Flowrider lesson?

martyap

Im thinking about the lessons for my daughter and and I (she is 8 but meets the height requirement). I know each kid is different but my fear is I'm going to spend $70 for her to only leave frustrated. She's fairly coordinated for her age (great swimmer, she dances, been riding a bike without training wheels for a while, etc) and was curious about anecdotal experiences from those who have tried it with younger kids.

I would not think of it just as lessons. Think of it more as renting the flowrider for dedicated time. When we did the lessons there were just three kids, and the instructors were rotating them off every 5 minutes or so. But overall, my son got approximately 20 minutes of flowrider time in one hour. When it is open boogie boarding, he might wait 15-20 minutes just to get a few minutes on there. So, he loved getting on so frequently during the private lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not think of it just as lessons. Think of it more as renting the flowrider for dedicated time. When we did the lessons there were just three kids, and the instructors were rotating them off every 5 minutes or so. But overall, my son got approximately 20 minutes of flowrider time in one hour. When it is open boogie boarding, he might wait 15-20 minutes just to get a few minutes on there. So, he loved getting on so frequently during the private lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great to know, thanks

I think what we will do then is trying it real early on the first day and she if she can handle the falls and what not...if after that she is okay with it and wants a lesson (and there is availability) we will try to book something.

Will be on the Allure next June and there are four teens in our party.....12/14/14/15

Lesson is $69pp............any thoughts? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Thanks

We were on Harmony in June and I surprised our 14yo with a lesion. I had asked her at home if she was going to do the stand up surfing and she told me flat out no. She didnt want to wait in a long line fall twice and get kicked off. She did awesome on both and made a few friends at the same time. Well worth the money for us.

And this was on a night when the temps were fairly cold and they were all shivering!

Which is funny, because on our European cruise, the teen club had reserved the Flowrider for the kids at like 10 p.m. after we left Oslo, Norway! Because who the heck else is going to use then!?! LOL! The kids loved it!

• 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, CharmCity2000 said:

We will be on the Explorer over NYE.  Let’s just assume that the ship will be packed.  Is is the lesson time outside of the public flow rider hours?

Yes

Harmony signage. Obviously Harmony has two FlowRiders, so they may have more opportunities 

20190907_184212.thumb.jpg.c6d06d57dfb9a2bc942fe9c6681c1656.jpg

20190907_184044.thumb.jpg.2ddff800dc3460b20b083286068ed0c9.jpg

20190907_184112.thumb.jpg.6b34e40d4ee27260272b46a407f9cd5b.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes

Thank you for posting the signage.  I know you sail frequently.  Can you give me your opinion?  My options for getting dedicated flow rider time seem to be private lessons or buying the Key.  There are 3 of us traveling so I would have to purchase the Key for the 3 of us.  I'm the only one that gets internet (mom's rule) when we're on vacation.  As excited as people get about Chops on the first day, my kids are that excited about Windjammer. The key would be $540 for the 9 nights.  

I think the net cost for me works out to be about $200.  Bear with me while I work this out....

Currently, I have the Voom and Soda package for $214.xx. I would cancel that and just purchase the soda package for $95.xx.  3 flow rider lessons would cost me $70*3=$210.  With the key, I would get dedicated hours on the FR.

Key = $540

+ Soda $95.xx

= $635

No Key

FR Lessons $210

Keep Voom + Soda $214

= $424

Difference = $211 to purchase the Key

While I wish I could say I would take advantage of the Chops lunch, if I do go, it would just be me.  Kids LOVE Windjammer 🙂. I don't have any standing on RC so I get on/off the ship when I'm told.  Our ports are Labadee, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao.  I don't think any of them are tenders and we have 4 days at sea.  She's done the FR at a local waterpark a number of times and can get up and stay up--so lessons aren't necessary, I'd just like her to have the time.

So is early embarkation/departure, dedicated FR/Rockwall time and no reservations for shows worth $200?

5 minutes ago, CharmCity2000 said:

My options for getting dedicated flow rider time seem to be private lessons or buying the Key.

Don’t buy Key for Flowrider time alone - the dedicated time is limited and sometimes at inconvenient times. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CharmCity2000 said:

Appreciate the advice!  I’d hate to buy the Key only to find that the times really didn’t work for us.

Probably great advice. I'm not sure I can help with your earlier question.  

BTW, what ship?

It seems the key is greatly diluted from what I got on the transpacific 1/2 sailing.  Most sailing are reporting only a single hour of key.  Therefore lesson is a better buy if all you are wanting is the flowrider.  If there are tender ports etc, maybe the key still makes sense at the price they are charging on my next cruise it makes zero sense for any reason to buy the key.

jc