Chef's Market Tours - Cozumel

stevea36

Has anyone done (or looked into) the Chef's Market Discoveries - Mayan Flavors And Private Dinner excursion in Cozumel ? It seems quite interesting and something to keep one away from the 23000 other cruisers who will be in town !!!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

We signed up for it back in Nov. As someone who enjoys cooking, I was really looking forward to the private dinner part of it. Unfortunately it got cancelled. They said it was storm related but I'm convinced it was because there weren't enough people, especially since it clearly stated that the ingredients wouldn't actually be purchased locally.

If you do sign up and it gets cancelled, there is a Mexican cooking class that is done at one of the beach resorts that was a lot of fun.

Would love to hear how it was if it goes through.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

http://www.cozumelchef.com/services/authentic-mexican-cooking-classes/

THIS is excellent! It's not one of those busy beach cooking things at a resort where you put together so-so food, and drink margaritas the entire time (apologies to those who like that kind of thing).

She took us into her home (4 of us) which was in the middle of a neighborhood not that close to port, and then we walked to her local market, and MADE a lovely meal that was authentic. There wasn't a tourist in sight! Awesome! I still keep my recipes for that meal. The red snapper was awesome as were all the sides. This was not Tex-Mex. Took me awhile but I finally got some great tortillas by my own hand, not a machine or a press.

Done it back in 2016. Had the specialties exec. chef and a pastry chef with us, their first time too.

Worth the money, although (when reading the excursion info again) X makes it sounds more exclusive than it is (the land part!).

The market visit was nice, although most locals already left, we did shop for fruit and fresh fish, the chefs negotiated with the local guide and merchants and produce went with the chef in a cooler bag. The dinner menu wasn't set so any produce got a good inspection of the chefs.

Your visit to the cacao factory is the same tour anyone can book, but being there before the masses and with the small excursion group it's a pleasant and personal experience. Just not as exclusive as X wants you to believe. :)

The restaurant needed some fine tuning, there was a small misunderstanding if drinks were included or not and food portions were small taster portions, be sure to sent around the plates or share as the number of portions were somewhat limited. We had pleasant conversations and enjoyed the food! And I am sure X has smoothened such things, maybe we were their first ever group, the Market Discoveries were quite new at that time.

In the evening you will meet at a lounge for a drink and will be brought to the/a MDR galley for a small tour during peak time, impressive and very interesting to learn from the chef while the plates and trays go by next to you.

We had dinner on The Porch were the chefs really went out of their way, serving and explaining each course and some of the last minute changes and inspiration they had gathered. All the wine/drinks were included, most had a package anyway, not sure if this was a gesture for the land's restaurants drinks. We had a wonderful day and evening.

The cacao farm excursion part could be any excursion, the personal experience with the chefs on the local market, chatting with them and their galley tour and hosting an exclusive dinner were the very best.

I am aware most Market Discoveries now state that produce isn't purchased and that a dinner is "inspired" on local food. Understandable from a food safety and liability point of view but to us it was really a charm and let the chefs to cook freestyle.

Also this seems to be one of the cheaper Market Discoveries, a 200ish price per person. For our upcoming Med cruise the prices are much higher, almost double, and I can hardly justify such a price.

But the Cozumel one offers value for money, at least to us with the galley tour and dinner included.