(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

I just booked a little 3 nighter on Indy out of the UK.

Me: Guess I'll pop over to the RCI forum, see if I can do a little research

3 days and 71 pages later...

Thank you for all the beautiful ship pics and food p0rn which is what I came for (even though I understand the menus are changing and we are sailing post-refit). It's also been interesting to see little things of how RCI works- like the muster station on the back of the cabin door! That's a new one on this NCL cruiser.

Although our Indy cruise is to Paris and Bruges it turns out your port info was useful for our December cruise on Princess so I owe you double thanks really! Scenic tours Antigua was one I was considering due to their reasonable pricing.

Lots of things I've read and wanted to comment on but as the pages go on I'm sure I've forgotten half of it! One thing I found interesting is the British influence on Indy. They make a big deal of Indy being the biggest and best UK homeported ship in the summer so I'm wondering if this just carries over a little. The comment from another poster on the shops selling things with the Queen on and tins of shortbread made me laugh- that's the type of thing they think they can flog to US tourists traveling to the UK. Personally I'm always just after a ship magnet.

I'm from a place in the UK called Yorkshire where we have a reputation for being cheap (or 'tight as a ducks a$$' as we say here). I'll never be the type to spend $50 on lunch in the port when I can walk back to the ship and eat for free, and I guess that does make me cheap. I think I just like getting good value. I'll spend that $50 on something that gives me real value rather than food I could get for free. I think you are 'Value Dad' rather than Cheapo Dad!

Your story of the person trying to save seats at the ice show reminded me of something similar I saw on NCL. A very large Russian lady was trying (so far successfully) to block off almost a whole row of prime front and center seating in the theatre. The fact she was quite scary looking was working in her favour. Until a pair of Scottish ladies took her on, pushing down her arm blocking the row and telling her to go complain to the staff if she didn't like it. Don't mess with a Glaswegian.

2 minutes before the show, one person only showed up to sit with Russian lady (who we assume was her equally big and scary looking husband). They ended up moving back one row to sit next to us as she had lost all the seats she was trying to save. Mr Russia got up and left 10 minutes into the show. I guess Priscilla Queen of the Desert wasn't to his liking.

Now I'll leave you alone to finish your review- on the home stretch now!

I think many accountants like the fact that a fully depreciated asset on the balance sheet is still providing value instead of having to use the resources to acquire a new one and take a hit on the P&L.

Absolutely! For example, I am still using your asset of a trip review as a warm up to my similar 8 night Freedom cruise in April, all these weeks later.

I am not an accountant, although I did spend a year in college to be one, I just could not get through the Econ class, so I gave up and became a travel agent-best choice ever.

I do my own taxes though and happily depreciate a long ago paid for 2004 Chevy truck and a bought with cash 2013 Ford Transit Connect van. When the tax man asks "do you have a car for personal use", I can say "why yes I do and it is a 2008 Ford Focus that I purchased new for my daughter". I also have thrifty parents who were born a bit after the depression.

Thanks so much for your reviews, I have been reading you for years!

So I see Indy is still doing that tired "Strings" themed ice show. They REALLY need to revamp/retheme their entertainment!

Harry, great report- looking forward to seeing your Miami tour. Thanks again for doing it!

Funny enough I have been on 3 freedom class cruises and never have wound up seeing strings... I always see the one through the decades (can't remember now). That being said I always enjoy them. Also seems like they are trying to change up the entertainment with the Broadway style shows. I didn't get to see grease this time so I can't really comment other than I think the shows might start to get to long.... love Broadway, seen many musicals, but on a ship I want to be entertained for a slightly shorter time than a Broadway show.

I haven't been on the bigger ships which I hear has great shows but my best was on celebrity Reflection with acrobatics.....it was wonderful. Have not experienced that since, even on celebrity.

Wow, a lot of posts today. I will respond as needed below.

Originally I had targeted to finish this by today but with real life commitments, I won't be able to finish today. So I will push it off until Monday to wrap things up. I don't think it will impact anyone as we are on "island time" anyway.

I was at In N Out Burger today. For those that plan to come to the west coast (well, they are in CA/OR/AZ/UT/NV/TX), be sure to try out this iconic chain burger place when you are in the area. For my money, it's miles ahead of Johnny Rockets.

The typical long line

enhance

Freshly peeled potatoes/fries. Non frozen. See the cart in the kitchen in the back where they soak the potatoes in water

enhance

Be sure to check online for the "secret menu" of In N Out as you can order stuff not on the menu. This is grilled/cooked onion on top of the burger - it's called "animal style" when you order it.

enhance

Thanks for the additional rock tour, here at the beach when the temps are in the 90/100 range you can always jump in the ocean to cool off.

Yeah, the hardest part of the hike is there's no place to sit to rest half way. Only shady area is when you are 90% of the way to the end. You have a long climb up hill and no rest stop to get second wind. That canopy/chair area from RCI/Celebrity at the pier would be a great place.

Somebody can make a killing selling selling ice cold refreshment at the top of that hill

enhance

So I see Indy is still doing that tired "Strings" themed ice show. They REALLY need to revamp/retheme their entertainment!

Harry, great report- looking forward to seeing your Miami tour. Thanks again for doing it!

What is the average longevity of shows on cruise ships? 5 years?

That is one of the reasons I avoid going on the same ship as to see new entertainment venue on different ships. Does the Allure still has the same ice and water show? I know they swapped out Chicago awhile back.

Harryfat,

You write, bar none, the absolute BEST trip reports on Cruise Critic. I have read all of your reports, and now I have none left to read. Bwaaaaa 😭.

Looking forward to your posts for the remaining part of your trip.

Thank you, and your family, for taking us on this fabulous journey.

Pat

Hi, Pat,

Thanks for the compliment.

I think I am an "acquired taste" in terms of what people view my writing style. I'm like the escargot of trip writers. Some people will say "Ewww, Hell no" or they find it interesting. Not too many middle grounds.

Thanks for reading all my trip reports. I think you need to go on a cruise soon if you read all of them as you evidently have time to kill, my friend.

As RCI rewards their followers with point system for coming back, maybe you can earn Cheapo points (or peasant points) for reading every one of the reports such that if I ever get to 10 trip reports, you will earn a certificate for a buffet at WJ...

I just booked a little 3 nighter on Indy out of the UK.

Me: Guess I'll pop over to the RCI forum, see if I can do a little research

3 days and 71 pages later...

Thank you for all the beautiful ship pics and food p0rn which is what I came for (even though I understand the menus are changing and we are sailing post-refit). It's also been interesting to see little things of how RCI works- like the muster station on the back of the cabin door! That's a new one on this NCL cruiser.

Although our Indy cruise is to Paris and Bruges it turns out your port info was useful for our December cruise on Princess so I owe you double thanks really! Scenic tours Antigua was one I was considering due to their reasonable pricing.

Lots of things I've read and wanted to comment on but as the pages go on I'm sure I've forgotten half of it! One thing I found interesting is the British influence on Indy. They make a big deal of Indy being the biggest and best UK homeported ship in the summer so I'm wondering if this just carries over a little. The comment from another poster on the shops selling things with the Queen on and tins of shortbread made me laugh- that's the type of thing they think they can flog to US tourists traveling to the UK. Personally I'm always just after a ship magnet.

I'm from a place in the UK called Yorkshire where we have a reputation for being cheap (or 'tight as a ducks a$$' as we say here). I'll never be the type to spend $50 on lunch in the port when I can walk back to the ship and eat for free, and I guess that does make me cheap. I think I just like getting good value. I'll spend that $50 on something that gives me real value rather than food I could get for free. I think you are 'Value Dad' rather than Cheapo Dad!

Your story of the person trying to save seats at the ice show reminded me of something similar I saw on NCL. A very large Russian lady was trying (so far successfully) to block off almost a whole row of prime front and center seating in the theatre. The fact she was quite scary looking was working in her favour. Until a pair of Scottish ladies took her on, pushing down her arm blocking the row and telling her to go complain to the staff if she didn't like it. Don't mess with a Glaswegian.

2 minutes before the show, one person only showed up to sit with Russian lady (who we assume was her equally big and scary looking husband). They ended up moving back one row to sit next to us as she had lost all the seats she was trying to save. Mr Russia got up and left 10 minutes into the show. I guess Priscilla Queen of the Desert wasn't to his liking.

Now I'll leave you alone to finish your review- on the home stretch now!

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words.

First of all, I like your screen name but what does it really mean? Is is a UK slang?

So my report sucked you in like a worm hole in space? I'm like popcorn/potato chips, that if you like it, it's hard to just have one. You will want a second & third. But like all the food mentioned above, I am bad for you and have no redeeming nutritional value...;p

Antigua is pretty. Their beach is top notch.

Thanks for all the info on the Indy/UK. I now learned a new term on the Duck's A$$...Guess you are not going to spend the $79 or whatever on the "Special Holiday Dinner" that RCI wants to charge.

I have pointed out seat saver bad behavior on my trip reports. One of my top pet peeves. Especially since we travel during the holidays where it's common to have families of 6 or 8 or 10 sailing together and it's rude to save that many seats as to block off an entire family from sitting together.

Have a great 3 night cruise. You of course realized you have sent more time reading/researching for your 3 day cruise than the actual time you will be on the cruise...

The saddest picture of the trip. It's so depressing the crying smilies won't even load. Quick! Somebody lock the stage door so the fat lady can't get in!

+1

Bill

Thanks guys.

Yeah, it's sad to go home on all vacations. But as I was out of clean underwear/need to go home to earn money for next vacation, it's time to go.

For us planners, researching for the next vacation is almost as good as being on the vacation (easier on the butt as there are no long flights on airplanes while planning).

Absolutely! For example, I am still using your asset of a trip review as a warm up to my similar 8 night Freedom cruise in April, all these weeks later.

I am not an accountant, although I did spend a year in college to be one, I just could not get through the Econ class, so I gave up and became a travel agent-best choice ever.

I do my own taxes though and happily depreciate a long ago paid for 2004 Chevy truck and a bought with cash 2013 Ford Transit Connect van. When the tax man asks "do you have a car for personal use", I can say "why yes I do and it is a 2008 Ford Focus that I purchased new for my daughter". I also have thrifty parents who were born a bit after the depression.

Thanks so much for your reviews, I have been reading you for years!

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words.

Interesting people that have been reading my trip report for years. Hopefully my info is entertaining/helpful in one way or another.

Good to meet others who are careful with their usage of money.

Have a great cruise in April on the Freedom. Just keep say "No thank you" when they try to hard sell you every step of the way...

Thanks, Harry, for sneaking in some more rock pictures before the fat lady sings. :) It's sad that we're almost to that point in this very enjoyable review.

Heather

Hi, Heather,

I figure you are among the few that would enjoy all the rock pictures.

Yeah, almost done with this marathon trip report. Need to start planning for the summer trip where we are going back to Utah to see Bryce/Zion/Grand Canyon. I need to "stock up" on more rock pictures for my next cruise report.

That hike to the arch in utah looks exhausting and hot (hope you guys wore lots of sunscreen) but also amazing!

Yes, we all got red/tan after the summer road trip. It was a tough hike but also most memorable. It's under the "no pain, no gain" concept. We will forever remember that hike. The Arch picture is my Avatar picture here at CC...

More than that on the older ships. I'm still seeing the same production shows on Adventure that I saw 10 years ago.

Wow. That's too bad as if RCI wants repeat passengers, they need to revamp the entertainment as to keep things fresh for the people coming back. Guess that's why on many nights the theaters are not full as people have already seen the old performances before.

I love In n Out but there isn’t one within 150 miles of me. Carl’s Jr. does a rip off of the animal style double double that passes in an emergency.

Oh, I didn't know Carl's Jr. has a rip off version. What do they call it?

On road trips, there aren't too many In N Out Burgers on the Interstate, but instead we get the typical boring big name chains so it's good to know of a copy cat version out there.

Wow. That's too bad as if RCI wants repeat passengers, they need to revamp the entertainment as to keep things fresh for the people coming back. Guess that's why on many nights the theaters are not full as people have already seen the old performances before.

My impression is that repeat passengers are not high on Royal's priority list.

My impression is that repeat passengers are not high on Royal's priority list.

That's too bad as I know they all want to chase the "untapped market of people that has never cruise before" to bring in more and more newbie cruisers, the cruise line should at least do some lip service to revamp things like ice shows.

The skaters will do their skating to whatever the prop/theme music, so it shouldn't be a major work to change the theme of the show and change the costumes and props and it will feel different. The skating routines can be 90% similar to the previous show and people will view it as a new show as I doubt anyone will remember the exact skating sequence on the previous show having the same double axle jump to be the same as this show.