Fjords

Pinktrixie

You may or may not need them in May. It would be best to take them as being cold could ruin a port.

The southern Fjords should be warmer than the northern Fjords. An excursion in the mountains should be colder than sea level.

A waterproof jacket is a necessity at all times of the year. Norway can be very wet.

Alternatively it could be hot and sunny and you are able to eat and drink outside. Probably a mixture of all weather.

The fjords are my favourite destination to cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends on the weather. You're going a long way north of Bedford, so it'll be colder than Bedford, almost certainly - so unless you are certain beyond all doubt that you will not need a coat, hat, gloves or scarf in Bedford in May, then you can't be sure you won't need them in Norway.

Bear in mind that the effort involved in carrying one extra coat, scarf, pair of gloves etc. is not that great; the potential downside of not enjoying the views of the snow-capped mountains because you're too cold is very great. Take the warm clothes.

Last Week in April year before last was Sunny, dry and reasonably warm in Stavangar. Last April was very cold with high winds and a windchill factor of minus 16 degrees in Stavangar. We took warm wet weather gear both times but only used them last year. Next April we are taking them again but hope not to use them.

Being prepared makes the difference to having a good day or not. I know you mentioned you will be going in May but it can't be that much difference to the last week in April when we went. You will love the Fjords :)

We went in May for our first visit and there had been a late fall of snow so there was a significant amount on the tops of the mountains. The wind blowing over the tops and down the Fjords was very cold. We had a fabulous week but were glad to have warm outerwear. As it will not be a fly cruise, luggage won't be an issue so I'd recommend taking extra clothing just in case. Enjoy! It's a beautiful place to visit.

Being a bit cheeky and invading this thread - we are cruising the fjords in September and were wondering the same thing - will we need thick coats at this time of the year?

Michele

Norway is a thin stretched out country with a big North to South range. Part of it almost on a level with the north of Scotland, some of it well above the artic circle. Where you are going in Norway will have a big effect on the temperature. Also do you intend to stay at sea level or take excursions in the mountains. Norway has enormous variations in altitude called mountains. Altitude has a big effect on temperature.

Without details of where you are going or what you are intending to do it is difficult to advise. Also how can we forecast the weather nine months ahead.

Take winter coats, scarves, gloves and hats. If you don’t use them that is a bonus.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Being a bit cheeky and invading this thread - we are cruising the fjords in September and were wondering the same thing - will we need thick coats at this time of the year?

Michele

We were in the Fjords last September and we didn't need thick coats but certainly some sort of quilted jacket. We also had fine fleeces to have under the jackets so that if needed we could layer and some of the time the fine fleece was enough. Most of the time it was warm enough to sit about outside for short periods of time but definitely not baking hot or balmy...more like an Autumn day here. A lovely area to visit....we are going back a 3rd time next year.

Thanks for the replies both.

We are visiting Stavanger, Flaam, Olden and Bergen and being pretty active, will definitely be doing some walking.

As mentioned, travelling from Southampton there is no limit on luggage, so we will take enough to be prepared for anything! Mind you, we are also on board for the week prior to the fjords, so the porters might get a bit of a shock!

Michele

We have done two fjord cruises in mid June. Last year I was going to take the warm lining out of my waterproof jacket, but glad I didn't. It was only 15c in Stavanger and cold wind.

Bergen is Europe's wettest city so we were very glad we had waterproof jackets and over trousers.

Norway is a beautiful country and as long as you go prepared with plenty of layers and waterproofs the weather doesn't really matter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the replies both.

We are visiting Stavanger, Flaam, Olden and Bergen and being pretty active, will definitely be doing some walking.

As mentioned, travelling from Southampton there is no limit on luggage, so we will take enough to be prepared for anything! Mind you, we are also on board for the week prior to the fjords, so the porters might get a bit of a shock!

Michele

Super. All off those ports are relatively Southern in Norway. They are some of my favourites. I am quite envious.

At Geiranger and Flam you will have opportunities to go up in the mountains. On my first visit to Geiranger I was in the snow and ice in the mountains and all wrapped up. My partner sat on the deck of Oriana in shorts and a tshirt. That was July though.

I think layers are the key in Norway. Your light summer clothes (from the previous cruise) can become the lower layers in Norway with jumpers and coats on top as needed.

Bergen is notoriously rainy so a waterproof and wind proof outdoors style jacket will serve too purposes. A hat and pair of gloves should not be too bad to pack.

I always take a pair of lightweight walking boots. The more trainer style type than proper walking boots.

Every Norway cruise I have been on some passengers have only packed their usual cruise clothing. It is a cruise so it must be warm. The jumper sellers at the ports must do a good business.

In September you will come back here and say how much you enjoyed the cruise but that some idiot had suggested you took a load of clothes you did not use. It was so warm and sunny.

Best wishes, Stephen.