Soda package question?

cruisefamilyforever

I'm glad this thread came up, I had similar questions!

Now the only unanswered question I have (first-time cruiser), is how does the soda card work logistically? Do you just show it when dining? Or do they swipe it like your cruise card? and do they do this for each person at the table? My mother and I will be together most of the time, so we'll each need to present our soda card, right?

OK, I can tell you how it worked last summer....based on recent threads, things may have changed.

At dinner, we had the same server each night (we did fixed dining). Our server verified our card on the first night and never again. We normally used one of two bars during the day--same thing there. I carried the card, but after the first time or two, they just waved it away. In fact, the card was not mine--my daughter has a mobility impairment and it was MUCH easier to get stuff for her. No, we were not sharing (which is not allowed), I haven't had a carbonated beverage in 15 years for medical reasons. There was never a problem with me having her card. Daughter also preferred to get diet coke in her large (20 oz, I think) cup. Again, no problem. When we had breakfast at the buffet, one of the servers offered to take her cup and get it filled for us--again, no problem.

This was quite different than on Celebrity--there the server took and swiped her card each time and my bill reflected every one of those swipes with a 0.00 charge. It did make for the longest tally I'd ever had at the end of a cruise!

OK' date=' I can tell you how it worked last summer....based on recent threads, things may have changed.

At dinner, we had the same server each night (we did fixed dining). Our server verified our card on the first night and never again. We normally used one of two bars during the day--same thing there. I carried the card, but after the first time or two, they just waved it away. In fact, the card was not mine--my daughter has a mobility impairment and it was MUCH easier to get stuff for her. No, we were not sharing (which is not allowed), I haven't had a carbonated beverage in 15 years for medical reasons. There was never a problem with me having her card. Daughter also preferred to get diet coke in her large (20 oz, I think) cup. Again, no problem. When we had breakfast at the buffet, one of the servers offered to take her cup and get it filled for us--again, no problem.

This was quite different than on Celebrity--there the server took and swiped her card each time and my bill reflected every one of those swipes with a 0.00 charge. It did make for the longest tally I'd ever had at the end of a cruise![/quote']

Thanks so much! That was very helpful. :)

I'm glad this thread came up, I had similar questions!

Now the only unanswered question I have (first-time cruiser), is how does the soda card work logistically? Do you just show it when dining? Or do they swipe it like your cruise card? and do they do this for each person at the table? My mother and I will be together most of the time, so we'll each need to present our soda card, right?

They place a little sticker (with a soda logo) on your Cruise Card. You just need to show them the sticker to receive your drink. In the past I have been able to bring both mine and my husband's with me to the bar to get two drinks (one for me, one for him) which was never a problem. I have also asked for a mocktail and a soda and received both at the same time with only my card. I got all sorts of mocktails including virgin pina colada, virgin frozen margartias, "no-jito" (virgin mojito) and some others that were on the menu under the mocktail category.

Two weeks ago, Jan. 2018, we received tumblers on the Ruby. We had pre purchased the package and the cups were waiting in our stateroom.

I'm guessing that is your personal recipe rather than the ship's. Because last time one of my companions ordered the chocolate banana it was 95% ice with just a squirt of cream, chocolate (I doubt actual Hershey's) and banana flavor. No way in heck there was any fresh banana, I don't know that I have ever seen one at a bar on a Princess ship.

Does the Ice Cream Bar even serve the scoops of hard ice cream? I believe they only stock it for use in milk shakes. I guess one could ask for a serving of the free soft-serve in a glass, they purchase a soda from the bar.

You r making me smile...... each bar tender and ship makes drinks differently, right.....and if ur friend was unhappy and they had the package they just order something else and if they paid for it they ask to have a remake or request something new....

..I have had bar tenders go to another bar to get a fresh banana ..often it depends how busy the bar tender is. For example certain bars use the same menu but they do not have the ability to make all the drinks....especially the hot ones...or they do not stock mini korbels but if not busy they will go get them for you.

and I am still smiling. again,it depends on the server...yes for me they have given me the hard ice cream most of the time, if they give me the soft serve it doesn't matter...these are just suggestions for other posters....now that milkshakes have been eliminated.....

Edited by land lover

They place a little sticker (with a soda logo) on your Cruise Card. You just need to show them the sticker to receive your drink. In the past I have been able to bring both mine and my husband's with me to the bar to get two drinks (one for me, one for him) which was never a problem. I have also asked for a mocktail and a soda and received both at the same time with only my card. I got all sorts of mocktails including virgin pina colada, virgin frozen margartias, "no-jito" (virgin mojito) and some others that were on the menu under the mocktail category.

Two weeks ago, Jan. 2018, we received tumblers on the Ruby. We had pre purchased the package and the cups were waiting in our stateroom.

Not trying to be difficult, but when I pre-ordered it for my daughter, there was a voucher in the room with a form instructing us as to where to go to get the cup. This was on the Caribbean Princess. On the Diamond, I just bought it after boarding and it was handed to us at that time. Honestly, the reason I didn't pre-order for the Diamond cruises was that it had been a pain to do the voucher thing; the person at the table selling the package looked at me and my voucher like I had two heads and directed me to "any bar." At the nearest bar, they directed me to a bar where a supervisor was working. So I went three places just to get the cup, despite having the paperwork!

It seems there is little consistency...whether this represents an "over time" thing or different ships, I'm not sure.

You can also buy the Unlimited Soda Package online on your cruise personalizer.

When you order the Unlimited Soda Package online it says: "Package must be purchased for full length of voyage, cannot be shared, is non-transferable, and is non refundable within 3 days of sailing".

It is the last part of the above quote I don't understand "...is non refundable within 3 days of sailing" and I am hoping that someone can share their experience of what this actually means. Does Princess mean you can cancel the unlimited soda package in the first 3 days of sailing? The words read as though you can't get a refund in the first 3 days of sailing, but if that's the case why would they limit it to within 3 days of sailing.

When you order the Unlimited Soda Package online it says: "Package must be purchased for full length of voyage, cannot be shared, is non-transferable, and is non refundable within 3 days of sailing".

It is the last part of the above quote I don't understand "...is non refundable within 3 days of sailing" and I am hoping that someone can share their experience of what this actually means. Does Princess mean you can cancel the unlimited soda package in the first 3 days of sailing? The words read as though you can't get a refund in the first 3 days of sailing, but if that's the case why would they limit it to within 3 days of sailing.

Its 3 days of sailing on the other side, 3 days BEFORE your sailing your purchase through the cruise personalizer is refundable through the cruise personalizer.

You can cancel most of your on line bookings up to 3 days before embarkation. This includes the soda and more package. After that, you can't cancel it.

Not trying to be difficult' date=' but when I pre-ordered it for my daughter, there was a voucher in the room with a form instructing us as to where to go to get the cup. This was on the Caribbean Princess. On the Diamond, I just bought it after boarding and it was handed to us at that time. Honestly, the reason I didn't pre-order for the Diamond cruises was that it had been a pain to do the voucher thing; the person at the table selling the package looked at me and my voucher like I had two heads and directed me to "any bar." At the nearest bar, they directed me to a bar where a supervisor was working. So I went three places just to get the cup, despite having the paperwork!

It seems there is little consistency...whether this represents an "over time" thing or different ships, I'm not sure.[/quote']

I agree, as I have had the same problem with other types of vouchers and different responses on different ships...

Best to view, the cruise line as a hotel chain.....each location is handled differently.

Been traveling to long

to make assumptions....:D

The ability to cancel the puchase in the Cruise Personalizer ends three days prior to your cruise. From that point on you are fully committed.

If you wait to purchase on board as soon as you proffer your cruise card the sale is final. Not even the tiniest moment of buyers remorse is allowed. No proration for not purchasing immediately upon boarding, nor any possibility of prorated refund down the line.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The ability to cancel the puchase in the Cruise Personalizer ends three days prior to your cruise. From that point on you are fully committed.

If you wait to purchase on board as soon as you proffer your cruise card the sale is final. Not even the tiniest moment of buyers remorse is allowed. No proration for not purchasing immediately upon boarding, nor any possibility of prorated refund down the line.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You can still purchase it on the day after embarkation, but you pay the full price--same as if you had purchased 1 minute after embarkation.

The only benefit I've found to pre-purchase is that you can go to lunch and get a soda without stopping at the purchase table. On the other hand, the person doing the selling gets some sort of credit for selling it to you, so you've made a crew member a little bit happy by waiting till you board.

You can cancel most of your on line bookings up to 3 days before embarkation. This includes the soda and more package. After that' date=' you can't cancel it.[/quote']

I don't drink a lot of soda and was hoping to check out the offerings first, which I now see is not an option. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

I'm glad I asked as I have already pre-purchased the soda package. I understand the commitment now, thanks.

Just off the Caribbean Princess. My DH was able to buy a soda only package on board for 1/2 the price of the cruise personalizer package that includes mocktails. Good for those not interested in anything other than sodas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am SO glad to hear this. On our last cruise on the Diamond, we were told that the Soda only package was not available. An hour later, we found that someone had been able to get it at a different sales table. We're on the Caribbean Princess in the near future--now I know to be sure to look and ask around till I get the right answer.

Just off the Caribbean Princess. My DH was able to buy a soda only package on board for 1/2 the price of the cruise personalizer package that includes mocktails. Good for those not interested in anything other than sodas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That would be cool if this is true fleetwide. It'll save me some calories since if I don't get the AND MORE, I can avoid a few mocktales during the cruise.

Guess I can see first hand on the Royal in a bit over 2 weeks.:)

One can get just a soda package without the "and more" part. It's a bit cheaper. We always do just the unlimited soda package. While not advertised on Cruise Personalizer or on board when they're selling them, there is a different sticker that just gives soda if you'd like it. It's ~$5/day.

And this is fleetwide. We've been doing this on all ships since we first started with Princess in 2000.

One can get just a soda package without the "and more" part. It's a bit cheaper. We always do just the unlimited soda package. While not advertised on Cruise Personalizer or on board when they're selling them, there is a different sticker that just gives soda if you'd like it. It's ~$5/day.

And this is fleetwide. We've been doing this on all ships since we first started with Princess in 2000.

The just soda package disappeared a year or so ago on some ships....one now must the "and more", but at the same time, the "and more " price went down a bit

The just soda package disappeared a year or so ago on some ships....one now must the "and more", but at the same time, the "and more " price went down a bit

This seems to be inconsistent, as are many things on Princess. As noted, we were told that "soda only" was not available on our last cruise, but then I met a guest who had purchased it on that same cruise. We are cruising in the near future--I'm going to be a bit more insistent about pushing for it. The lady I met paid $5.10 for "soda only" while I paid $8.35 for "soda and more" for daughter. This was the same price I'd paid a year prior when I didn't know about "soda only." It now shows as $8.05 on the pre-purchase info, but I'm not sure if that includes the gratuity.

First, does Princess stock most of the regular coke products? Second, with the soda package it states mock cocktails are included. Does that me I can get frozen drink like a mock strawberry daiquiri?

Yes and yes! Hope this helps , worth the price!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the two threads running on this topic' date=' it looks like it is spotty. We have gotten the cup on our last 3 Princess cruises, most recently last summer. However, others are reporting not getting them. When I ordered in advance, there was a voucher in the cabin which I took to exchange for the cup. When I bought it on board, we were handed the cup at that time.[/quote']

Thanks DD always has soda package and is hoping for a new cup

I did notice we did not get them on my last cruise in December, I suspect they are making a new design or just ran out of them, because they have been the same for the past few years

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One can get just a soda package without the "and more" part.

I would love if this were true.

On my last five cruises, only the "and more" package was available.

On the cruise prior to that, after visiting several bars and arguing, although pushing the "and more"

package, they finally deigned to sell me the soda only package.

I met with the bar manager, Ana Muscovic, and asked why I should have to argue to buy something.

She was actually more upsetting than the sticker situation.

She was so useless that I met with the food and beverage manager just to complain

about her.

The attitude of both of them -- why don't you stay home?

Actually, that was Ana's attitude. The food and beverage manager just looked bored and uncomfortable.

For now, I am taking their advice.