Easiest European ports for person with limited mobility?

Milk no sugar

Hello... looking for some advice. I want to take my 80 something Mum on her (and mine) first cruise (in Europe). Thinking 6-10 days and leaving from the UK... Southampton would be easiest. I see that some cruise lines and ships cater for those with limited mobility. My Mum can walk but not for long distances and finds stairs difficult. I'm mostly wondering about the best port destinations where she will be able to enjoy time off of the boat without having to climb hills and walk too far, but really cannot tell a lot from port descriptions. Have been thinking a Norwegian Cruise may be good - good views to enjoy from the ship as well?? I'll also have an 11 year old with me so I need to find a balance between keeping my daughter occupied and happy and looking after my Mum. Any advice or recommendations on boats and destinations would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You will get answers here but there is a board called European Disabled Cruising that you may also be able t get some helpful tips on

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=1025

I think in many cases the key is to think through how to get around the ports. Most of the ports really involve a lot of walking so I am thinking you might want to arrange excursions that allow her to see the local area by vehicle. For example the cruise lines often offer a highlights tour by coach which would not involve walking other then a short walk between the ship and the bus. You could also consider arranging some private tours as well.

As to your daughter would it be possible in some ports for you to do a short highlight tour for the three of you and then return to the ship and have your mum stay back on board while you go back into port with your daughter to do some things she might enjoy or even from time to time have your mum stay on board the entire time while you and your daughter go on a tour.

Just some thoughts to consider.

I would check out the other board I mentioned as well.

Keith

Thanks, that is the kind of thing I was thinking. I've been reading some cruise reviews and a few people have commented that some of the Norwegian ports are fairly small and accessible, so wondered if anyone had any personal recommendations on good stops so I can pick an itinerary accordingly. I just imagine many of the Mediterranean ports to be much bigger and further from the town centers..... though I may be completely wrong.

Hello... looking for some advice. I want to take my 80 something Mum on her (and mine) first cruise (in Europe). Thinking 6-10 days and leaving from the UK... Southampton would be easiest. I see that some cruise lines and ships cater for those with limited mobility. My Mum can walk but not for long distances and finds stairs difficult. I'm mostly wondering about the best port destinations where she will be able to enjoy time off of the boat without having to climb hills and walk too far, but really cannot tell a lot from port descriptions. Have been thinking a Norwegian Cruise may be good - good views to enjoy from the ship as well?? I'll also have an 11 year old with me so I need to find a balance between keeping my daughter occupied and happy and looking after my Mum. Any advice or recommendations on boats and destinations would be greatly appreciated.

When we brought my wifes mam on 6 cruises with us the last one for her 90th birthday 5 years ago we brought her wheelchair that we bought from a disabled retail shop.

She could walk short distances but her angina and spinal crush fracture severely limited her so we pushed her all the time in her wheelchair and this allowed her and us to go to most ports.

Choose a small ship, such as Aurora or Fred Olsen, because the corridors on board large ships can be very tiring getting from one end to another, such as dining then theatre, loos and back to the cabin.

Norway is good as you spend part of the time sailing along the fjords, and dock in the villages. From the Uk, Cadiz and Vigo dock near town, and Cartegena is very flat walking.

Also, the Baltic route ports are easily accessible (can't speak for Stockholm though as we didn't stop there) and many of those leave from the UK. St Petesburg is far from port but you pretty much need to book a tour due to Visa requirements anyway. Warnemunde is also lovely in itself without the 3 hours to Berlin.

As much as some people worry about the Baltics for kids our cruise had quite a few of them and they were having a good time. My friend also took her 8 year old on Baltic cruise and she loved it too. As much as Norway is stunning I found our cruise quite 'samey' in ports and think a cruise with different countries would be a better European voyage for you all.

Jocap,I am not sure the OP's young daughter would like a Fred Olsen cruise and I think Aurora would be ok but may still be a bit sedate for a child.

I have always said that Royal are a good mix for everyone and now I have sailed Norwegian cruise lines I will add them to the list too. Most ships are very accessible these days even the biggest ones. Saying that though, choose a ship thats less than 2000ish pax and choose a central cabin near elevators. That way it will be easier for older relatives to get to most places on the ship with less walking. Also research 'mobility at sea' who rent out wheelchairs etc for cruisers with mobility worries.

Ah, yes, sorry, I'd forgotten about the child, just thinking about the acres of corridors for the elderly... actually, Aurora is a super family ship, with great children's clubs, so that's still an idea. We liked NCL JAde, too, which is a similar size and goes from Southampton.