Are there truly differences in service, Caribbean and Europe itineraries?

nanface

Being a first time Viking cruiser for a trip October ‘18, I find myself glued to these Viking Ocean threads. I want to learn from everyone and most seem to be multi-cruise Viking experts. I am finding a distinct difference in much of the posts from Caribbean itineraries to the European, even for the same ship.

The Caribbean cruises seem to be receiving many more negative posts on service, food, the embarkation process, etc. I read from one poster that because the itineraries for the Caribbean are so new, Viking just hasn’t shaken out all the bugs in their processes, excursions and the like. That may account for some disarray in new ports, but not for bad attitude of staff or food service. So, what gives?

Is the staff is the same no matter where the ships cruise? Or are they switched out when totally changing hemispheres? (kind of seems like it). Is it the passengers themselves that are different based on their chosen destinations? What do you think, oh Experienced Ones? [emoji4]

I have a friend that works on a Viking ship. She stays with the ship no matter what the itinerary. I am at a loss why people are finding it different between the two. I truly wonder if it isn't the guests themselves. I get the bugs in the other areas but not in the service. For me anyway, I have a hard time believing it.

Any complaints about embarkation in Miami are probably the fault of the port authorities, not Viking. Perhaps because they are the 'new guy in town,' and have many fewer sailings than the big three conglomerate cruise lines, they get the short end?

Guests who are not familiar with the Caribbean may be disappointed because it’s not like Europe . We travel the Caribbean every winter and we love the food and the people. They are warm and you can purchase beautiful home made items. We loved Iceland, Norway, Scotland islands and London but the price of everything is high. As for beauty, each has its own distinct appeal. You can’t compare them. So in February, we’ll be looking forward to the Caribbean/South American cruise and in April, we’ll look forward to our river cruise down the Danube. Happy travels everyone

Any complaints about embarkation in Miami are probably the fault of the port authorities, not Viking. Perhaps because they are the 'new guy in town,' and have many fewer sailings than the big three conglomerate cruise lines, they get the short end?

Jazzbeau, I agree with your statements. Many cruisers don't know that it is the port director and their staff that have control over the land-side arrangements and not the cruise ships or cruise lines themselves.

The exception maybe in the case of the major cruise lines like Carnival, RCCL, NCL etc that basically have dedicated terminals in ports like Miami and Port Everglades where they have several ships home ported there year round. Cruise lines like Viking Oceans, which has been in existence for just over two years and only starting using the Port of Miami this cruise season, is "low man on the totem pole" and get what is available at the time they will be in port. And that is subject to change at the last minute.

We had that experience in October when we cruised from NYC to San Juan on the Viking Sea. The Port of New York changed our departure terminal from Manhattan to Bayonne and back again in the course of a couple of weeks just before we sailed.

I am glad to hear this. It just didn't make sense that there was a real difference. Other than port issues, I am assuming the negative comments were anomalies and not the norm. Thanks for the comments on this. We are excited to sail on the Sky next October - hopefully the first of many Viking cruises!

Nan & Dean

We have been on the Viking Star in the Mediterranean and in Norway and are currently on the Viking Sea in the Caribbean. Everything is great and as good as it has always been. We did a tour of the kitchen yesterday. The chef showed us the detailed specific books they use so that every dish on every ship is prepared identically. He mentioned that he is in the kitchen 10 or more hours a day, and that if he was moved to the kitchen of a different Viking Ocean ship, he would not be able to detect that he had moved. Staff are gracious, musicians are better than when we were in Norway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am glad to hear this. It just didn't make sense that there was a real difference. Other than port issues, I am assuming the negative comments were anomalies and not the norm. Thanks for the comments on this. We are excited to sail on the Sky next October - hopefully the first of many Viking cruises!

Nan & Dean

Imho, when a board regular starts complaining about something, then it is time to listen. One hit wonders come and go. They usually come just to vent their anger or annoyance. In other words, you have to look not only at what is being said but who is saying it. One negative post does not make a trend.