Emailing Maitre’d

sfnew2sail

Email below----replace the XX with the ship's code (Dream = DR). We found it's usually best to email about 5 days before your cruise.

Maitre d' - xxmaitred@carnival.com

Steakhouse - xxsteakhouse@carnival.com (for ships with a steakhouse)

BR Breeze

CQ Conquest

DR Dream

EC Ecstacy

EL Elation

FA Fantasy

FD Freedom

FS Fascination

GL Glory

IM Imagination

IS Inspiration

LE Legend

LI Liberty

MC Magic

MI Miracle

PA Paradise

PR Pride

SE Sensation

SL Splendor

SP Spirit

SH Sunshine

TI Triumph

VA Valor

VI Victory

VS Vista

If you email they may or may not answer yours - but they usually do their best to accommodate your request.

Best to email a couple of days after the cruise before yours sails. That way they've done their stuff with the current passengers and are working on the upcoming cruise.

I'm pretty sure I read on Heald's post not to do this because they aren't required to respond to your email. Does anyone else remember seeing this?

It has been said many times on his blog not to email the maitre'd and let him and his assistants handle those requests. So, many years ago I gave him his chance and did not get what I requested, so now I always email the maitre'd directly. I get a response about 75% of the time, but I always get what I requested response or not. I have developed a rapport with quite a few maitre'ds in the fleet this way. Bottom line is, the more people that have to get involved with your request, the more chances it will get screwed up! :cool:

It has been said many times on his blog not to email the maitre'd and let him and his assistants handle those requests. So, many years ago I gave him his chance and did not get what I requested, so now I always email the maitre'd directly. I get a response about 75% of the time, but I always get what I requested response or not. I have developed a rapport with quite a few maitre'ds in the fleet this way. Bottom line is, the more people that have to get involved with your request, the more chances it will get screwed up! :cool:

Some folks are just special!

Heald has requested numerous times. Some people wouldn't respect that even if Carnival added to the cruise contract.

A request is not a rule, and I followed his request one time and he (probably his assistants) dropped the ball. Why would I go that way again?

I am not a JH basher as I have sailed with him many times and had quite a few pleasant conversations with him, but with all the requests people bombard him with, some will fall through the cracks. Bottom line is, you can go through whatever channels you choose for requests like these, and I will go right to the source until a maitre'd tells me to stop, at which time I will.

In this age of computers ... there is no reason Carnival cannot add an option to request the size table you'd prefer at the same time you choose early or late dining. If there was such a table size choice there would be way less feeling the need to email the maitre'd. Other cruise lines can do it .... Carnival could too.

We did it the way we "should" once. We had a seating problem on the Sunshine as we wanted a large table and did not email that request prior to sailing. Even after seeing the maitre'd the day of sailing we ended up with a table for 2 in a lousy location. :(

In this age of computers ... there is no reason Carnival cannot add an option to request the size table you'd prefer at the same time you choose early or late dining. If there was such a table size choice there would be way less feeling the need to email the maitre'd. Other cruise lines can do it .... Carnival could too.

We did it the way we "should" once. We had a seating problem on the Sunshine as we wanted a large table and did not email that request prior to sailing. Even after seeing the maitre'd the day of sailing we ended up with a table for 2 in a lousy location. :(

You are absolutely right. I just sent an E-mail to the Matre"d for a cruise I am taking in 20 days. Why should I be stuck with a table for 2 if I want company for the entire cruise? If I want to be alone, that's fine too. How hard can this be to do if you have access to a computer and they have to assign tables anyway? In addition, if they process a request prior to the cruise, they won't spend arrival day changing tables for those unhappy with what originally given to them. Their is a bit of arrogance to forced seating especially when the reason given is that we are busy.

If this is an impossible situation to do, then make it another VIP privilege. It won't cost any thing and at least Carnival will make some people happy. I mean happier.

You can't always get what you want, and if entitled/arrogant individuals outnumber available tables, someone loses. The same with groups. The largest group gets the prize, and I believe trumps individuals. Aren't the initial table assignments done by Miami?

With 200,000+ Platinum cruisers, and thousands of Diamonds, adding it as a perk makes no sense.

Now I'm on the fence about emailing my Maitre'd closer to my cruise. I saw this thread, and figured it would be a great way to get a 2 top table for my cruise. But a lot of people in here are saying NOT to do so. I was initially going to talk to the Maitre'd as soon as I got onboard, but I have the latest boarding time, and don't want to miss my chance.

You can't always get what you want, and if entitled/arrogant individuals outnumber available tables, someone loses. The same with groups. The largest group gets the prize, and I believe trumps individuals. Aren't the initial table assignments done by Miami?

With 200,000+ Platinum cruisers, and thousands of Diamonds, adding it as a perk makes no sense.

I am neither entitled or arrogant. We eat in the MDR every night. I'm not asking for the moon - I just want to be assigned a large table to be able to chat with others during dinner.

If I had another option for requesting that type of seating I would utilize it. Because Facebook uses real names - If you send a request to JH you must post private information that announces you will be out of town for a cruise.

If you wait until you board the maitre'd may not be able to make the desired change - as per my own personal experience.:(

Knowing the BEST way to obtain the dining room arrangements that you want does not make one entitled or arrogant. On every cruise there is only a very small percentage that read this board, or any other board, that would even know how to request a particular type of table. If you go the JH route it is a 50-50 chance. If you see the maitre'd when you board it is also a 50-50 chance, and even then if he can accommodate you, you may have to wait for the second night. The many times that I have emailed the maitre'd, I have always gotten the table I requested. Nothing special about that. Please and thank you go a long way. Like I said before, the first time a maitre'd tells me not to email, I will stop, but until then..... BTW, I fully agree that your dining requests should be handled through the Manage Your Cruise section of the Carnival website. :cool:

• Like 1

Knowing the BEST way to obtain the dining room arrangements that you want does not make one entitled or arrogant. On every cruise there is only a very small percentage that read this board, or any other board, that would even know how to request a particular type of table. If you go the JH route it is a 50-50 chance. If you see the maitre'd when you board it is also a 50-50 chance, and even then if he can accommodate you, you may have to wait for the second night. The many times that I have emailed the maitre'd, I have always gotten the table I requested. Nothing special about that. Please and thank you go a long way. Like I said before, the first time a maitre'd tells me not to email, I will stop, but until then..... BTW, I fully agree that your dining requests should be handled through the Manage Your Cruise section of the Carnival website. :cool:

I agree with you wholeheartedly (as I did when we met you and your lovely wife on the Panama Canal Cruise). When we first started cruising in the 90's one of the questions along with early or late seating (no YTD in those days) was "would you like a table for 2, 4 6 or 8?" Whether we've been lucky or it actually works----every time we've emailed the Maitre D with a request we have had that request "granted".

To Jamman and to EVERYONE may we wish you a happy, healthy, prosperous New Year!

When you purchase a cruise, you are asked to pick a Category. They ask what deck you want to be on? They ask if you want the front, middle or back of the ship? Do you want a King or two twin beds? Do you want an assigned dining time or go any time? Do you want the beds fixed twice or once a day? Nice gestures to make you happy with the cruise.

After all that is arranged, they tell you that dining assignment will be established upon arrival on a take it or leave it basis and don't inquire ahead of time because they will be quite busy. Besides, you can always change tables the next day so why bother for your input ahead of time.

So why doesn't Carnival ask for a preferred dining time at the time of purchase and try (if at all possible) to fill the request. If you can't, "So be It!"

You are absolutely right. I just sent an E-mail to the Matre"d for a cruise I am taking in 20 days. Why should I be stuck with a table for 2 if I want company for the entire cruise? If I want to be alone, that's fine too. How hard can this be to do if you have access to a computer and they have to assign tables anyway? In addition, if they process a request prior to the cruise, they won't spend arrival day changing tables for those unhappy with what originally given to them. Their is a bit of arrogance to forced seating especially when the reason given is that we are busy.

If this is an impossible situation to do, then make it another VIP privilege. It won't cost any thing and at least Carnival will make some people happy. I mean happier.

The Maitres do table assignments the week before so 20 days out is a good way to get your request lost.

• 6 months later...
Email below----replace the XX with the ship's code (Dream = DR). We found it's usually best to email about 5 days before your cruise.

Maitre d' - xxmaitred@carnival.com

Steakhouse - xxsteakhouse@carnival.com (for ships with a steakhouse)

BR Breeze

CQ Conquest

DR Dream

EC Ecstacy

EL Elation

FA Fantasy

FD Freedom

FS Fascination

GL Glory

IM Imagination

IS Inspiration

LE Legend

LI Liberty

MC Magic

MI Miracle

PA Paradise

PR Pride

SE Sensation

SL Splendor

SP Spirit

SH Sunshine

TI Triumph

VA Valor

VI Victory

VS Vista

Any idea what the 2 letter code for Horizon is. Thanks!