Anytime Dining

kjb310

Been on a bunch of cruises and it always seem like the cruises with the older crowd, use anytime to pick their dinner time for the whole cruise usually between 6-7. The staff told us this usually happens with the more mature cruisers as they like a set time.

Been on a bunch of cruises and it always seem like the cruises with the older crowd, use anytime to pick their dinner time for the whole cruise usually between 6-7. The staff told us this usually happens with the more mature cruisers as they like a set time.

So what you're saying is, it's perfectly OK to take a table out of service from opening time to the time the people choose to eat.

Don't you see the fallacy in that way of running a DR?

No one can possible use the table between 5:15 or 5:30 PM.

If the people reserving the table were to just go to traditional dining in the first place, the problem wouldn't exist.

Just because they publicize that statement doesn't mean it's entirely true. They'll say what you want to hear but once on the ship, reality sets in. ;)

If one interprets the statement as "walk up any time and a table will be waiting for you", then it is obviously not entirely true, but he has some pretty unreasonable expectations. If he understands the first phrase, "Just like a restaurant on land", he should have reasonable expectations and in my experience get pretty much what he expects.:D

If one interprets the statement as "walk up any time and a table will be waiting for you", then it is obviously not entirely true, but he has some pretty unreasonable expectations. If he understands the first phrase, "Just like a restaurant on land", he should have reasonable expectations and in my experience get pretty much what he expects.:D

As you well know, the "walk up any time and a table will be waiting for you" is reserved for club class....who pay for that privileged.

By golly, I think that's the secret! "Anytime Dining" means whenever you get a buzz on. That way, we'll all be happy!:')

(Apologies to cruisingthomas for taking your words totally out of context.):halo:

Thought that line was great too!!! Best idea ever :-)

Your anger or disappointment should be with Princess not with those who make reservations like Princess allows.

Why don't you just make a reservation if it bothers you that others "jump the line"?

Because I do not plan my activities around my meals but the other way around. I am not so set in my ways that I must eat or do other activities at certain times. It is very frustrating to go the the MDR to eat, be told there is a wait and then see people just arriving get in. After a wait you enter and see several tables sitting empty and be told they are reserved for people coming in at a later time. It happens every cruise. My being upset is with Princess for allowing it and passengers who feel they can in convenience others because they are inflexible and do not want to stand in line.

Because I do not plan my activities around my meals but the other way around. I am not so set in my ways that I must eat or do other activities at certain times. It is very frustrating to go the the MDR to eat, be told there is a wait and then see people just arriving get in. After a wait you enter and see several tables sitting empty and be told they are reserved for people coming in at a later time. It happens every cruise. My being upset is with Princess for allowing it and passengers who feel they can in convenience others because they are inflexible and do not want to stand in line.

I understand your pain and get Princess' dilemma too. That is why after the first time naively learning what anytime dining really means and TD main sitting usually being way too early(before 6, even though you have picked 6!) I just upgraded myself because I am worth it and now only book a cc mini. This way I can truly plan meals around activities and know that 98% of the time just walk into dining room and usually get same servers and great service. I know, I just gave in, but it is so nice now. True anytime dining is so nice even if have to pay for it. But so far I have been lucky. True I have had to upgrade from my usual deluxe balcony to a mini, but I make sure I don't pay more than $20pp/day for the CC part! And the bestest part too is that I get a full bathtub/shower too instead of those oh so small showers!

Pooh

As you well know, the "walk up any time and a table will be waiting for you" is reserved for club class....who pay for that privileged.

Right, I understand completely, but it seems there are some who do not. Those of us who choose not to pay for that privilege have to just wait for a table or make a reservation, just like we do at home.

Right, I understand completely, but it seems there are some who do not. Those of us who choose not to pay for that privilege have to just wait for a table or make a reservation, just like we do at home.

That's why I avoid the whole situation & eat early.

There's not much of a wait when they first open & it's usually after 6 PM before you main course is served anyway.

On our very first cruise, we got bumped out of traditional dinning, never looked back. Choose first available and the line moves pretty good. You will have the greatest and questionable experiences in just a few days

BEcause I do not let my meal times determine when and how I do things the rest of the evening. I am also not one of those who are so rigid they must eat at the same time each and every evening or it upsets me. My anger, which is minor, is at both Princess and those who think nothing of inconvenience others without a thought.

I agree. Just because you CAN (Make a reservation) does not mean you SHOULD (stepping to the front of the line like others do not exist).