Review of Anthem new year cruise

I’m currently on the Anthem. Should be sunning myself in Coco Cay just now but am currently trying to keep warm under a pile of towels in the solarium!! I’ll come to that later.

Saturday 30th December

Stayed 3 nights prior to boarding in the Lexington hotel. Booked through RCI. Also transfer from hotel to ship booked through RCI. Taxi turned up on time , 9.45am and took us on the hour journey to the port. Despite the snow journey went well and we were ready to board at exactly 11.00am. No queues thank goodness as the temperatures were sub zero! We checked all our bags in at the pier so I only had my coat and handbag to carry once on board.

Spent the first hour exploring. Had a snack in the Windjammer.

2pm was muster drill. Our station was the Schooner Bar so we just made ourselves comfortable. Drill a bit of a waste of time IMO. Place crowded and I couldn’t even see one of the monitor screens we were all told to watch! Still don’t know in an emergency where my lifeboat or life belt is!!

After drill we headed to 270 to watch the ship sail off. We ordered a drink each and were quite shocked when the check came to $25! Had another drink each then decided that as I drink mainly cocktails on board I better go and get the drink packed!!

We had decided not to go for the package prior to sailing as both in the cabin need to purchase. My husband really only drinks beer. On board however I was allowed to get the packAge myself. In hindsight should have purchased package each at lower price before cruise!

Had my time dining booked for dinner. Seated in American Icon. Table for 2 but was sooo close to tables either side they should have just called it a table for 6!! Food OK service OK......

Sunday 31 December

Bagged a comfy chair in the solarium early and grabbed a small breakfast and took it back to eat in solarium. Used solarium bistro which I much prefer to the packed windjammer.

We lounged around most of day. Tried to keep warm as it was still very cold outside. We did the trivia quiz in Schooner.

We had a snack lunch. This time we tried the cafe at 270. Again much better IMO than the windjammer.

We contemplated booking a table in 270 for the “VIP” celebrations later in the evening. Swiftly changed our mind when we realised the cost!!! Some seats/tables were $1500!! Ok they came with champagne - but I don’t even like champagne !!

Dinner was booked for 8pm again in American Icon. Much better seats tonight. WAiter actually chatted to us which made it a much more enjoyable experience all round. Filet Mignon on menu and was delicious.

Rest of evening spent hanging around promenade waiting for midnight. Very crowded and impossible to get a drink! By 12 so crowded you couldn’t move!

4572fc68422f711cfa9a3a896d42d661.jpg

Everyone was provided with a hat or tiara at dinner!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Monday 1st jan

We had the North Star booked for 10.30. I wasn’t sure if it would be operating as the seas were still pretty rough and there was a lot of movement. I phoned guest services and they said it was operating so after a quick breakfast we headed to the top of the ship. Another day of rain and horrible weather. Was a good experience but better weather would have made the views better lol!

d44ce7c9636730746ecb7065878bd696.jpg

Again we spent the rest of the day lounging then trivia in Schooner bar.

We had “the gift “ booked then headed to dinner afterwards again in American Icon.

The gift was enjoyable. Good singing.

Dinner was ok. Had same nice wAiter as evening before so that was good.

Menu a little disappointing.

Tuesday 2 jan

Booked room service for 6am as we had the 7am shuttle to Disney booked. Room service acts as a good wake up call too lol

Realised that weather was not going to be good today but had no idea how cold it was going to actually be. I only brought “ New York sub zero clothing” and what I thought would be needed for cruise - summer vacation clothes. I purchased a Hoodie in the promenade shops the night before so wore that along with a vest, tshirt and thin scarf.

Shuttle took a little over an hour to get to Disney transportation centre.

On getting out bus realised how cold AND crowded the park was going to be. Took about an hour to get the monorail into magic kingdom due to crowds!

First stop was to purchase a waterproof jacket!!

Didn’t get usual Disney magic feeling due to crowds and cold but was still an enjoyable day.

Dinner again tonight in American Icon. Service was not good. Had to wait ages to get order taken then even longer for food to arrive. Food not very hot either. We left before desert. Don’t think the waiter even noticed.

Few general observations-This is our first time on Anthem. It’s a lovely ship. Too big though for staff to recognise you or remember your bar order. Was on Vision in July and while some area of ship were “tired” compaired to this ship I feel the service was much more personal.

Cabin- we are in a balcony cabin on deck 13. Love the cabin. Well laid out, plenty of storage and due to being on a “hump”, a huge balcony. Unfortunately due to the awful weather we haven’t been able to sit on balcony at all. The cabin is very fresh looking.

Lifts - plenty of them and never long to wait.

Random question: Did you prepay gratuities?

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

Enjoying your review so far. Sorry you had such cold weather.

We had the same experience in the Anthem dining rooms. The tables for two that we were seated at were on top of the next table! It was not like this when we sailed on NCL's Breakaway a few months ago. Most of the time we were seated at a table for four and even when we were seated at a table for two, the tables were nicely spaced for the most part. It's one thing I hated about our cruise on the Anthem. We are cruising on Anthem again later in the year and I will be requesting a more private table if possible, when we check in for My Time Dining each night.

Random question: Did you prepay gratuities?

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

Yes I prepaid.

Wednesday 3rd jan

Nassau.

Ship not docking till 10.30 so had breakfast in windjammer for the first time.

We were ready to leave ship as soon as clearance was given.

I had booked a private tour through “islandz tours” a while ago. It was a two hour Rum walking tour. We had instructions to meet our guide at a pub called Smugglers. We walked off the ship and found the meeting place by 11 the tour start time with no problems.

It was fantastic to feel a bit of warmth for the first time on this vacation but unfortunately the rain was never far away.

Orchid was our guide today and there were just two others on this tour. She was an excellent guide and I would thoroughly recommend this tour. We started off tasting 5 different rums and Orchid explained about them and threw in lots of interesting facts about the history of Nassau and the Bahamas. We visited a local artist studio, Greycliffe hotel, the chocolate factory at Greycliffe and then John Watlings Distillery. We tasted many rums, rum cocktails, rum cake, rum truffles and conch fritters. Needless to say we are now both “rum converts” and went straight back to the local shops in Nassau to buy a few bottles to take home.

Very enjoyable day.

Back on board for a wee sleep before dinner in the Solarium Bistro. Really enjoyed dinner here. Service excellent - was very relaxing.

b137f0239086b6121fe01d169690c7b5.jpg

View of the ship in Nassau.

Another few random thoughts. I posted on here just before a travelled regarding problems printing out all my ship entertainment and restaurant bookings. I needed have worried! On this ship you can download the Royal IQ app on your smart phone. No need to pay for the internet package either - works without it! All my bookings were listed along with an online version daily of Cruise Compass. Very handy app!!

Since as i said in my first post , I purchased the drink package on board I have been enjoying a few Starbucks frappachinos! A guilty pleasure on mine as at home my nearest Starbucks is over 40 miles away!! Service in the La Patisserie cafe fast and efficient. Never been long queues either. Also enjoyed an odd slice of pizza at sorrentos - also very good!

Great review so far...thanks.

Question regarding the Disney excursion please...what time did the shuttle leave to head back to the ship?

We are on Anthem in a couple of weeks and although we are renting a car to WDW, just curious about the shuttle return time for reference.

Thank you.

Thursday 4th January

That brings me to today.....

Woke up today with the captain mAking an announcement directly into our cabins at 7.00am this morning. Once again the weather was having a dampener on this vacation. The waves etc were too bad for the tenders to run today so the ship couldn’t anchor at all off CocoCay.

The temp was also only about 12.c or 52f - not ideal for the beach anyway. I was very disappointed but weather can’t be helped.

We got ready anyway and headed straight for all solarium to make the most of the day. We were there for about 7.30am. Much to our further disappointment nearly every sunbed already had a towel on it! Very few people to be seen but plenty towels/books/bags on beds! We had to circle the whole solarium to get two beds together but while doing so saw signs on beds - last seen 7.15, possessions will be removed 7.45 etc etc. The sunbed police were out in force and quite rightly meant business.

I was entertained by watching the attendants stick to the half hour rule and clear beds!

We lounged all morning, red our books and snoozed in between nipping off for a snack and bringing it back to eat on the lounger.

I had thought extra entertainment might have been laid on to make up for the loss of a port day but that didn’t seem to happen.

At 12pm I went for a walk and got my nails done as a walk in. Great service, good value.

Lunch in solarium bistro.

Trivia in Schooner PM - practically standing room only due to not much else going on and cold weather. (The solarium was even quite drafty and cold). Stayed on for music trivia.

Dinner this evening was at Wonderland. Enjoyed it a lot. Great food. Excellent service. Lovely surroundings. I don’t eat any seafood and they worked round this perfectly.

Great review so far...thanks.

Question regarding the Disney excursion please...what time did the shuttle leave to head back to the ship?

We are on Anthem in a couple of weeks and although we are renting a car to WDW, just curious about the shuttle return time for reference.

Thank you.

Shuttle leaves 4pm sharp. Took about an hour and 15 mins to get back to port.

Even though the solarium is covered, is it warm enough to get into the pools with it being so cold out? Curious as we are sailing Anthem Feb and March this year and we love Anthem’s solarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone is sitting in the solarium covered in towels!! The hot tub is fine. Pool a bit cool. This is unusual weather though. The wind is very strong and no sun today as yet.