1st River Cruise - Viking - Dining at Table for 2 ?

GreenValleyDogWalker

We have just booked our very first River Cruise (after 40 or so "ocean" cruises) - We finally decided on Viking -

We prefer to dine at a table for 2 (not snobs - just don't enjoy dining with people we don't know of have just met)

Anyway - can someone advise how you are seated for dinner on a Viking Riverboat ? - Do you just tell them you prefer a table for 2 ? - Or is that not possible ?

Thanks

We have been on 4 Viking river cruises. The only time we had tables for two was on the Portugal cruise, and the tables were so close together that it was like a table for four. On the other cruises (Seine, Rhine, Rhone), there were no tables for two at all. I guess if you are "antisocial" you could eat all your meals in the Aquavit Terrace, otherwise you are out of luck.

We have just booked our very first River Cruise (after 40 or so "ocean" cruises) - We finally decided on Viking -

We prefer to dine at a table for 2 (not snobs - just don't enjoy dining with people we don't know of have just met)

Anyway - can someone advise how you are seated for dinner on a Viking Riverboat ? - Do you just tell them you prefer a table for 2 ? - Or is that not possible ?

Thanks

There are no reserved tables, it is “festival” seating in the Dinning room. There are a few two only tables but most are for 4’s. 6’s etc.

the passengers on river boats are normally experienced ocean cruisers who have decided to experience something a little more advanced and are normally very interesting so I would not fret too much on sharing a table, also you don’t keep the same table, you just take whatever is available.

Our first river cruise was on Viking and we enjoyed it immensely as I am sure you will also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If table for 2 is a big issue, Viking is not a good choice. As stated previously, you can try to grab a table for 2 out on the Aquavit Terrace for dining, but there are none such in the restaurant. Nobody seats you. You seat yourselves.

We enjoyed a dinner out on the Aquavit but ironically ended up chatting and interacting having a great time with our neighbors.

Table for two was not possible in the dining room on our June Viking Rhine cruise. The smallest tables were for 6. And the Aquavit Terrace was not open every night.

I would have preferred a table for two every night, but we did enjoy all of our group meals.

You probably need to give some thought to your personal scale of 'don't enjoy' if you are going on a river cruise.

If being unable to dine alone is going to just be a minor irritation then you'll forget it within a day or two as those around you will no longer be in the 'don't know' or 'only just met' category as people tend to form little groups quite rapidly on these cruises as long as you actually talk to them.

If you prefer to go through an entire ocean cruise dining on your own and not really talking to the other people around you then I suspect a river cruise is going to be a difficult and disappointing experience for you.

Only you know which of these is the most likely outcome, but as others have said, a true table for 2 is not going to happen on Viking (or most other lines), but as long as you actually interact with the other guests on board I doubt you'll feel that these are people you don't know for very long...

Most recent cruise was from Paris to Normandy on the Rolf back in October. As has been stated, there are no tables for two in the dining room. If you want total privacy the Aquavit is an option but also as stated, not always available.

I wouldn't go so far as to tell you not to go. We have done a lot of cruising and have eaten at tables for two on ocean cruises several times. To be honest with you, I couldn't tell you the names of anyone we sat with on our most recent river cruise. The conversation at the table mostly centered on the tours for that day or the upcoming tours. If it's a privacy issue just don't share. Expect to be asked, "Where are you from" but beyond that I don't remember any personal questions. By the second or third night the cliques are formed and I guess you will see where you want to be from there.

I would suggest you go and enjoy a totally different experience than an ocean cruise can offer. You may find you can't wait to take another one. That is what DW and I have done.

The social aspect of dining with a bunch of "strangers" might be a uncomfortable at first, but eventually you should find it quite enjoyable meeting new people. Also, if you do decide to dine on the Aquavit terrace, when we cruised, the available menu was very limited and not nearly as interesting as what was served in the main dining room.

I'm not a real extrovert, but have found the best part of river cruising is the new friends that I meet during the cruise. We've not necessarily maintained a long-term friendship, but really enjoy the people that we've met on five river cruises. We sometimes sit at a table for two on ocean cruises, but would not think of doing so on a river cruise. With only 120-180 people on a river cruise you will get to know several people fairly well.

I cruised where we sat at our own table with friends. Other times, we shared a table the first night and then we all planned to dine together nightly. If so lucky, your first evening may the only one dining with people you don't know