Grand Bahamas Island

FirstRodeo

Hey cruisers. My mom and I are going on a fun Sky trip at the end of January. I can’t seem to find anything under port of call or under roll call.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions of what to do when we stop at Grand Bahamas Island? On the NCL website, it’s not showing any excursions at all to plan for this Island. I’d like to get off ship to explore because we’ve never been before. Do you guys do excursions with the ship or different party excursion providers?

Thank you and we hope to get responses!

Happy (almost) New Year! 3b1b5c741a6f47f635a45bdd531fe128.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went there this summer with another line. Assuming ncl docks in the same spot i think there was a senior frogs and a few shops at the port. Nothing else close as it's a rather industrial port. We went to an all inclusive beach area. It was probably a 20-30 min bus ride. Decent enough beach. It was through the cruise line, but the other boat docked there had people at the same place. Forget the name of the place though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Been to Freeport a few times. Many years ago it was a dump. Last time we were there I was impressed at the work that had been done to make it a welcoming port. Lots to do there and we like it better then Nassau. I wish more cruises went to Freeport rather then Nassau.

The actual port in Freeport is industrial...you will have to leave the port area to do almost anything. A guidebook is a very useful reference when you're going someplace you've never been. Libraries have them in the reference section!

The actual port in Freeport is industrial...you will have to leave the port area to do almost anything. A guidebook is a very useful reference when you're going someplace you've never been. Libraries have them in the reference section!

It use to be not anymore. They redid the cruise docks and built a new container term. across the channel. If you haven't been there in a while its all new with shops and bars right at the pier. I like it there.

Hey cruisers. My mom and I are going on a fun Sky trip at the end of January. I can’t seem to find anything under port of call or under roll call.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions of what to do when we stop at Grand Bahamas Island? On the NCL website, it’s not showing any excursions at all to plan for this Island. I’d like to get off ship to explore because we’ve never been before. Do you guys do excursions with the ship or different party excursion providers?

Thank you and we hope to get responses!

Happy (almost) New Year! 3b1b5c741a6f47f635a45bdd531fe128.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry for going on a rant about how much I like Freeport/Grand Bahama. I looked on NCL's website and found no excursions for Freeport. You can search for Freeport Grand Bahama Island. Funny thing The Carnival CL website has all their excursions for the island. Maybe NCL is just starting to sail there. They do have tours and excursions at the curb. dockside. well organized up&up biz. type people

We were there last year and did a great Segway/Beach tour thru an outside vendor. It was really nice, especially for tow seniors who never been on a Segway before. They took us to some beach area where half the group did a 90 minute Segway while the others had beach time and then visa versa. Had a grand time.

If you want to go to a beach you need a taxi, bus or tour. As has been said, the only thing around the pier are some shops and Senior Frogs et al.

Cheers

Len

We used to think stopping at Freeport/Grand Bahama was a waste of time but our opinions have changed greatly in the past few years. We learned that we can take a cab to the Lucaya Marketplace to browse the many shops (which meets one family member's interests) or even grab a bite to eat, then go across the street to the Grand Lucayan Resort where we paid a small fee to use the resort's beach area for the day (meeting other family members' needs). The beach is pretty nice but if that isn't your preference,there are pools with a swim up bar, a DJ usually is playing music, and you can lay in a beach chair where no one is bugging you to buy anything as you might experience at other beaches. Then it's back to the pier where there is a straw market, some bars, and several small stores to check out. For us, stopping in Freeport has become a combination beach and casual souvenir shopping day that is pretty relaxing...a nice break from other ports where we do more active and scheduled excursions. Of course, we haven't been there for about a year so I am not sure if the hurricanes from this fall did any damage to the Lucaya Marketplace or the establishments by the pier.

Same boat as you, no pun intended. Sailing out on the Sky 1/8/18. I believe they aren't listing any excursions for Grand Bahama Island, due to the Sky not going there for 2017. The Sky did stop there before, but on the 4 day cruise starting in 2017 went to Cuba instead. Hopefully they will have a list on board. You can check out Bahama Adventures. They have a private beach club. Went there in 2014. Would go again.