Explorer with children Capetown 2018 december

Michaela Wild

Difficult question to answer. Normally there are either no or few children on Regent since there is little for children to do. The exception to this is during school holidays. However, it is my understanding that there is no children's club during Christmas since families tend to want to stay together. There is a Mariner's Club (children's club) during the summer.

There are two things that concern me about a cruise that includes Cape Town. First is the distance from the U.S. Many adults won't fly to Cape Town due to the long fights that are difficult at best.

Secondly, while Cape Town itself is wonderful and people of all ages enjoy it, some of the port stops may not be for everyone. We have done the identical itinerary that you are looking at and loved it. Only you would know if your child would be up to this grueling itinerary (a lot of port days). Some ports will/may have primitive bathroom facilities and food that children are not used to.

On the positive side, the pre/post cruise safari's are wonderful (but also grueling - you get very little sleep during this time as you have super early "drives" and an afternoon drive. If one needs a restroom, they need to find a bush.

A highlight for us was a Regent Choice excursion (pricey) in Port Elizabeth where we were able to ride African elephants (huge animals - not at all similar to what they have in Asia). While it is one of the highlights of my life, I must admit that holding on to the belt of the trainer was difficult and there were times I wasn't sure that I could even stay on the elephant a as you are riding bareback and the side to side movement of the elephant kept us off balance.

So, yes - you could do it but I would do some research first.

We would like to go with our daughter on this cruise, she is going to be seven in december 2018.

Is another passenger travelling with children? Is there any Children s Club on the Seven Seas Explorer at Christmas time for children ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked on this cruise. Several members of our family are also booked who have children ranging from 1 to 13. On the 2017 Explorer Panama Canal New Year’s cruise, there were about 20 or more children(including crew children-John Barron’s boys included). Although we weren’t traveling with children, we noticed they were posting activities in one of the function rooms. Regent does a great job over the Christmas holiday with gathering the children around the tree with “Santa” distributing gifts and singing Christmas carols. Since the 2018 Capetown Cruise includes both Christmas and New Years, I would imagine there are going to be lots of families with children and organized activities.

You posted the following in October on a Seabourn Message Board:

"We all of us know, as parents, that children are children, they are as they are and should be like this, they should play, jump, run... otherwise they are not healthy."

In our experience, a child/children playing, jumping and running doesn't really fit the onboard lifestyle of Regent, and what they might offer may not be as energetic as what she wants. Crystal, on the other hand, does have a children's program. You would have your luxury cruise and a dedicated program for your daughter. You might have a look at them.

Regent is not a child focused cruise line. However, if your child is used to being around adults and being in an adult focused situation, she will be fine. My boys were used to eating in nice restaurants and having good manners when they were very young. They enjoyed cruising from a young age. But they are not easy to please. Only you know your child. If she has a good attention span, and is not high maintenance, she will probably be fine. But if she expects everything all about her, no!

We are booked on this cruise. Several members of our family are also booked who have children ranging from 1 to 13. On the 2017 Explorer Panama Canal New Year’s cruise, there were about 20 or more children(including crew children-John Barron’s boys included). Although we weren’t traveling with children, we noticed they were posting activities in one of the function rooms. Regent does a great job over the Christmas holiday with gathering the children around the tree with “Santa” distributing gifts and singing Christmas carols. Since the 2018 Capetown Cruise includes both Christmas and New Years, I would imagine there are going to be lots of families with children and organized activities.

Cannot imagine putting young children through the flights to and from Cape Town.

As an aside, while many Christmas sailings do have a lot of families, this is not necessarily true of cruises that require long flights. Our Christmas/New Years cruise from Bali to Sydney had around 20 children - all above the age of 10 (likely because of the long flights).

Not trying to be a wet blanket ........ just suggesting that th e TS think it through.

Cannot imagine putting young children through the flights to and from Cape Town.

As an aside, while many Christmas sailings do have a lot of families, this is not necessarily true of cruises that require long flights. Our Christmas/New Years cruise from Bali to Sydney had around 20 children - all above the age of 10 (likely because of the long flights).

Not trying to be a wet blanket ........ just suggesting that th e TS think it through.

I just got off the Voyager Hong Kong to Beijing cruise over Christmas, there were 29 kids onboard; some of those staff member kids. All pretty well behaved except the 10-12 year old girl that kept re-ordering and cancelling songs on the jukebox in Voyager Lounge. :evilsmile:

Regent apparently brought one or two staff onboard (one other staff member mentioned she saw them in training) and they asked production cast to host activities; apparently those were not well attended if at all (I was only in same room at same time for one), I guess they spent most time with family units. One kid in P7 embarkation day and two in Chartreuse same day.

I would not be surprised to see a large number of South African, other African, and European kids on a Cape Town round trip itinerary.

I haven't done a cruise in South Africa, but I was there last year for two weeks and would love to go back. I would also love to take the grandkids (10 and 5), but I would like to see them older for many reasons. The main one being, that most of the safari outfitters, will keep adults with out kids away from folks that have kids. Some kids wont sit still and don't have the patience for a three hour ride that could be hot, cold, dusty, buggy etc.

As for the plane ride being too long, I know in my family taking the kids on a 11 hour flight in coach has never been an issue, taking my mom was much more difficult! Depending on where you in in the US, the 16 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg wasn't that awful in the economy plus section

and than a local flight (a couple of hours) to CapeTown.

I think your daughter has a great mom to take her on this trip!

I haven't done a cruise in South Africa, but I was there last year for two weeks and would love to go back. I would also love to take the grandkids (10 and 5), but I would like to see them older for many reasons. The main one being, that most of the safari outfitters, will keep adults with out kids away from folks that have kids. Some kids wont sit still and don't have the patience for a three hour ride that could be hot, cold, dusty, buggy etc.

As for the plane ride being too long, I know in my family taking the kids on a 11 hour flight in coach has never been an issue, taking my mom was much more difficult! Depending on where you in in the US, the 16 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg wasn't that awful in the economy plus section

and than a local flight (a couple of hours) to CapeTown.

I think your daughter has a great mom to take her on this trip!

Great response re children on long flights. I have much more difficulty on long flights than any child could have. We are all world travelers(living and working all over the world) so we don’t blink an eye in determining the geographic location of a trip because of accompanying children. Well traveled children happen to result in open-minded and well-rounded individuals.

Regent is not a child focused cruise line. However, if your child is used to being around adults and being in an adult focused situation, she will be fine. My boys were used to eating in nice restaurants and having good manners when they were very young. They enjoyed cruising from a young age. But they are not easy to please. Only you know your child. If she has a good attention span, and is not high maintenance, she will probably be fine. But if she expects everything all about her, no!

Seabourn and Regent are very similar...they are geared to the adult traveler. As members of both boards have said, you will have to entertain your child most of the time as there are no dedicated areas set up for young children to run and play. The other passengers will not be too happy if your child is allowed to be loud or run all over the public areas.

However, if you child can entertain herself with out bothering others and you are willing to supervise her when out in the public areas, all will be fine. If not, you really need to look at the cruise lines that have dedicated children's area and activities.

We cruised with our children years ago, but they were teenagers. We now cruise with our grand children as young as 6, but on HAL, Princess, Carnival, RCL and the like, where there are dedicated children's areas and programs. We save Seabourn and Regent for our adult cruise time. Everyone is happier that way and the younger children have a wonderful time also.

TC, this family is from Austria so the flight to Cape Town is not nearly as bad as flying from the US. They were looking at a Seabourn Australian Holiday cruise earlier.

TC, this family is from Austria so the flight to Cape Town is not nearly as bad as flying from the US. They were looking at a Seabourn Australian Holiday cruise earlier.

Thanks for that information. It really is helpful when we know the location (how did you figure that our?). Flights are also not bad from the U.K. which has been a plane change spot for us on two of our South Africa trips. We have to fly 9+ hours to Heathrow - then have a layover that is usually too long and then the 11 hour fight to Cape Town. This makes a huge difference.

In terms of children - hearing that other non-Caribbean Christmas sailings have around 20 children makes sense. What I was saying that there would like be a few children, I was comparing it to Alaska where 50-100 children is not unusual.

Focused1 - "we" are world travelers but that does not necessarily mean that our children are. As long as they are used to flying several hours, it is likely doable. Hopefully they would not have to fly coach from Australia.

It is good to hear that many of you have had good experiences sailing at Christmas. Our one Christmas cruise was the worst cruise that we have taken on Regent (not because of the kids- even though they bothered a heck of a lot of passengers). As many know, flying during this time of the year exposes you to a variety of illnesses that spread easily on an airplane. When we boarded in Bali, passengers continuing on were already sick - the Captain was sick as were other officers and crew. My DH spent Christmas Eve in bed (I sat in the suite with him -- not wanting to dine alone on Christmas).

The reason for this story is so that people will take extra precautions when flying during the winter. Have disinfectant wipes to wipe down the tray on the plane (they are rarely cleaned), the armrests and any other area that you or your children will be touching (like the control to the movies/games). And, if someone is behind you or near you coughing, you may want to put on a mask (even though it might look silly - it could keep you healthy).

Thanks for that information. It really is helpful when we know the location (how did you figure that our?). Flights are also not bad from the U.K. which has been a plane change spot for us on two of our South Africa trips. We have to fly 9+ hours to Heathrow - then have a layover that is usually too long and then the 11 hour fight to Cape Town. This makes a huge difference.

In terms of children - hearing that other non-Caribbean Christmas sailings have around 20 children makes sense. What I was saying that there would like be a few children, I was comparing it to Alaska where 50-100 children is not unusual.

Focused1 - "we" are world travelers but that does not necessarily mean that our children are. As long as they are used to flying several hours, it is likely doable. Hopefully they would not have to fly coach from Australia.

It is good to hear that many of you have had good experiences sailing at Christmas. Our one Christmas cruise was the worst cruise that we have taken on Regent (not because of the kids- even though they bothered a heck of a lot of passengers). As many know, flying during this time of the year exposes you to a variety of illnesses that spread easily on an airplane. When we boarded in Bali, passengers continuing on were already sick - the Captain was sick as were other officers and crew. My DH spent Christmas Eve in bed (I sat in the suite with him -- not wanting to dine alone on Christmas).

The reason for this story is so that people will take extra precautions when flying during the winter. Have disinfectant wipes to wipe down the tray on the plane (they are rarely cleaned), the armrests and any other area that you or your children will be touching (like the control to the movies/games). And, if someone is behind you or near you coughing, you may want to put on a mask (even though it might look silly - it could keep you healthy).

I hear you,TC, on the precautions which is always a problem when traveling and much more so during the holiday. We always travel with the industrial grade wipes and even personal air purifiers. We have family coming onto this cruise from Spain, Thailand, Austria, Washington State and NC. So there will be a variety of travel adventures getting to Capetown. We live in NC but all of our children and grandchildren are so far away and, as I said, are well-traveled.

We are all world travelers(living and working all over the world) so we don’t blink an eye in determining the geographic location of a trip because of accompanying children.

With all due respect, your children were raised with travel being a part of life (as was our daughter). There are those, however, whose children have yet to become accustomed to travel as such, and who might not be the most pleasant company on long flights and layovers. What is normal for you may not be normal or tolerable for others.

Great response re children on long flights. I have much more difficulty on long flights than any child could have. We are all world travelers(living and working all over the world) so we don’t blink an eye in determining the geographic location of a trip because of accompanying children. Well traveled children happen to result in open-minded and well-rounded individuals.

I happen to agree with you. I know that when my sister and I were growing up, my parents were the ones calling the shots about where we were going and how we were to behave. I guarantee that had we been consulted as to whether we would prefer to see our country in depth or hang out at our beach.....the beach would have won in a heartbeat. So off we went every summer for x number of weeks because life is not an amusement park and they were the duo in charge. Of course we learned a whole lot of stuff whether we wanted to or not but they were family learning trips where the adults were actually in charge and we comported ourselves as such. P.S. As soon as I turned 18 I announced that I wasn't going anymore. I often wonder if that's the secret reason I don't like included excursions.

She is still looking at Regent but for Tahiti. I recommended the Paul Gauguin as I feel that is the best ship to sail French Polynesia.

- And during the holiday season (as well as summer), the PG offers its Stewards of Nature program for children 7-17 (as well as family members if desired). It is a rather unique, hands-on, interactive way for junior guests to discover and value nature. A great vacation teamed with some painless and fun education.

Agree!

You posted the following in October on a Seabourn Message Board:

"We all of us know, as parents, that children are children, they are as they are and should be like this, they should play, jump, run... otherwise they are not healthy."

In our experience, a child/children playing, jumping and running doesn't really fit the onboard lifestyle of Regent, and what they might offer may not be as energetic as what she wants. Crystal, on the other hand, does have a children's program. You would have your luxury cruise and a dedicated program for your daughter. You might have a look at them.

This is definitely a red flag. Children that jump around or run would not work well on Regent. Aside from the onboard experience, children really need to be well behaved on excursions - lest they hurt themselves or others - especially in parts of the world that are less developed. There also needs to be respect for others.

IMO, a Tahiti trip would be far better for a 7 year old than Cape Town. I understand that a great mom would want their daughter too have the best experiences possible. While I have no doubt that the mother would have a great time, since it is your daughter's 7th birthday, shouldn't the focus be on what will make her happy? There are many places/cruise lines where children are more welcome, where they are ton of things to do and where they will be other children in the same age range. If, as predicted, there are only 20 children on the ship, how many will actually be within the age range?

Well, we are booked with our 12 year old son. Flight is long but no longer than our Christmas trip to Singapore in 2016.

You are fortunate that Cape Town isn't 20+ hours from where you live! If we lived closer to Cape Town, we'd give up cruising and go there every year.

IMO, there is a huge difference between a 12 year old and a barely 7 year old. It is unlikely that your son has the need to run around or be disruptive. Again, it depends upon the prior experience of the child(ren). If they are used to entertaining themselves, are able to sit quietly in a fancy restaurant (where dinner can take 2 hours), there is no problem whatsoever.

Most children need to learn how to handle more local cruises (like Alaska for those of us in the U.S.) If that works, perhaps Europe would be another step - then Asia, etc. It is more or less how children learn how to dine in restaurants. They start out with fast food or coffee shops in terms of learning how to behave around others. Eventually they are fine in fine dining establishments. Most parents would not take a baby or toddler to a fine dining restaurant as their first experience as it would be less than comfortable for both the child and the parents.

Most luxury cruisers are fine with well behaved children (although some luxury cruisers do not want to see a child on a cruise when it isn't during the summer or a school break). Just keep the happiness of your children in mind. I would not take my daughter on a luxury cruise when she was younger (and still likely wouldn't - even though she is an adult because it simply isn't her thing). When we travel with our children, we put our desires on the back burner and insure that we are doing something that is fun, interesting, a learning experience and memorable.