Pride Of America review 1/13/2018

Dbr326@aol.com

Just returned from our 7 day cruise on the pride of america. there were good and bad points. T start it off we were in honolulu for 3 days prior to departure on our cruise. This included 3 days of great tours all over honolulu . Our tour guide Koa Low was awesome ! We were with him during the missile warning (This is not a drill) he was very professional cool calm which helped all of us stay calm. we continued on with our tour after deciding there was nothing we could do to change it. Friday we received an email from NCL changing our itinerary . We did not leave the port until midnight on saturday . We then had a day at sea before we docked in Maui on Monday at 700 am and left the dock at 600. Because of the change we missed 2 excursions. One was a beach day which was ok with us to miss but sunday was our anniversary and we had booked a trip to the crater to see the sunset above the clouds . WE WERE DISSAPPOINTED but understand the change due to safety reasons. The rest of the cruise was uneventful (thank goodness). We had an aft facing balcony room which i would highly recommend . We felt like it was very comfortable . The service on this ship seems to be lacking. We felt like it was ship wide . The last night we had a lated dinner in the hibachi restaurant and it was the worst meal of our trip . It wasn't helped by being seated at a table full of really drunk loud patrons ! The dessert was deplorable !!!!

tappanyaki was awful to me especially the dessert . it was some kind of green tea cake yuck ! It didn't help that the whole table was drunk except us.

Would you please advise? Would you be able to go to shore where the ship docked or do you need excursions to get to see anything. We cruise Hawaiian islands 3-10

Dbr326 - As to Teppanyaki, wasn't their an alternative dessert of "Fresh Fruit Sashimi"?

CrusinBuddy - As to going ashore, the cruise you were reading about was not usual due to high surf. The normal pattern is docking at Maui overnight, docking in Hilo, tendering in Kona and docking overnight at Kauai. When the ship is docked or tenders are running you are free to go ashore as you wish.

Do you (or anyone else) know if this is common in January? Or something that could happen anytime?

Please remember that there are no guarantees, of course, but we live on Maui full-time and the closure of Kahului Harbor to the POA was quite a surprise to us. We can't even remember the last time that happened.

Please remember that there are no guarantees, of course, but we live on Maui full-time and the closure of Kahului Harbor to the POA was quite a surprise to us. We can't even remember the last time that happened.

Thank you for the response - I was hoping that would be the case. I have POA booked for January 2021 (yes, a long way away, but for a specific birthday.) I absolutely understand one-off scenarios but if it were a common concern, I would have just done a land trip and miss some islands. Sounds like I don’t need to worry.

• 1 month later...
A review posted to the POA site claims cans of soda can be purchased at the gift shop did you see this

And also at most of the bars. Pinks would not sell cans, but the bar across the aisle from them would sell cans. They were $3.45+18% gratuities. I don't know how much the cans were at the gift shop.