Anyone cruise MSC Splendia? The itinerary is from Ahbu Dabi is it interesting

goodluckman66

I noticed that ship was built in 2009 and do not see any dry dock for upgrades. I have a feeling it might have that tired worn out look which would not be much fun.

Is the itinerary interesting for 7 days?

Can anyone tell me if the food is decent and plenty full?

I live in Thailand so the flight is a lot closer than flying to Europe for 25 plus hours.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

The MSC board is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

First, a 9 year old ship is not a wreck. I seriously doubt you would think so on board.

Second, there are shipping industry standards for dry dock. It has been in dry dock at least twice, perhaps 3 times.

Third, food is totally subjective. What you think is great, may not appeal to me.

Given that MSC is a growing and successful cruise line, I think you might be overthinking this a bit...

You did not specify the itinerary. If the ship is going up and down the coast and then returns to Abu Dhabi, I did this on another ship. I thought the itinerary was wonderful, but it is not to everyone's taste. The United Arab Emirates are only 46 years old. Their money is so recent that basically everything is new. Abu Dhabi has one of the most beautiful and largest mosques and a brand new Louvre museum with a very interesting architecture.

The country has no street crime which means you don't have to be constantly aware of pickpockets like you have to be in many cities in the world. Taxis are plentiful, metered, and relatively cheap compared to Europe. Abu Dhabi and Dubai have hop on hop off busses. Dubai also has a metro and even a street car in one area.

The 'natives' are only 10% of the population, the others are guest workers. Immigration and customs officers are Emirati and probably the only native born people you will meet except maybe a handful who are out shopping.

jdvmd,

The United Arab Emirates and Oman have had no incidence of terrorism and they have no street crime. The same cannot be said about our home country.

It was a pleasure to use the Dubai metro without worrying about pickpockets like I would have to do in Paris. Taxis are metered. There is a standard taxi price to go from your Deira or midtown Dubai hotel to Port Rashid with the cruise terminal. Vendors in the Souk are less annoying than in the Caribbean and Mexico. Of course no bothering by vendors in the many malls. No begging anywhere. Clean, no trash, no graffiti.

One more thing, we used business class Emirates airline with a direct flight from Orlando. They pick passengers up within a radius of 50 miles from the airport and take them to their hotel at the destination and back home again. They also picked us up at the Dubai Hotel. On arrival in Dubai, they gave us a red 'fast pass' to go through customs and immigration.

If business class is in your wallet's range, take it!

One more thing, we used business class Emirates airline with a direct flight from Orlando. They pick passengers up within a radius of 50 miles from the airport and take them to their hotel at the destination and back home again. They also picked us up at the Dubai Hotel. On arrival in Dubai, they gave us a red 'fast pass' to go through customs and immigration.

If business class is in your wallet's range, take it!

I thought the free transportation was only if you were in first class. Business too? That's great. Even with point redemptions?

The cruise you’ve shown starts and ends in Dubai, not Abu Dhabi. They are two different cities. There is much to do in Dubai.

The Air Emirates deal is for passengers passing through the Dubai airport, with I think a 12 hour or longer layover. There are different hotels and transportation depending on whether you’re flying first, business or economy.

I’ve taken the Emirates flight from Bangkok to Dubai. It would be a great way to go to start a cruise. They’ve removed the first class from that flight and some of the economy seats are located on the second level. If you can swing it, business class in the A380 includes a stand up bar at the rear of the cabin!