The Havens

DCLCrazy

I will never pay the price for the Haven again. Too many low-class low-lifes ruining the experience. (I could tell you so many stories, including being threatened with assault by a drunken bimbo.) The only thing I will consider anymore is the GV or OS on the Dawn/Star/Jewel class ships.

Sounds like you were on my November 4th sailing... there were some real People of Walmart in the Haven. Not enough to put me off permanently, but they certainly had an effect on the experience.

Hello all

This has been a most interesting thread.

Can I just say that "Haven" is not a generic term.

The Haven is not the same on all ships. That must lead to some confusion and disappointments.

I have been 3 times on Epic's Haven. It cannot be compared to the Jade Haven.

To give the impression on advertising material that the "Haven" experience is the same on all ships is very misleading of NCL. It is deceptive.

An upgrade to the "Haven" means different things on different ships.

Buyer Beware.

Good sailing to all.

Deeko

But you haven't been to the Jade haven.... you can't really comment on the feeling of it unless you've experienced it.

A

Then there are the significant differences in the "better" cruise offerings like food quality, cabin bedding and amenities, crew ratio, TA commission sharing, etc. (Oceania and Regent easily spend twice per passenger on food than does NCL). Of course, there's also what you don't get with the "better" product: art auctions, incessant announcements, bothersome photogs, chair hogs, thundering herds, tyro hotel staff AND (on the far smaller premium/luxury/expedition ships) no Vegas wannabe glitch and gimmicks.

Interesting statement. Is that statistically accurate or just a generalization? I ask because I have noticed quality differences between the same restaurants (moderno, cagneys, etc) on different NCL ships. I'm wondering if lines like Oceania and Regent spend more on food ("twice per passenger") or if they just have a more stringent quality philosophy.

That is clearly your "feeling".

The current offer to bid for an upgrade has a number of photographs of each Haven cabin. The last photograph is in fact a video. It is called the "Haven Experience". The clear impression given is that what is shown in the video relates to every Haven.

My "feeling is that it is deceptive.

Have you seen the video sven???

Good to hear from you.

Deeko

I can only comment things I have seen and no, I haven't seen the video you mention. As I understand it the offer to bid is not for us in Europe and since I'm only interested in a suite the bidding shouldn't be interested to me anyway.

Unless they say that all Havens are equal I don't think that it's deceptive. It's up to everyone to do enough research.

Edited by sverigecruiser

Interesting statement. Is that statistically accurate or just a generalization? I ask because I have noticed quality differences between the same restaurants (moderno, cagneys, etc) on different NCL ships. I'm wondering if lines like Oceania and Regent spend more on food ("twice per passenger") or if they just have a more stringent quality philosophy.

Last year there was a repost on CC of some older industry-wide data (c. 2010???). I just googled for it:

"Here is a general break-down, per passenger, per day:

Seabourn, Silver Sea - $24 - 26 per day

Oceania, Regent - $18 - 20 per day

Celebrity, Princess - $12 - 15 per day

RCCL, HAL - $12 - 13 per day

Carnival - $8 - 10 per day

NCL - $7.50 - 8.50 per day

Bear in mind that itinerary has a lot to do with these numbers."

Of course, for 2017-18 these numbers will probably be different though it is a good bet that a line like Oceania, which works very hard to maintain its reputation for the "best food at sea," will maintain its considerably higher expenditure/passenger than the mass market lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums