Taxes / Gratuity and CHEERS Program

jmm881

Alaskan Joe, thanks for the Excel file! Not that I needed - we know the Cheers! package is right for us.

I will note that I don't see the prices from the Alchemy Bar listed, where everything is $10.95. I would use the Remy XO as a substitute, if you don't feel like modifying the individual fields.

I see there is no Alchemy Bar listed, but as I originally stated this spread sheet was made for Princess Cruise Line.

Minor note about the spreadsheet:

Cell E3 isn't a calculated value, but should be: it should be "=C3*C1".

The current value is the value Alaskan Joe entered for his drink pkg total.

Ok ProgRockCruiser you are correct I have changed this cell now. So what I did is, also added a line "# of People getting Cheers" I also changed E3 to =C3*C1*C4(the added line) and put in the max # of PAX for our sailing on the Splendor. I was shocked at the price $2,401,467.60. I know not everyone gets Cheers but if only half of the PAX get it DAMN Carnival is still raking in the dough:eek:. Special note though this is a 14 day cruise so on the avg about $500,000 p/7 day cruise (if half the ship gets it). I have re-posted the updated version.

Carnival Beverage Package Evaluator.xls

The first time we got Cheers we did not purchase it until the second day. We were at breakfast recalled the number of drinks we had ordered the first day and realized immediately that we either had to slow way down or just go get the package. Since then we always do, and especially now that they have added in ALL non-alcoholic drinks and upped the per drink cost point. Now we feel free to order a mimosa with breakfast, my husband can drink all the fancy coffees he desires and sample the high end liquors, try all sorts of new drinks, and never have to worry about what the bill is going to be at the end of the cruise. We wince every time we go to purchase it, but not having to count pennies and deliberate over every drink order (alcohol or not) is so worth it.

I see there is no Alchemy Bar listed, but as I originally stated this spread sheet was made for Princess Cruise Line.

Yeah, my note was more for everyone else, in case anyone had thought drinks at Alchemy were "$8 or so" like so many other typical drinks. Sorry, i meant to clarify that, but the edit window closed before i got to it.

Very excellent spread sheet Alaskan Joe!

We have done Cheers our last cruise and it made for a very nice cruise. I really enjoyed not having to "budget" and calculate our drinks tab the whole trip. One of my co-workers and his wife were on the Valor last weekend, he texted me before he even left port and said they were 8 drinks in and I told him to buy the package. A few days later he gets off the boat and texts me that he didn't but he should have for A) they would have saved some money B) enjoyed it more C) drank more!

Let me see if I can help? I have attached a price calculator what you have to do is input in the yellow sections. First, how many days is the cruise, how many sea days, and lastly how many of each item you would be having p/day (port/sea). Also you can input how much the package will cost per day along with the total price with package, by per person or total of your group play around with it have fun. You can see we have some filled out because my DW and I are having the same issue if we should get it or not. As you fill out what you will drink you will see the total price without package go up. If you hit the total price with package you will see the worth it section go green. In our case the price is 1594.60 and as you can see we have added up to 1643.10 which makes it green. Also another note this calculator was made for Princess cruise line prices, so prices may very. If you search the Carnival boards you can find prices on some of the drinks and input them into the appropriate spot. I tend to lean toward getting the package for multiple reasons. The big one for me is I know what my bill is going to be at the end of the cruise. Also, you can get specialty coffees (instead of the crappy coffee at the buffet), fresh squeezed OJ (which I would not get if I did not have package), bottled water, milk shakes ect...... So in the end I hope this helps everybody make a sound decision.

This is the coolest spreadsheet I've seen to date on this topic and including non-alcoholic drinks made my day!! Thanks for sharing and put in the effort!

If we (sister & I) have cheers, can we order bottle of wine in mdr? If so, how does that count against 15 drink limit? I know we can each bring bottle onboard, but may want to try something they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe you only get a discount on the bottle of wine and it doesn't go against your cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing I've heard is any additional gratuity you add on your drink goes to the bartender who actually makes it, while the Cheers 15% gratuity is shared between all bar staff on board.

I hope any additional tip we leave *does* go to the actual bartender making our drink. Can anyone confirm this?

If we (sister & I) have cheers, can we order bottle of wine in mdr? If so, how does that count against 15 drink limit? I know we can each bring bottle onboard, but may want to try something they have.

I believe you only get a discount on the bottle of wine and it doesn't go against your cheers.

This is from the horses mouth!:cool: Copied/Pasted from Carnival site.

CHEERS! INCLUDES:

• All spirits (including cocktails), as well as beer and wine by the glass with a $50.00 or lower menu price
  • Sodas, Zero-Proof frozen cocktails, energy drinks, specialty coffee, hot tea, 500ml bottled water and other non-alcoholic bottled beverages
  • Large format water bottles in the Dining Room and Specialty Restaurants
  • 25% discount off the menu price for any spirit or wine by the glass above $50.00
  • 25% discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle
  • 25% discount off beverage seminars and classes