Chance of having my 7 and 9 yo in the same group - Camp Carnival

thepetroskes

What are the chances that both of my boys (ages 7 and 9) would be able to placed in the same group in Camp Carnival? I saw that one group is 6-8 and another is 9-11. This is our first cruise so I'm concerned that they won't have as much fun if they are separated.

I've heard they are pretty strict about the age groups.

With that being said, encourage and cajole and bribe and, if necessary, force them to go to Camp Ocean the very first night. More than likely, they will make friends in their own age groups and have a great time. If you wait until the second or third day, it is harder on the kids because little cliques have already formed.

They will have a BLAST in separate camps. They're not in the same class at school and I'm sure they do great meeting new friends and developing relationships.

And to be honest the 9 yr old does not want to be with his 7 yr old lil bro. This will allow them an opportunity to compare camp activities and talk about what they did at camp when you are together as a family.

Im a big sis and loved it when my siblings went to their own classes. LOL!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

It depends on how many kids are on the sailing. If there are lots of kids there is less of a chance. If there are less kids they tend to allow more switching. In reality it is up to the people at camp carnival they can if they want to.

My kids have done well when they fall into different age groups, but none are particularly shy or introverted. They have often combined those 2 age groups for group activities, so siblings have that to look forward to. I think it best to prepare them for separate groups and then if they do combine or allow your 9yo to move down, then its a bonus. The 9yo may enjoy the 9-11 group more so than the 6-8 so keep that in mind as well.

My kids have done well when they fall into different age groups, but none are particularly shy or introverted. They have often combined those 2 age groups for group activities, so siblings have that to look forward to. I think it best to prepare them for separate groups and then if they do combine or allow your 9yo to move down, then its a bonus. The 9yo may enjoy the 9-11 group more so than the 6-8 so keep that in mind as well.

The other kids in the group might appreciate the 9 year old being with the appropriate age group as well. Keep in mind this isn't all about your kids -- it is about all the kids being with the right age group.

Last January when we went on the Dream with my boys they were 13 and turning 11 during the cruise. They wanted to be together and we asked the counselor in the older group if the younger one could go in there. She allowed it and said that if there was a problem she would move him down. He is the most well behaved of all my kids so I wasn't worried. There wasn't a single problem and he enjoyed being with his brother and the older kids as he is really mature and responsible for his age.

• 3 weeks later...
When I brought my 7 & 9 year old sons a few months ago, they would let the 9 year old move down but wouldn't let the 7 year old move up. The good news is that the 2 age groups are together for quite a lot of activities anyway, so it wasn't a huge problem, thankfully.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Forums mobile app

I hope this is the case when I sail with my 9 and 7 year olds. Its during a time where there wont be many kids on the ship (school in session) and they enjoy being together and doing activities together. Plus my older one really looks out for my youngest

Mine were 5 and 7 on the last cruise and they moved the 5 year old up to the older group to be with her brother. They said if she didn't do well, they'd move her back down. She did fine and she stayed with the older group all week.