The Havens

DCLCrazy

I could tell you all the reasons I have cruised in Haven suites on NCL but now that NCL has become the Priceline of cruising It is insulting to those of us who outright book suites to see how low the folks next door paid compared to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I go back and forth on this one. We also only book into the Haven outright and I have gotten more annoyed with this new bidding program not just for the price discrepancies, but also the noticeable increase in strain on service demands we have noticed.

On our first Haven cruise (pre Upgrade program) everything was just so relaxed and the butler/staff to cruiser ratio seemed perfect. Since the new program has gone into place we have found each trip to be a little more stressful in the Haven and a little less ability to get things done for us. It is clear they are struggling under the demands.

I know the Haven always sails full so it's not a numbers thing. One of the butlers told me they are experiencing this "once in a lifetime trip" effect the upgrade program is creating. And upgraders are demanding everything under the sun to"get their money's worth."

I also experienced this once myself on the Breakaway where a woman announced at embarkation how she got such a good upgrade bid deal and she was looking forward to the trip. Everyone around her was really happy for her, but as soon as she got on the ship she pushed her way in front of about 4 other people to talk the the Conceirge. We went to get drinks at the bar and 45 mins later she was STILL there! As we left the lounge I actually heard her say: "is there anything else I need to know about free stuff I can get or special privileges I get as a Haven guest." Snoop just looked at her dumbfounded.

In the end, we know just go and don't let anyone effect our trip. I agree that if I continue to see the strain on service we will probably look the Regent. My big issue is I LOVE the DOS suites on the big ships and I don't want to give it up for a smaller suite on a Regent ship with an older demographic.

Snoop just looked at her dumbfounded.

In the end, we know just go and don't let anyone effect our trip. I agree that if I continue to see the strain on service we will probably look the Regent. My big issue is I LOVE the DOS suites on the big ships and I don't want to give it up for a smaller suite on a Regent ship with an older demographic.

It's Anoop.....but his nickname from now on will be Snoop.:')

Before making the jump to Regent SS, maybe look at Oceania, MSC Yacht Club, or Celebrity (especially Edge, under construction).

It's Anoop.....but his nickname from now on will be Snoop.:')

Before making the jump to Regent SS, maybe look at Oceania, MSC Yacht Club, or Celebrity (especially Edge, under construction).

Lol, bad typo! Ha. Yes, we love Anoop! Thank you for the advice, I will look into it!

I go back and forth on this one. We also only book into the Haven outright and I have gotten more annoyed with this new bidding program not just for the price discrepancies, but also the noticeable increase in strain on service demands we have noticed.

On our first Haven cruise (pre Upgrade program) everything was just so relaxed and the butler/staff to cruiser ratio seemed perfect. Since the new program has gone into place we have found each trip to be a little more stressful in the Haven and a little less ability to get things done for us. It is clear they are struggling under the demands.

I know the Haven always sails full so it's not a numbers thing. One of the butlers told me they are experiencing this "once in a lifetime trip" effect the upgrade program is creating. And upgraders are demanding everything under the sun to"get their money's worth."

I also experienced this once myself on the Breakaway where a woman announced at embarkation how she got such a good upgrade bid deal and she was looking forward to the trip. Everyone around her was really happy for her, but as soon as she got on the ship she pushed her way in front of about 4 other people to talk the the Conceirge. We went to get drinks at the bar and 45 mins later she was STILL there! As we left the lounge I actually heard her say: "is there anything else I need to know about free stuff I can get or special privileges I get as a Haven guest." Snoop just looked at her dumbfounded.

I have noticed this too. There was one woman at the guest relations desk that was monopolizing the crew and then she pulled out her phone to call the butler and was alternating between giving the butler her requests and asking the crew about who knows what.

Luckily we only cruise in the Haven for the bigger rooms and extra bath so someone acting like this has no effect on me except to feel sorry for the staff because they seem somewhat more stressed out the last couple of years.

I loved the DOS 17004 on Epic with the Magnificent Maxi as our butler. He is just top of his game.

I too saw families where multiple cabins sailed and one would get a bid upgrade and swarm the butler and concierge to try and share as many perks as they could get away with.

I got the loyalty match to BLACK on MSC so I am exploring them. I just hate their website.

You also have to remember the Haven varies by class of ship. We were on the Jade over Christmas in the Owners Suite and while we did have some meals in Cagney’s (lunch) or Moderno (breakfast), we never actually went to the private Haven area. Why leave a private forward-facing balcony? I loved this cabin (10004, forward starboard with two balconies.)

I have found the butlers and concierges can vary which is why people constantly start threads about whom is where. A good butler (we had Aries on this trip) and concierge (Omar) make all the difference - they will do things you didn’t know you needed.

I doubt I would pay full-fare but we have sailed on accepted bids twice and the extra over our original fare was worth it for me.

For relaxation, it’s very difficult to beat, especially on the Jewel class where the cabins were designed as suites before the Haven was invented - even though (as mentioned) you do get people who pay the money and think the entire staff are their slaves. You can buy the Haven but it doesn’t automatically give you class. Those people are fun to watch for a while, and the more obnoxious they are, the better service you can get - just by being reasonable.

I’m pretty sure that most of the people who book inside cabins because they’re “never in their cabin anyway” have never been in a Haven cabin. Some cabins are worth spending time there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are travelling with our two boys in their 20s as their college graduation gift. Adjoining cabins are just over 6000K, a 2 bedroom Haven is 10K.

I'm not discounting the 4k but it makes for a true family vacation with a place for everyone to hang out and not be in each others space.

We've done the "kids" in an inside across the hall and but really want to be together. Did the haven on the Epic and it was so amazing.

Our trip isn't until May 2019 so I hope the rate will drop a bit and I know I can squirrel away money knowing it will go towards the haven.

I could tell you all the reasons I have cruised in Haven suites on NCL but now that NCL has become the Priceline of cruising It is insulting to those of us who outright book suites to see how low the folks next door paid compared to us.

Agree.

They have raised the prices for the suites so much so for me who only cruise if I have a suite NCL is not an alternativ anymore. If I could book a balcony and hope for a bid upgrade it should be different but I'm not interested in a balcony.

MSC Yacht Club is much better value for money.

In the past, we've chosen to cruise less in favor of nicer cabins. We DO spend a lot of time hanging out in the cabin (and on our balcony). We couldn't care less about the butler and concierge. The lounges are a nice perk, as are the first off the ship privileges. We've sailed in OS, Penthouses and GS. I would love to try Haven but just can't justify dropping over $10k for a 7-day vacation, so I doubt it would ever be in the cards for us.

Havens have kind of turned into a beach house scenario. Large families go in together on them, maximizing the capacity, and then split the cost, so it doesn't seem like it's as expensive as it is. If you're a family of two or three, the prices just aren't reasonable. I would hate to splurge only to have my experience ruined by all the unruly kids I keep hearing about in the reviews.

It's the same on the Oasis and Quantum classes on Royal. We are sailing in 2 balconies for about $4k when one loft suite would cost us $12k (one of the spring break weeks).

Our Breakaway cruise in February 2015 costed around $8000 for two for 12 nights in a forward facing penthouse, not located in the Haven but with full access and all perks.

When we looked at cruises on the Epic for this summer the price for a suite was $9000 for a week. Too much, we think.

A Yacht Club suite on the brand new MSC Meraviglia costed around $6000, if I remember correct. Much better value for money!

I cruise in Haven suites for the view from the bathtub, along with the space for kiddo. However, the new pricing also has me cruising elsewhere. This next theme cruise, I have an aft balcony on a jewel class that I am figuring out if it needs to be my last on NCL. We have done enough cruises for me to be Platinum, so we have matching status on MSC. I would rather NCL, but Royal gets me 2 cabins for less than a Haven under the current insanity. Royal's newest ships also are intriguing, though the lack of certain spa features have me annoyed and the RCI itineraries are lackluster.

I did the same "look elsewhere" when Disney cruise prices went loco. Mr. FDR needs to recognize his product does have a price limit; the H4 and H6 cabin features are nice, but diminishing on-board service means I won't pay Disney prices for Norwegian service.

I cruise in Haven suites for the view from the bathtub, along with the space for kiddo. However, the new pricing also has me cruising elsewhere. This next theme cruise, I have an aft balcony on a jewel class that I am figuring out if it needs to be my last on NCL. We have done enough cruises for me to be Platinum, so we have matching status on MSC. I would rather NCL, but Royal gets me 2 cabins for less than a Haven under the current insanity. Royal's newest ships also are intriguing, though the lack of certain spa features have me annoyed and the RCI itineraries are lackluster.

I did the same "look elsewhere" when Disney cruise prices went loco. Mr. FDR needs to recognize his product does have a price limit; the H4 and H6 cabin features are nice, but diminishing on-board service means I won't pay Disney prices for Norwegian service.

I have to agree with you. On our last cruise on Epic in the forward DOS we had a great view from our huge tub. It was heaven.

I’ve never sailed in a Haven, but I’m always seeing posts from people who won’t sail unless they’re in one. Are the Haven rooms that much better that you would spend minimum $15k more on the same cruise that could cost you $3k? The perks cannot add up to $12k alone. [emoji848] I’m not knocking anyone for choosing to sail that way. I’m just genuinely interested in why it’s worth that much extra.

Among other things like trying to be "everything to everybody" (I.e., provide something for all different preferences, expectations and means in order to fill their floating amusement parks), NCL's Haven concept also is somewhat of a "come on" designed to entice mass market sailors into considering the consortium's higher end products (i.e., Oceania and Regent).

Of course, the only problem is that once you walk outside of the Haven enclave, you're still on an NCL ship with both its perks and problems (to each his/her own!).

As for the price difference, it's erroneous to just compare cabin prices. In fact, I have often posted on CC an explanation of "net daily rate" calculation:

In comparing "apples to apples" for bottom line cruise pricing, one has to include all required/anticipated expenses, which may be included with the "better" product though extra cost on the "discount" line. For example, if you need to fly internationally to your cruise, it's an extra charge on NCL but it (or an air credit) is included on Oceania and Regent). That could easily mean a value of $2k per person. Same goes for other things like gratuities, specialty restaurants, beverages, booze, excursions, OBC, et al. Add the cost/value of everything you want/need and divide by the number of total vacation days. The bottom line "net daily rate" may be extremely surprising to some folks.

Then there are the significant differences in the "better" cruise offerings like food quality, cabin bedding and amenities, crew ratio, TA commission sharing, etc. (Oceania and Regent easily spend twice per passenger on food than does NCL). Of course, there's also what you don't get with the "better" product: art auctions, incessant announcements, bothersome photogs, chair hogs, thundering herds, tyro hotel staff AND (on the far smaller premium/luxury/expedition ships) no Vegas wannabe glitch and gimmicks.

So, one really needs to look at what one wants/gets for their hard earned dollars. Years ago, particularly when our daughter was young, we cruised on the mass market lines. Had there been a Disney cruise line then, it would've been our choice for a family cruise now and then. Instead, we would usually use RCI for it's kid programs and endure all the other shortcomings.

Now, with young granddaughter, we do yearly Disneyland in SoCal. But when she's old enough for cruising, we'll occasionally take her on our line of choice, Oceania, where we hope she will start developing a cosmopolitan style and expectations for her future travel.

So, do consider the Haven in terms of "net daily rate and true value related to your needs and preferences. But, then get ready to start wanting to move up the pecking order.

I will never pay the price for the Haven again. Too many low-class low-lifes ruining the experience. (I could tell you so many stories, including being threatened with assault by a drunken bimbo.) The only thing I will consider anymore is the GV or OS on the Dawn/Star/Jewel class ships.

See my post above (#21) right after yours. Time to consider premium/luxury lines.

Some sailings the pricing on Haven suites is in my realm of reason. But for our Alaska sailing on the Jewel the pricing is off the charts. About 2k/night (for 2) for the least expensive Haven penthouse. Garden villa is $4500/night. Of course all Haven suites are still available. Nobody biting at those prices! I suspect some Haven suites at this price point are comped to high rollers, organizers of large groups... the list pricing is out there just in case they come across someone who will pay. The rest go to upsell, which seems to be the only way we can justify anymore. If price was more within reach like they are for many sailings we would be happy to book instead of playing the upsell game but somehow i seem to pick the more expensive sailings. We love the Haven but I’m fine in a non Haven room too. Food is a little better in suite level venues but still not on par with say Applebee’s - just fancier presentation and service. Best part about Haven is the lack of crowds, not much waiting, a nicer room and good coffee. Not 2k/night good but certainly worth more than non Haven.

We like the haven for 2 reasons. The first is that we have 3 teenage sons that I do not trust in their own cabin. There are very few cruise lines who allow 5 in a cabin and we like the family suites on NCL. The second is that my husband has a food allergy that can ruin our trip. The Haven staff pay more attention to his needs and the Haven restaurant gives us a better dining experience. For those reasons, we are willing to pay more. We don’t care about the courtyard.

Why is it, that no one posts pictures of their Haven cabin pictures? Or have I just missed seeing them?
Dawn Garden villa Living Room Thanksgiving week 2017. We had a party of 16 people in a total of 6 cabins. It was wonderful to have the space to meet up in, relax, make plans and dine at our own pace. For the amount of space, privacy and service, we find great value/per person cost when we want to celebrate a life milestone.

0089b331a8a1efcbc58f6b4d9a874235.jpg277ece81ef002d3e6cf816a93bb2e0f8.jpg

Looked into the Haven on the Getaway, thought of splurging and getting the perks and a way to get away from the masses, First the pricing is crazy, but I require a handicapped room an did some research and the only handicapped Haven room has a tiny balcony I do not think my wheelchair would fit and there is no way to take an elevator to the Haven deck (or Vibe) without getting assistance on a lift (I don't think so) So I opted for a aft facing mini suite with one of the largest balconies on the ship for 1/2 the price

Looked into the Haven on the Getaway, thought of splurging and getting the perks and a way to get away from the masses, First the pricing is crazy, but I require a handicapped room an did some research and the only handicapped Haven room has a tiny balcony I do not think my wheelchair would fit and there is no way to take an elevator to the Haven deck (or Vibe) without getting assistance on a lift (I don't think so) So I opted for a aft facing mini suite with one of the largest balconies on the ship for 1/2 the price
The aft-facing mini suite is great, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise. However, if you do want to consider the Haven in the future, there is a crew elevator to the Haven sun deck near the concierge deck on the Breakaway and Getaway and the staff will happily take you up and down whenever you want. No need to use the outdoor lift (at the stairs.) I use a mobility scooter and it's never been an issue getting upstairs!

The aft-facing mini suite is great, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise. However, if you do want to consider the Haven in the future, there is a crew elevator to the Haven sun deck near the concierge deck on the Breakaway and Getaway and the staff will happily take you up and down whenever you want. No need to use the outdoor lift (at the stairs.) I use a mobility scooter and it's never been an issue getting upstairs!

Thanks for the reply

Yes I was told that when I asked NCL

I like my independence, I do not like to ask, and I hate being stuck anywhere

I just think they should have thought it thru and had a elevator to that deck and one to access the sports deck too