships.

The first is different from "deciding to stop coming." Also, the situation is already that they have a guaranteed berth and that is not changing - there is no Issue that they make a booking, but find it is not available when they arrived.

As for Auckland that is different as they did not have a port that could handle a ship the size of Quantum class, so they had to tender there because it did not fit. That is not an issue in Sydney, as the port was enhanced some time back so that it could handle larger ships including Quantum. Further the Defence Department has assisted in the past when larger ships visited that at the time were too large for OPT. So again, the government has ensured that it supported when there was an actual need - as distinct from just a demand to make cruise company's jobs easier.