Qm2 late leaving

transatlantic fan

I have been watching you guys on the AIS....lookin' good!:cool:

You're at approximately 49N, 23W?

Hi, Bob. I'm curious about how you are tracking QM2 on AIS when she is out of range on all the free land-based AIS tracking sites that I am familar with (such as marinetraffic). Are you using a subscription-based service that reports AIS information from satellites? Or is there a free site I don't know about that reports AIS information when ships are out of range of land based AIS stations?

Regards, John

Hi, Bob. I'm curious about how you are tracking QM2 on AIS when she is out of range on all the free land-based AIS tracking sites that I am familar with (such as marinetraffic). Are you using a subscription-based service that reports AIS information from satellites? Or is there a free site I don't know about that reports AIS information when ships are out of range of land based AIS stations?

Regards, John

It's a "secret"...;)

I don't have the need to subscribe to the expensive paid subscription, but here's what I do....

Go to the marinetraffic site

Enter the vessel name

Click on the one you want

Then click on show future track

Then scroll along with it, until you see the blue target near the track...if you put your cursor on it, it will tell you 'passenger ship received via satellite', and if you click on it, it will prompt you to upgrade to a paid subscription for details....

however....if you just leave your cursor on it, you can see the coordinates of your cursor (and the target) in the upper right corner of your screen....that's all there is to it....:cool:

Ah, I see it now. The assumption is that the light blue ship identified as "Passenger Vessel Position received via Satellite" which is currently showing up on marinetraffic about 50 NM above the QM2 "Route Forecast" track at about 49° 33' N and 22° 34' W is QM2. Thanks for that tip.

Regards, John

Ah, I see it now. The assumption is that the light blue ship identified as "Passenger Vessel Position received via Satellite" which is currently showing up on marinetraffic about 50 NM above the QM2 "Route Forecast" track at about 49° 33' N and 22° 34' W is QM2. Thanks for that tip.

Regards, John

You're very welcome....it's great to share tips to further knowledge here on Cruise Critic's....I've learned plenty here myself through the years....:)

I'm not sure what to make of this, but the Southampton VTS web site is now showing QM2 arriving 10-Jan-2018 at 07:45 (which is in line with what transatlantic fan has reported). However, that site is also showing QM2 as not scheduled to depart until 11-Jan-2018 at 08:00. Hopefully that's just a mistake, or has her departure been rescheduled for Thursday morning and I've just missed that until now?

Seeing the same thing and she's doing 25.5 knots at the moment! But there are probaly speed restrictions in the Channel due to traffic.

there are no speed restrictions in the Channel other that what density of traffic and safe navigation requires, currently about 40 miles south of Plymouth at 26.5 knots

AIS gives eta as 0845 but is that the pilot station or Southampton? Usually eta is for pilot station, Southampton VTS still has eta as 0745

Good to know as the AIS is showing her doing 26.5 knots at about 3AM UTC. If a certain naval architect is still on board (he was on the SOU-NY segment) he's really smiling right now.

I see she got up to 28 knots at one point....:cool:

You mean him?...

Yes, Stephen Payne was on board for the SOU-NYC segment. He had not been previously listed as an Insights speaker and I didn't know he was on board until it was announced in the embarkation day program. He gave three talks: Titanic, QE2, and of course QM2. He tends to usually be on EB crossings. For him it would make sense as he gets acclimated back to UK time after whatever personal or business interest had brought him to the US.

On the Dec 8-15th EB where there was also a late departure (after 1AM) from New York due to the movie premiere on board. These two recent late EB departures are the closest we will get to the old six day crossings. When I had lamented eight day crossings a member responded with the retort, "If you enjoy sailing on QM2 why would you want to shorten your experience?" My answer would be: Twenty six knots and felling her perform like the mustang on the ocean that she is built to be.

Edited by BlueRiband

I'm seeing another indication that QM2 might not be departing until 8:00am tomorrow (as listed on the Southampton VTS web site). I haven't seen anything official from Cunard yet, but this quote has been posted on social media sites for Queen Mary 2.

"Unfortunately, 'Queen Mary 2' will now depart Southampton at 08:00 on Thursday morning with tonight's fireworks now being cancelled."

I guess time will tell if this is accurate.

Hi - I believe it is catching up logistics and loading.

Will get an update later tonight and share

Julie

I imagine they used up "just a bit" more fuel than normal, on that higher speed dash across the pond;)

but not that much more....:confused: