10 day cruise to Canada on Gem is missing!

oceanturtle

We are on one of these cruises. When we booked a year ago it was a round trip from NYC. A few days ago, my reservation showed the disembarkation port changing from NYC to Quebec City. As I had not received any notification from NCL that they had changed from a round trip cruise to a one way cruise to Quebec, I called them. That was a complete waste of time. The rep tried to convince me that it had always been a one way cruise to Quebec. Ummm - no. I can read my confirmation, thank you very much - and it showed a round trip out of NYC.

A couple of days later, my reservation now shows no itinerary at all. It all just disappeared. Still no notification from NCL as to what they doing with this cruise. After years of sailing with Disney (with fantastic customer service) , we tried NCL last summer for the first time and were extremely impressed. Now ....... not so much.

I am glad to know that I am not losing my mind!

I have had my eye on one of the roundtrip cruises with the overnight in Quebec in mid-September. Decided to just go ahead and book it this morning, and it is gone! I know I just saw it a couple of weeks ago when I showed my husband what might be a great anniversary trip!

We are not interested at all in a one way, but the roundtrip with the overnight in Quebec City, one of our favorite places, was perfect. I wonder why it was removed?

I wonder why it was removed?

i think maybe this might have something do with it: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/cruise-ship-industry-quebec-speed-limit-1.4273807

Depending on the distances between the ports, most ships do about 20 knots to get to port on time. Going slower like 10 knots can affect arrival times.

NCL seems to be very confused about what it's ships are doing.

The May 6, 2018 cruise from Tokyo to Seattle changed a port without telling anyone, and now it depends on which area you look in to determine if 2 of the ports are going to be visited at all. Calls to NCL are a waste of time since you get different answers from different people based on what they think you want to hear.

i think maybe this might have something do with it: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/cruise-ship-industry-quebec-speed-limit-1.4273807

Depending on the distances between the ports, most ships do about 20 knots to get to port on time. Going slower like 10 knots can affect arrival times.

Great find, thanks for posting that link!

That ruling will ultimately do harm to the touring industry in that area of Canada....wonder how all those affected by it feel?:confused:

So now, the affected cruise lines are in a mad scramble to rearrange their itineraries, in an area that is already saturated with cruises that time of year...understandable for their delay in releasing further info at this time....

because of the speed restrictions , article here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/cruise-ship-industry-quebec-speed-limit-1.4273807

they appears to be itinerary changes. When the Norwegian Jade did a similar 10 day Canada cruise out of NYC, their itinerary was revised due to the lower ship speed. I found a copy of the notification that they sent out to people:

ITINERARY MODIFICATION INFORMATION

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Jade's 10-Day Canada & New England sailing on October 6, 2017 from

New York. All guests booked on this sailing need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

Due to the Canadian Coast Guard implementing a speed restriction in the Gulf of St. Lawrence to protect Right Whales in the area there has been an

itinerary change.

Please review the revised itinerary information below:

Original Arrive Depart

Fri New York City, New York 4:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada 11:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon Charlottetown, Prince Edward I, Canada 9:00 am 5:00 pm

Tue At Sea

Wed Quebec City, Canada 8:00 am Overnight

Thu Quebec City, Canada 2:00 pm

Fri At Sea

Sat Halifax, Canada 1:00 pm 8:00 pm

Sun At Sea

Mon New York City, New York 9:00 am

Revised Arrive Depart

Fri New York City, New York 4:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada 11:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon Charlottetown, Prince Edward I, Canada 9:00 am 4:00 pm

Tue At Sea

Wed Quebec City, Canada 9:00 am midnight

Thu At Sea

Fri At Sea

Sat Halifax, Canada 8:00 am 8:00 pm

Sun At Sea

Mon New York City, New York 9:00 am

If you have pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line, updated tour information will be provided onboard.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-327-7030 (Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to midnight ET

and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 pm. ET). For any guests booked outside of the US/Canada please visit www.ncl.com for our local contact

information.

We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and look forward to welcoming you onboard Norwegian Jade.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

so i am guess NCL is modifying all of the 10 day Canada cruises and is removing the overnight stop in Quebec

I hope that's all this is. While I would miss the overnight in Quebec, it's still a nice long day and that's a decent trade off for us, at least, to keep this r/t out of NYC. I also like the longer time in Halifax - love that city!

The Dawn also has Canada/New England itineraries. I'm wondering why its cruises wouldn't also be affected if it was due to the whale issue.

I looked into this since we're booked on the 10-8 Gem cruise and may change our plans depending on what NCL does with our itinerary. Last year the Dawn's Boston to Quebec City started out being sold with same itinerary being sold this year. Last year due to the whale issue the September 22nd and October 6 Boston to Quebec itineraries were changed ...

day 4 became Sydney 10-5 instead of a sea day

day 6 became a sea day instead of Gaspesie

It looks like the only difference on the 2017 Quebec City to Boston return trips for the above sailings is that the Dawn left at 5 pm after the overnight in Quebec City instead of 6 pm as originally scheduled.

I've booked the 10-18-18 departure date for this cruise. I just happened to notice strange things going on while browsing this bar looking for info on the ship and ports. Then I went to NCL's website and saw firsthand that things were not right in little China, or on my cruise. I called my TA today expressing my concerns. She said that NCL is supposed to contact her when they make itinerary changes. They have never contacted her. When she called them today, they told her that they were not taking any new bookings for this cruise. She then asked about my itinerary and why we were sailing out to sea from NYC only to return a day later before we headed off to Canada. All NCL would tell her is that they currently are not taking any new bookings for tis cruise. She is calling her NCL rep tomorrow to find out what is going on with our cruise.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Gem's 10-Day Canada & New England sailings from New York from September 8, 2018 to October 18, 2018. All guests booked on this sailing need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

Because of a scheduling change the 10-Day Canada & New England sailings departing on these dates are no longer available. Norwegian is offering guests currently booked and fully deposited on this sailing the following options:

- Option 1: Move to one of Norwegian Gem's new Canada & New England sailings from September 8, 2018 to October 8, 2018 and your cruise fare will be protected.

- Option 2: Move to any available sailing in our fleet at the current published fare and your deposit will be applied towards the new sailing date. If you choose this option and are booked in an Inside, Oceanview, Balcony or Mini-Suite a $25 onboard credit will be applied to your onboard account. If you are currently booked in a suite (categories beginning with S or H) you will receive a $50 per stateroom onboard credit. Onboard credits can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges.

Norwegian will also cover up to $300 maximum per person air change fees. We look forward to hearing from you by January 22, 2018, so that we can modify your reservation. If we don't hear from you by January 22, 2018, your reservation will be cancelled. We are standing by to assist you on our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm ET Monday through Friday.

Below are the new itineraries for Norwegian Gem sailings between September 8, 2018 and October 18, 2018 for your reference.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/NCL-ItinChgs_Gem-2018-2019-Deployment-Revised-NYC.pdf

No more 10 day round trip cruises to canada out of NYC. Only way cruises. i hate this!!

I think we lucked out for the October 8th Gem cruise .... yes it is now one way Quebec City to New York but it is 12 days instead of 10 and we gained 6 ports. This is what NCL shows (in email attachment) as the itinerary for the replacement October 8th Gem cruise:

Mon Oct 8 Quebec City embark and overnight

Tues Oct 9 depart Quebec City at 8 pm

Wed Oct 10 Saguenay (La Baie) Quebec 8 to 5

Thur Oct 11 At Sea

Fri Oct 12 Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island 8 to 5

Sat Oct 13 Sydney, Nova Scotia 8 to 5

Sun Oct 14. Halifax, Nova Scotia 8 to 5

Mon Oct 15. Saint John, Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick 10 to 6

Tues Oct 16 Portland, Maine 8 to 5

Wed Oct 17 Bar Harbor Maine 8 to 5

Thurs Oct 18 Boston, MA. 8 to 4

Fri Oct 19 At Sea