Celiac on Anthem

My daughter has Celiac. We will be on Anthem in February. I have her dining all worked out for the main dining room, but the only thing I'm concerned about is lunch on embarkation day. Any other celiacs out there who have sailed Anthem? Where did you go for lunch on embarkation day?

While I don't have experience on the Anthem (we sailed the Grandeur with my celiac daughter), I can tell you the WJ staff were awesome. I was also worried about embarkation day, but when we got there we talked to employees who finally got us to a chef that asked my daughter what she wanted and made it safely in the back (she had a hot dog and fries and thought that was VERY cool). We never ate anything directly off the buffet in fear of cross contamination, we befriended one of the staff members that we found everyday that got her fresh, safe food from the back.

Thank you! I was concerned that with the size of the ship, and the craziness I've heard about in the WJ on embarkation day, that it would be hard to pin down a chef who could take the time to make her a safe meal. We plan on boarding as early as possible, so hopefully we can hit the WJ before the big crowds. Your comments make it sound promising!

On the first day I hunted down a chef, but in the future I found one of the employees dressed like a ship officer, their nametags said head waiter, and they took her order, asked where we were sitting and brought it out when it was ready. They also hooked her up with Udi GF cookies :) Good luck!

On the first day I hunted down a chef, but in the future I found one of the employees dressed like a ship officer, their nametags said head waiter, and they took her order, asked where we were sitting and brought it out when it was ready. They also hooked her up with Udi GF cookies :) Good luck!

Anthem has a dedicated gluten free area. The OP shouldn't have to go hunting anyone down.

I was on in Sept. Find Chef Joseph, he will walk you thru options. The WJ Manager is another great person. Only negative they told me was that there are no dedicated GF deep fryers on Anthem, so that was a bummer. At the Cafe Promenade ask for the Udis cookies, they are kept under the counter.

Anthem has a dedicated gluten free area. The OP shouldn't have to go hunting anyone down.

People with celiac disease have to be very cautious of cross-contamination so they can't eat off a gluten free area in a buffet because the food could be contaminated. Someone could have gluten-containing dishes on their plate that come in contact with the buffet serving spoon that then go in the gluten free serving dish. While the gluten free area of a buffet works for people that choose to eat a gluten-free diet or may have a mild gluten-free allergy, it's a no-no for celiacs.

People with celiac disease have to be very cautious of cross-contamination so they can't eat off a gluten free area in a buffet because the food could be contaminated. Someone could have gluten-containing dishes on their plate that come in contact with the buffet serving spoon that then go in the gluten free serving dish. While the gluten free area of a buffet works for people that choose to eat a gluten-free diet or may have a mild gluten-free allergy, it's a no-no for celiacs.

Thanks for the unnecessary lecture. You might choose to consider a buffet that you have never seen before a "no-no" but the larger ships have gluten free areas, not just a section along side gluten containing food. The OP should check out what is offered and decide for themselves if it is a "no-no". Others who have actually been on Anthem totally disagree with you.

Our son has celiac disease. I agree with you completely. I don't think there was any lecture involved here either, just a cautionary tale for people who may not know or understand the severity of celiac disease.

Thank you for all your replies. Buffets are notoriously unsafe for people with Celiac disease. Even a gluten free buffet that's separate from other buffet areas can be unsafe. There are so many passengers with access to that food--anyone could touch food on it with "gluten hands" or touch gluten food on their plate with a utensil from the gluten free area...too much risk. That's why a person with Celiac needs to have a chef make a meal in the kitchen. No lecture, just fact. I truly appreciate all the advice. Keeping my daughter safe is my priority, so she can have a fun vacation. :)

Just off the Anthem with a friend who had Celiac Disease. Royal was awesome. At the back of the Windjammer, the chef prepared her lunch when she showed up. Main dining room - she preordered evening prior and at embarkation time for 1st night. Also sailed with Lactose Intolerent daughter and they accommodated her as well for main dining room by preordering and a surprise dessert each night for her. Loved the Anthem,

Anthem has a gluten free area in the Windjammer. The area is at the back of the WJ. There are always gluten free desserts available, the coconut macaroons are delicious.

is there something similiar on the Jewel? (OP, sorry to highjack your thread. My daughter also has celiac and I was just planning on bringing her packaged food for the first meal).

is there something similiar on the Jewel? (OP, sorry to highjack your thread. My daughter also has celiac and I was just planning on bringing her packaged food for the first meal).

We have sailed Jewel twice and I do not remember seeing a totally separate area in the WJ. Many ships have one side of an island that is gluten free, that is not the case on Anthem, it is separate.

I am glad others who have actually sailed Anthem have posted their experiences too, as mine were discounted by someone who has never sailed that ship. Some of the blanket answers that people post do not apply to Anthem, another example would be the thread the OP started about the night club on Anthem. I have sailed Anthem three times and can tell you, there is no dedicated night club, but what do I know.:rolleyes: