Cruising with baby

willowvacay

You don't say what ship you're looking at, but the Escape has childcare for under 3s for a fee. We just used it this last week for our 15 month old and they were great. It runs $20 per 2 hour period, and you can reserve up to 2 sessions in a row. I'll hopefully write up a review tomorrow, including the guppies weekly schedule, which I haven't seen posted before.

Edited by thatjoeguy
added kid details

You don't say what ship you're looking at, but the Escape has childcare for under 3s for a fee. We just used it this last week for our 15 month old and they were great. It runs $20 per 2 hour period, and you can reserve up to 2 sessions in a row. I'll hopefully write up a review tomorrow, including the guppies weekly schedule, which I haven't seen posted before.

That’s right, I forgot to mention this. Although we were on a Carnival ship, most lines offer babysitting services at certain times for a fee. Our experience was they offered it on port days so parents could do excursions. Our daughter left our granddaughter there while she swam with dolphins and did Dunn’s River Falls. We went to Dunn’s River, but our second part of excursion was a beach day with lunch, and it was situated right near our ship. It was a short walk back to ship in an enclosed fenced area (very safe), so I went back and got our granddaughter for some splash time on the beach.

That’s right, I forgot to mention this. Although we were on a Carnival ship, most lines offer babysitting services at certain times for a fee. Our experience was they offered it on port days so parents could do excursions. Our daughter left our granddaughter there while she swam with dolphins and did Dunn’s River Falls. We went to Dunn’s River, but our second part of excursion was a beach day with lunch, and it was situated right near our ship. It was a short walk back to ship in an enclosed fenced area (very safe), so I went back and got our granddaughter for some splash time on the beach.

NCL only has one ship with a nursery, on all of the others, if your child is under 3, you are SOL.

Be wary of the "oldies"/ older folks.

My sister took her then almost 2 year old son and while eating at the buffet the baby started getting fuzzy and crying.

Some old guy had the nerve to ask us if we can please shut that baby up. I asked that man to shut himself up and mind his own business. That was extremely rude :mad:

oh my! thats crazy. We are planning on eating some dinners in the room to avoid this kind of situation. however, she has had a lot of "practice" eating out and going in public so hopefully this wont be too much of an issue for us

Thank you this is great info! We are on escape :)

We traveled with our daughter and our 10 month old granddaughter back in 2007 while her hubby was deployed to Iraq. We shared a balcony cabin, and with the roll in crib, it was tight. Thank goodness for the balcony for a place to sit and converse when the baby was asleep. But these are my tips: bring a blow up baby bathtub to put in shower. It was a godsend. Bring a light weight umbroller with a sun awning. There is no room in the cabin for a large stroller. Someone else mentioned packing all baby meds. Most definitely, but let me add to pack pedialyte. I am so glad I did, as our little one began vomiting on day 2. Motion sickness? Who knows, because it only lasted the day, but I was glad we thought to pack it. She was also still on formula and baby food (we had a hard time getting her to eat table food) so we had to pack both, along with diapers. But I see you are sailing NCL, and they do sell diapers to be ordered online ahead and left in your cabin. NCL usually has a room called Guppies for babies to crawl around and play. We did not have that on our ship. We used to go to the library because nobody Cruising a Carnival ship is ever in the library—LOL—and closed the door and let her crawl in there. I hope these tips help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

These are very helpful! Thank you. I hadn't thought of pedialyte

Does anyone have any tips for what to do as far as ground transportation? We are thinking we will have to bring the carseat so we can get a taxi or shuttle from airport to cruise port and on excursions?

we bought a Sit n stroll made by LillyGold (also listed as Triple Play- I think that was their original name). They are very expensive, but you can sell them after your kids are done and get at least 2/3 of your initial investment back. They are car seats where you pull out a handle (like on a suitcase) and wheels pop out of the bottom thus turning it into a stroller. You don't even need to take the child out- it just goes from car seat to stroller and back to car seat etc. This worked perfectly- only one thing that we needed to bring. It is FAA approved for flights, and thin enough for airplane seats. Can buckle into any car with the regular seat belt.

Look for used ones on ebay too.

http://lillygold.com/product/featured-product/5-in-1-sit-n-stroll-elite/

Does anyone have any tips for what to do as far as ground transportation? We are thinking we will have to bring the carseat so we can get a taxi or shuttle from airport to cruise port and on excursions?

We do take a car seat if we are flying to the port. We use it for the cab to and from hotel, port, airport, etc. In ports if we took a cab we would use the car seat, it so far we have chosen to use transport that does not require a car seat. Walking, large busses, and boats. And if baby has a seat on the plane (which we definitely prefer to do, but don’t do every time) obviously we use the car seat there too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We do take a car seat if we are flying to the port. We use it for the cab to and from hotel, port, airport, etc. In ports if we took a cab we would use the car seat, it so far we have chosen to use transport that does not require a car seat. Walking, large busses, and boats. And if baby has a seat on the plane (which we definitely prefer to do, but don’t do every time) obviously we use the car seat there too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

first timer question: how does one know if a car seat is required in certain transportation. lol yes, we are new parents.

it's always safer for the baby to be in a car seat, regardless of the rules of a particular country. The issue is seat belts. Some buses don't have them, and in some countries the taxis don't always either. If there aren't seat belts to attach the car seat then that's a problem.

it's always safer for the baby to be in a car seat, regardless of the rules of a particular country. The issue is seat belts. Some buses don't have them, and in some countries the taxis don't always either. If there aren't seat belts to attach the car seat then that's a problem.

Oh ok! That makes sense! I guess if we decide to do anything with vehicle transport we will have to try to contact the company in advance to figure out what the seatbelt situation is :)