Hotel on the way to Long Beach

mkcurran

Does anybody have a recommendation for a hotel within 1-2 hours driving time of the Long Beach pier either to the south or east?

I'd like to head over the day before the cruise, but I don't want to spend more money on a hotel the night before the cruise than on the cruise itself. So I'm thinking staying a little bit away could be the answer. We could approach the Pier from either Riverside or San Diego.

Suggestions?

The usual recommended hotels in Long Beach are wanting $300+ per room for the night before our cruise.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a hotel within 1-2 hours driving time of the Long Beach pier either to the south or east?

I'd like to head over the day before the cruise, but I don't want to spend more money on a hotel the night before the cruise than on the cruise itself. So I'm thinking staying a little bit away could be the answer. We could approach the Pier from either Riverside or San Diego.

Suggestions?

The usual recommended hotels in Long Beach are wanting $300+ per room for the night before our cruise.

Okay...if you are driving in from the south, within an hour of the port, you are talking the “OC”... there are extremely nice areas...like Newport Beach...but hotel prices at decent places may top Long Beach. Laguna Beach is a great town and you may find something somewhat reasonable there, but, depending on time of year and day of the week, you may find that pricey. Lots of hotels around Disneyland/Anaheim Convention Center...But, again, may be up in price...Seal Beach would be an excellent choice close to port... Beware some areas of the OC...Santa Ana, Garden Grove, Westminster, Stanton, Hawaiian Gardens, etc. are NOT very good neighborhoods. In So Cal, a low hotel price just often means you are in a dump or an extremely undesirable location.

Coming in from the East, one issue is time of year...the “IE”—Inland Empire—can be HOT and smoggy...and, again, some areas undesirable. In Riverside, I’ve only stayed at the Mission Inn (quite nice but pricey) or at the hotels right at the Convention Center. Ontario has a lot of Airport adjacent hotels and some major chains...but sort of a worthless location unless you have reason to be at the airport. Claremont is a great town—historical with a large college complex. If you come in on the 91, Anaheim Hills, Orange and Brea might be worth a look...

Good luck...

Okay...if you are driving in from the south, within an hour of the port, you are talking the “OC”... there are extremely nice areas...like Newport Beach...but hotel prices at decent places may top Long Beach. Laguna Beach is a great town and you may find something somewhat reasonable there, but, depending on time of year and day of the week, you may find that pricey. Lots of hotels around Disneyland/Anaheim Convention Center...But, again, may be up in price...Seal Beach would be an excellent choice close to port... Beware some areas of the OC...Santa Ana, Garden Grove, Westminster, Stanton, Hawaiian Gardens, etc. are NOT very good neighborhoods. In So Cal, a low hotel price just often means you are in a dump or an extremely undesirable location.

Coming in from the East, one issue is time of year...the “IE”—Inland Empire—can be HOT and smoggy...and, again, some areas undesirable. In Riverside, I’ve only stayed at the Mission Inn (quite nice but pricey) or at the hotels right at the Convention Center. Ontario has a lot of Airport adjacent hotels and some major chains...but sort of a worthless location unless you have reason to be at the airport. Claremont is a great town—historical with a large college complex. If you come in on the 91, Anaheim Hills, Orange and Brea might be worth a look...

Good luck...

Thank you! First you confirmed my suspicion that coming in from the south is probably the best way to go for hotels. It looks like Laguna Beach or San Clemente in well with-in the budget. Worst case scenario is Irvine near the OC airport. But I'm pretty sure I can make the beach work.

We are staying this week at the Maya Double Tree in Long Beach. We are paying $179 a night. It is within a mile of the Aquarium. Check their prices.

The Maya is across the channel from the Aquarium and most of the shops and restaurants of Downtown Long Beach. No matter how close, you won’t want to walk across the bridge. The City of Long Beach runs a free shuttle, called the “Passport”, on a loop around Downtown. There are two stops on that side of the channel—one of them right in front of the Maya. That will take you across the bridge to the Aquarium, Shoreline Village, Pine Avenue and other stops on the other side of the bridge. Between the Aquarium and Shoreline Village, there is a whole string of restaurants..for all tastes...plus a few more in the Pike center in that area...and more going up Pine...Lots to do in that area...

The Maya is very convenient for a one night stay and they have a park n cruise rate that is reasonable. IF you cannot do it on their web site I have the e mail for the reservation manager who has been helpful to me(and to others) in the past. Let me know if you think that would help?

I am just wondering what cruise you are on?

I have never seen the prices for the Long Beach hotels as high as you have mentioned and some have park n cruise rates too. Just wondering?

I'm boarding the Splendor on 4/28, just a little over a month after you. :)

We are staying this week at the Maya Double Tree in Long Beach. We are paying $179 a night. It is within a mile of the Aquarium. Check their prices.

Right at $700 for two rooms the night before our cruise. With taxes and fees for the Maya. Even the hotel current is coming in at close to $500.

It looks like there is a big yachting event the week before your cruise.

Not sure if that is affecting the price?

You might want to e mail the manager anyway to see if she can do anything at all for you.

jessica.jimenez2@hilton.com

I have no idea if she can do anything for that busy week but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck

It looks like there is a big yachting event the week before your cruise.

Not sure if that is affecting the price?

You might want to e mail the manager anyway to see if she can do anything at all for you.

jessica.jimenez2@hilton.com

I have no idea if she can do anything for that busy week but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck

I appreciate it, but as I found out that my parents plan on bringing the wheelchair, possibly two walkers, and about twice as much luggage as they should, Parking at the port is going to be more convenient. Rather than trying to lug all of that stuff in and out of a shuttle. If it were just me and my hubby, I'd be all about staying there.

So i'll keep this information for the next trip.

Thanks!