Where to eat?

Flatbush Flyer

How is this related to cruising?

CC has had many many posts asking where to eat in port cities -pre/post/during cruises as well as in non-port locations when on add-on land trips.

Not everyone flies in/out same day and/or stay onboard throughout the cruise.

On the list are restaurants in NYC, SF and NOLA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If some here try these restaurants, please let us know how you liked them when you return.

For starters:

FYI: Sadly, even though it had become a touristy place over the past two decades, Rose Pistola in SF has closed permanently. Fortunately, we've got (and use) their recipe for "terrorized steak."

You can't go wrong with State Bird Provisions (also SF) and their dim sum/tapas style dining choices.

If you can set aside your politics (Trump hotel), Jean-Georges in Manhattan is an exquisite dining experience.

Considering trying Pêche on our next food trek to NOLA in February.

I don't know whether news of TripAdvisor's recent number one restaurant in London has reached your side of the Pond, Flyer.

All is not as it appears :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5153141/Prankster-gets-TripAdvisor-make-restaurant-number-1.html

JB :)

We've got our own local review tricksters too.

There's a small, bare-bones Italian cafe-restaurant in Richmond CA (northeast shore of SF Bay) called Botto Bistro. It is one of the lowest (if not THE lowest) rated restaurants on Yelp. The food is actually not that bad. But, the owners have been in a long running war with Yelp (on a variety of issues) and widely publicize their ongoing offer of 50% discounted pizza if you show them you've given them a one star review.

We've got our own local review tricksters too.

There's a small, bare-bones Italian cafe-restaurant in Richmond CA (northeast shore of SF Bay) called Botto Bistro. It is one of the lowest (if not THE lowest) rated restaurants on Yelp. The food is actually not that bad. But, the owners have been in a long running war with Yelp (on a variety of issues) and widely publicize their ongoing offer of 50% discounted pizza if you show them you've given them a one star review.

Checked it out on Yelp - interesting and amusing background, and a very different take on fake reviews :cool:

Trouble is, with some of the reviews I wasn't too sure whether they were being sarcastic or for real :D

Checked it out on Yelp - interesting and amusing background, and a very different take on fake reviews :cool:

Trouble is, with some of the reviews I wasn't too sure whether they were being sarcastic or for real :D

Yes! Smart owners! Now known for encouraging bad reviews of their cafe, the "truly" bad ones are given little to no weight by potential diners.

When we are in an unfamiliar place far from home, we sort of "triangulate" dinner eateries, using a cross reference of Zagat, Open Table, Condé Nast Traveler as well as Trip Advisor and Yelp plus even Cruise Critic.

If it's going to be a "big ticket" meal in a major metro area, we'll also look at restaurant reviews of major local newspapers and, occasionally, hotel concierge recommendations.

Guide books carry the least weight for us -unless the publication date is within the last six months.

In any case, once we see the same core group of highly recommended ones (from dirt cheap to Michelin starred) repeated from source to source, we'll give it one of the available itinerary spots (though an old favorite from previous visits will often win out).