Know of any free wifi spots in Jamaica or Cozumel?

Smiling Sue

We are sailing the western Itinerary next week and will have stops in Labadee, Cozumel, and Jamaica. We are not buying the wifi cruise package, but curious to know how hard it is to check on the kids (and grandma) back home. Does anyone know of places close to where the ship docks where we can walk? Many thanks! :-)

PS - we have iphones and live here in the midwest

Stick to the ship - on Harmony others have reported that iMessages go through (assuming you have WiFI calling enabled - try it at home before you leave) without any VOOM package. Ask your wait staff for free WiFi locations at the ports.

In Falmouth, Jamaica in late 2014, I remember sitting on a bench outside a shop on the pier and being able to connect to a shops free wifi. There were a few shops that had free wifi from what I remember.

I don't think I got any in Haiti and I was in Cozumel in October and there were a few spots to get free wifi by the pier, but it wasn't great.

As Biker19 said- my Mom managed to send iMessages a few times on board Harmony with no wifi package! Our phones were on Airplane Mode as we are from UK (safest way to not get any extra charges when away) and I think she sent about 5 or 6 messages from our interior cabin with no wifi package. Just iPhone on Airplane mode but with Wifi switched on and connect to Royal wifi. I think the key is to connect to Royal Wifi but don't go ahead to pay for Wifi and it seems iMessages will send and receive.

Check with your carrier too - we have Verizon and can sign up for their international plan that just includes Canada and Mexico. I think it was maybe $5/day for their Travel Pass? That allowed us phone usage in Mexican ports to check in. I don't think it was something you had to permanently add to your plan.

Cozumel - There are several covered areas in the shopping plaza before you get to the ships with benches that have free wi-fi; one is closer to Senor Frogs the other closer to the entry to the plazas. Worked fine a few weeks ago (one has a colorful/cart in middle for pictures)....

We are sailing the western Itinerary next week and will have stops in Labadee, Cozumel, and Jamaica. We are not buying the wifi cruise package, but curious to know how hard it is to check on the kids (and grandma) back home. Does anyone know of places close to where the ship docks where we can walk? Many thanks! :-)

PS - we have iphones and live here in the midwest

We just returned from those ports. Both Jamaica and Cozumel have restaurants at the ports with free wi-fi, you just have to buy a soda or something and the waitress will enter the password into your phone. We went to Margaritaville. We didn't take our phones off the ship in Labadee because we knew we'd be in the water, so I'm not sure about wi-fi there. Have fun!! Bring water shoes, depending on which beach you go to, some of them are rocky.

We usually hang out at Pepe's Pier Bar right by the ship in Cozumel. Cute little place with swings at the bar and inexpensive drinks (at least compared to the ship!). If you order something to drink, they will give you the password for the wifi. At least that's what they did for us in '14 and '16. Hoping they'll do the same again in January. :D

The crew will know. On our Serenade of the Seas cruise, we asked our waiter and assistant waiter. They knew exactly where to go for free Wifi in our ports. You can also just follow the crew when you get off the ship -- they go straight to the free wifi spots!