What happens if cabin mate can't travel at last minute?

Angekins

Regarding insurance, it's paid to the traveler not the cruise line. Also, the cruise line already has the fare paid for that cabin which they will not refund so why would they ask for more money? But it does seem interesting that if you have insurance and end up solo that you really would get a great deal if the other part was refunded. In my case we didn't have insurance.

I'm still confused. Let's say Passenger X and Y plan to cruise together. Passenger X pays the $1 "First Passenger" fare and Passenger Y pays the $1 "Second Passenger Fare". Each buys cancel for any reason insurance.

Passenger Y has an issue, calls Princess cancels out the day before boarding, and files an insurance claim.

Passenger X shows up on cruise day to check in. Will they make Passenger X pay the single supplement?

They have required the passenger left to pay the single supplement. Not sure if they do this all the time. You should ask them Not telling them that you roommate is a no show, is not a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They have required the passenger left to pay the single supplement. Not sure if they do this all the time. You should ask them Not telling them that you roommate is a no show, is not a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In WVBills' post you quoted, he specifically stated the roommate cancelled and then filed an insurance claim. Ergo, not a "no show" because he/she cancelled with Princess.

Has anyone actually asked Princess once or twice? It makes sense to me what some posters are reporting. No upcharge because cabin is paid for already. Rather, money comes back to the solo cruiser - or the other person - because any pre-paid grats or port fees.

I have a similar situation in my upcoming cruise in February. One of our group cannot go due to medical reasons and is not entitled to claim on insurance through not declaring a pre existing condition. The remaining person does not have insurance either. So we have been advised that when the first cancels she will be charged a 50% cancellation fee (still in that cancellation period) and Princess will refare the remaning person to single supplement. If the first person is a no show then the remaining person is not charged any extra.

As above, do not do anything with the cruise line until you are absolutely sure.

The right thing for them to do if your companion isn't cruising, even at the last minute, is to refund the port charges to the credit card that paid them, give you double credit, and not do anything to your "cruise fare." They've already gotten 2 "cruise fares" from the room

What has actually happened on another line was that the line kept the "non-refundable" fare for the canceled person, and then attempted to refare the remaining passenger at the 100% surcharge. In essence, the cruise line was going to receive 3 "cruise fares" instead of the originally booked 2. I know the family was fighting this strenuously, but don't know if they have worked it out.

The right thing for them to do if your companion isn't cruising' date=' even at the last minute, is to refund the port charges to the credit card that paid them, give you double credit, and not do anything to your "cruise fare." They've already gotten 2 "cruise fares" from the room

.[/quote']

This is what everyone hopes will happen.

What has actually happened on another line was that the line kept the "non-refundable" fare for the canceled person' date=' and then attempted to refare the remaining passenger at the 100% surcharge. In essence, the cruise line was going to receive 3 "cruise fares" instead of the originally booked 2. I know the family was fighting this strenuously, but don't know if they have worked it out.[/quote']

This is what can happen. Usually ignored by, or unknown to the hopeful posters.