(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

Since it’s just the two of us, I’m not familiar with connecting cabins on Anthem/Quantum. But we did see a junior suite that held four people (mom, dad and two big teenage sons). The interesting thing was in addition to the regular bathroom, there was also a powder room (toilet and sink) in the cabin. If you look at the deck plans, look at the *232 and *632 cabins. There’s also a regular balcony cabin in that corner, as well as an interior cabin. They all have separate doors, but are set in a little hallway.

We obviously like that class, since we’ve just booked our third cruise on that class. It’s very different from other Royal ships, but I understand it’s very similar to the newer Celebrity ships. And we can drive to Cape Liberty!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Appreciate the info. I will look up those 2 sets of cabins when I get going on the cruise planning later in the year. With the cruise line's fee charge to change reservations on cruises nowadays, I am not willing to book things so early anymore.

(Final push to get through as many of the Miami pictures as possible tonight...)

Old school version of selfie in seeing one's reflection on the store window

enhance

Building all wrapped up in remodeling

enhance

enhance

The tour guide is a car enthusiast and he likes to point out all the expensive cars

enhance

enhance

OK, so we made it back to the starting point. The bus would continue on as they changed the route to the downtown route. In theory if we wanted to, we could just sat there and be on it to see another part of Miami. However we wanted to get off as 1) we needed to go to the bathroom as we haven’t gone since we got off the ship before 8 AM 2) we were freezing from the wind and wanted to walk around to thaw out.

Speaking of bathroom, the line to go to the restroom at the mall was super long. I have never seen such a long line to use a mall’s bathroom before.

Anyway, here are pictures of the Bayside Market Place

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

So after using the bathroom, my wife wanted to go back and do another route but the rest of us were against it. The wind and cold just made it an unpleasant experience as I think many people from the cruise exited the same time we did. So we decided to just walk around the area and visit the uncle in prison instead.

enhance

enhance

After walking around a bit, we decided to grab some lunch around 12:30. Found the food court upstairs. The place is huge with lots of options

enhance

enhance

I really like the fact that they have on display what you will get

enhance

Of course we ordered from different places since we have different food preferences. It would be too easy to just order 4 plates from the same place. Woudln't want that, would we?

enhance

enhance

My younger one ordered a Philly Cheese but I forgot to take a picture of it. Only pic I had was them cooking it

enhance

enhance

I got this

enhance

enhance

So the sun finally came out by time lunch was over but it was too late for us as we had less than 2 hours left before we had to go and catch the shuttle.

The area is very pretty

enhance

People waiting to ride the speed boats

enhance

enhance

You can see the cruise ships in the background

enhance

enhance

So we walked back down to the ground level (food court was on second level) and they had a band playing there with various audience members dancing to the beat. As we had time to kill and I wasn't feeling very energetic, my younger son and I sat and listened to the band while my wife and my older one walked around and visit the uncle in prison.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Enjoyed your photos of the food court because it reminded of the time DW and I returned from a B-2-B cruise and after I receiving my order I walked away without paying, and DW was yelling, Jim Jim, you forgot to pay the lady.

Appreciate the info. I will look up those 2 sets of cabins when I get going on the cruise planning later in the year. With the cruise line's fee charge to change reservations on cruises nowadays, I am not willing to book things so early anymore.

Hopefully not too many will roll their eyes when I say this.... Call up royal directly and ask them just tell them you are planning. I have done it before and they are helpful that way.

Interesting to note that that I received quite a few email requests over the weekend in the cheapo dad email address as I think the post from the other day triggered some people's interest.

It seems that many people are interested in the travel agent info. I just replied to all of the requests so check your email/spam box to make sure it made it to your inbox.

Thank you very much for your reply to my e-mail. I don’t know where you find the time . You must be a very busy man.

You are a terrific source of information.

Judy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

enhance

I think this is the street we were going down when I was smacked in the face with a palm tree. I guess I lifted my head too soon.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn right across the street from Bayside Marketplace precruise, but didn't venture too far into the mall. We had a little time, too, before the HOHO bus on debarkation morning (on a bus, off a bus before we even got started!). Didn't know there was a food court upstairs -- we'll save that for another time.

Just caught up! I don't know about anyone else...but I feel that you just started this report a couple of weeks ago. And I've had fun all the way with you and your family.

That fat lady may be singing, but it's such a lovely song. Loved your latest rock pix. And it's nice to get a look around a bit of Miami.

31 days until my next land and...gulp 214 to the next cruise.

Wow, a lot of posts today. I will respond as needed below.

Originally I had targeted to finish this by today but with real life commitments, I won't be able to finish today. So I will push it off until Monday to wrap things up. I don't think it will impact anyone as we are on "island time" anyway.

I was at In N Out Burger today. For those that plan to come to the west coast (well, they are in CA/OR/AZ/UT/NV/TX), be sure to try out this iconic chain burger place when you are in the area. For my money, it's miles ahead of Johnny Rockets.

The typical long line

enhance

Freshly peeled potatoes/fries. Non frozen. See the cart in the kitchen in the back where they soak the potatoes in water

enhance

Be sure to check online for the "secret menu" of In N Out as you can order stuff not on the menu. This is grilled/cooked onion on top of the burger - it's called "animal style" when you order it.

enhance

Either they all look exactly alike or this is the same one in SF that my kids took me to. I am not a fan of fast food burgers so I didn't really care one way or another. If it is not grilled by me and topped with garden fresh tomatoes, I am not interested.

Either they all look exactly alike or this is the same one in SF that my kids took me to. I am not a fan of fast food burgers so I didn't really care one way or another. If it is not grilled by me and topped with garden fresh tomatoes, I am not interested.

They do all look alIke! This could be either the one in Waco or the one in Austin that I’ve been to!

Enjoyed your photos of the food court because it reminded of the time DW and I returned from a B-2-B cruise and after I receiving my order I walked away without paying, and DW was yelling, Jim Jim, you forgot to pay the lady.

Well, at least you didn’t walk away with the food and not paid them