Travel Insurance For Canadians With Pre-Existing Conditions

stoddaj1

Our traveling companions now have a pre-existing medical condition and are considering cancelling their cruise if they can not find suitable insurance. Just wondering if anyone might have suggestions for companies that might have such a thing as well as a rough idea what 10 days worth of coverage might cost?

Many thanks!

Insuremytrip.com They are in the US, but the policy I have covers Canadians too!

And yes, it is expensive for pre-existing conditions, cheaper if it is bought within 20 days of cruise downpayment. Also look on these boards....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I second insuremytrip.com

They let you policy shop based on your specific needs, and do price comparisons and read real user reviews. If it's before final payment, one thing your friends could do, is cancel and rebook in order to purchase a policy that would cover them.

Editing to add that no one here would be able to give an estimate, because many factors go into the policy cost, such as age, location of cruise, and options chosen.

I am Canadian and we have used Manulife for travel insurance. It is best to use the company that you use if you have extra health insurance with because there is a cap with the private insurance if you use a different company, which us extra from provincial health insurance. Also you cannot get insurance more than 4 months from your trip. We just found this out we were trying to get insurance for a trip in May of 2018. Manulife was able to give us a quote and we used them in june of 2017 and for the trip in 2018 it will cost double for the same length of trip. Hope this will helps.

You can typically get plans that cover pre-existing conditions, or sometimes they are plans that let you cancel for ANY reason. BUT they have a few rules. First you MUST be fit to travel when you reserve the trip, and you typically must buy the insurance within 7 or 14 of your FIRST payment for the trip. Often they wont replace your cost, but rather they will give a 100% credit on a future trip. One final thing, remember that the cost of the insurance is non-refundable, so even if you cancel and you get 100% back, you still have lost the insurance cost. So no free lunch.

Thank you everyone! Please keep the suggestions coming.

We get our travel insurance through Costco Travel. Depending on what the pre-existing condition is and how long it has been stable, the cost is not too bad. You must, however be truthful when answering the questionaire. We always call and go through the questions with the agent. DH has a stable condition, so for us it is quite easy and not too expensive. Hope this helps.

You can call Steve at tripinsurancestore and ask what options are available, if any, given your friends situation and preference. The phone contact is at http://www.tripinsurancestore.com.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I second calling Steve to see if he has options. This company does have a limited number of plans so they may not work for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums