Medallion Net - First Bite

D&L Thomas

Sitting in the terminal waiting to board the Regal. A young, enthusiastic, and very loud woman is yelling instructions and introductions on how to use the new system. Did I mention that she is very loud?

So everybody in the terminal is confusedly peering at their phones, trying to download the apps.

Hopefully it’s great. Call me a curmedgeon but one of the things I always liked about cruising was to put my phone away in the safe. And people talking to each other instead of gazing at their screens.

I will keep an open mind. But I dislike the yelling. :(

Sitting in the terminal waiting to board the Regal. A young, enthusiastic, and very loud woman is yelling instructions and introductions on how to use the new system. Did I mention that she is very loud?

So everybody in the terminal is confusedly peering at their phones, trying to download the apps.

Hopefully it’s great. Call me a curmedgeon but one of the things I always liked about cruising was to put my phone away in the safe. And people talking to each other instead of gazing at their screens.

I couldn’t agree more! I work in a field where I stay constantly connected. The only way I was ever able to truly disconnect was the occasional escape to environments where the technology couldn’t work (i.e. phone, text, internet). In these environments I couldn’t do anything about it except to record a voicemail to explain I couldn’t be reached and provide instructions on seeking assistance in my absence - not having the ability to easily communicate alleviated the guilt I felt for not being accessible. On recent flights I’ve been on they have now equipped planes so you can still receive texts; ships are integrating similar features; far flung countries that are less industrialized have cell towers. Can we just allow the sanctity of cruise ships, air planes, and some third world countries remain? There are/were only a few places where you could legitimately say you can’t be reached and people would accept it and move on and wait for you to return and not penalize you for not being available at their beck and call. (If you’re not self employed,or don’t own a small business this struggle may not make a lot of sense - it’s easy to say ‘you have to set boundaries,’ but that’s not always practical in some businesses.) Anyhow, places where you are legitimately unreachable are becoming no more. And that makes me a bit sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An out of control Navigator? Maybe she's off her meds or released too soon from The Home.

Seriously, I would think Princess could produce an instructive handout (a la Princess at Sea) and be done with it. How hard can it be to connect to Medallion Net?

Two months in ... any better than the 1st ***** sailing? Any heads roll yet? A lot of $$$ spent so far on a part-baked program.

If I understood correctly comments in another thread, seems that at some point pax will need to pair their ***** with their smart device to realize the full potential. Really?

Again ... anybody fired yet? Rant over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

If I understood correctly comments in another thread, seems that at some point pax will need to pair their ***** with their smart device to realize the full potential. Really?

is they any specs/system requirements for the pairing?

Norwegian cruise line app is somehow not compatible with my android device according to the google play store. Yet if i manually download the apk file from google play and manually install it, the app works perfect with no problems..so strange and annoying

An out of control Navigator? Maybe she's off her meds or released too soon from The Home.

Seriously, I would think Princess could produce an instructive handout (a la Princess at Sea) and be done with it. How hard can it be to connect to Medallion Net?

Two months in ... any better than the 1st ***** sailing? Any heads roll yet? A lot of $$$ spent so far on a part-baked program.

Again ... anybody fired yet? Rant over.

If by "full potential" you mean sitting in one spot and ordering a drink, etc. then the answer is "yes". However, there should be portals all over the ship that let one do everything and the TV in the cabins should also be fully functional so there is no real "need" to own or pair a smartphone in order to get full use of the medallion other than the aforementioned "sit in one spot and order things".

If by "full potential" you mean sitting in one spot and ordering a drink, etc. then the answer is "yes". However, there should be portals all over the ship that let one do everything and the TV in the cabins should also be fully functional so there is no real "need" to own or pair a smartphone in order to get full use of the medallion other than the aforementioned "sit in one spot and order things".

Yes, I was thinking of the Here and Now and Then and There etc. I must have misread or misunderstood all the hoopla because I did not know of the pairing feature. So, the ***** is not a totally stand-alone system ... and it's still a work in process. For how much longer, I wonder.

We don’t have smart phones. When we get on the ship the first we do is turn off the phones. We leave to computers at home. We are on vacation, I don’t want to think about business. So whatever aps Princess comes up with they won’t do us any good.

I couldn’t agree more! I work in a field where I stay constantly connected. The only way I was ever able to truly disconnect was the occasional escape to environments where the technology couldn’t work (i.e. phone, text, internet). In these environments I couldn’t do anything about it except to record a voicemail to explain I couldn’t be reached and provide instructions on seeking assistance in my absence - not having the ability to easily communicate alleviated the guilt I felt for not being accessible. On recent flights I’ve been on they have now equipped planes so you can still receive texts; ships are integrating similar features; far flung countries that are less industrialized have cell towers. Can we just allow the sanctity of cruise ships, air planes, and some third world countries remain? There are/were only a few places where you could legitimately say you can’t be reached and people would accept it and move on and wait for you to return and not penalize you for not being available at their beck and call. (If you’re not self employed,or don’t own a small business this struggle may not make a lot of sense - it’s easy to say ‘you have to set boundaries,’ but that’s not always practical in some businesses.) Anyhow, places where you are legitimately unreachable are becoming no more. And that makes me a bit sad.

Understand the need for small business to keep in touch. DH has that issue also.

Could use an old phone for Medallion use only.

Ocean Medallion is a RFID chip, sensors all over the ship, and software that tracks the medallion's location as *it* moves around the ship (including unlocking your stateroom door when it's in your pocket as you stand in front of the door). Anything beyond that, it's a matter of informing the software that *this* smartphone belongs to the person the medallion was issued to. Gives Princess lots of marketing data on where passengers spend their time on board, and when -- even when and for how long in the lines outside the ladies' rooms.

Ha Ha we own a business and just happened to run into someone on the ship and this woman was bound and determined to talk about what was with her carpet, well like what am I going to do leave the ship and drive home a 8 hour drive and take care of it. Thankfully her friends drug her off. I would really have said it will wait , I can't do anything for it.....:rolleyes: