Weather at sea.

Dollywobble

Please can anybody tell me what the weather is like at sea , we are sailing from Barcelona,on January the 4th going to the canaries and Casablanca on spirit. Can you sunbathe on deck or is it cold at that time,:cool:

The avaerage temps for Barcelona in January is: 14 C

Cacablanca 20 C

Canary Islands 22 C

Would be a tad chilly for me.

Bill

Not sure any of that is relevant to someone from England... just sayin'

It's not relevant to anyone from anywhere. Western Europe is heated by the Gulf Stream, so just comparing latitudes is misleading. Anyway, regarding typical (or even forecast) weather, Google is your friend.

M.

It's not relevant to anyone from anywhere. Western Europe is heated by the Gulf Stream, so just comparing latitudes is misleading. Anyway, regarding typical (or even forecast) weather, Google is your friend.

M.

While you are correct in what you say about comparing lattitudes, all of the locations mentioned in the post about comparable lattitudes are also heated by the Gulf Stream as it travels up the East Coast of North America before transiting the Atlantic and then going down the Western European coast. So, actually, the locations mentioned in the 3rd post are warmed more by the Gulf Stream than Western Europe.

Please can anybody tell me what the weather is like at sea , we are sailing from Barcelona,on January the 4th going to the canaries and Casablanca on spirit. Can you sunbathe on deck or is it cold at that time,:cool:

Weather bah-hum-bug you can take it or leave it but you won't have any effect on the way of the wind.

Like Don Quixote fighting windmills - dream the impossible dream.

As for sunbathing - possible even with temperatures not exactly conducive to skin warmth.

Many ships have secluded areas to get shelter from the wind - look for the blast fences - I mean wind

buffering baffles maybe that will work or a deck above a pool deck with high glass walls keeping the wind out.

With all that taken into account - NOW if the sun will cooperate and break thru the overcast skies and create

that frying boiling searing of the flesh from neutral to something charred. You will know when you are well done !

Winter sailing does not always have desired side effects - good luck with those windmills !

It is a cruise itinerary I have been on 3 times during the Jan-Feb time frame.

One time we had glorious, warm, dry, sunny weather. Temps mid 60 and upwards. Sea like a mill pond.

One time we had a few warm, sunny days, a few not quite as warm and cloudy and a few downright cold and rainy days. Temps low 50's to mid 60's. Very mixed.

One time we had only cold days and a few of them were rainy with the sea being somewhat rough during the Atlantic portion. Temps below 60 all the time and with wind felt colder. Captain said wind coming from north.

I did see a few folk sunbathing one time but only one time.

My advice is to hope for the best but have appropriate clothing for the worst. It is a lovely ship with a great crew. You will have a good time whatever.

We’ve done this cruise 3 times already and are heading off again on Saturday on the Sprit from Barcelona for Xmas and New Year. We did it last New Year and the weather was glorious most of the time with people sunbathing on deck (the pools are cold regardless) another time we had high winds and storms so much so that we had to depart Casablanca early otherwise we would have been held there due to the weather. Take layers and you will be fine . We’ve always had a good cruise on the Spirit whatever the weather. Looks like you will be getting on the Spirit on 4th Jan when we are getting off.

Thank you, for your replies, very helpful, especially as we have never been on a cruise at that time in the med or been on an NCL ship before we usually like celebrity,so we are looking forward to the cruise. To Cath and Glynn,have a great time and happy Christmas.:cool: