Considering RCL for June cruise to Bermuda--looking for feedback!

btobey

Hi everyone! My husband and I are considering RCL Grandeur of the Seas to cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda in June (combining with a visit to DC). This will be our third cruise together; we previously sailed Celebrity Galaxy for our honeymoon and HA Amsterdam for our 5th anniversary. This June will be our 15th anniversary--plus we also both turn 50 this year, so we have a few things to celebrate! :D

I have read some mixed reviews of this ship given that it is older. That's not likely to bother us, since we are not frequent cruisers and not overly picky. We also don't require amazing entertainment or a ton of activities on board. Still, if anyone has any feedback that might be helpful--good or bad--please post!

I also have a few specific questions that I hope some of the veterans out there can assist me with.

• Where is the best place to book a cruise? I have read that the prices are the same whether you book directly through the line (which I know my spouse would be inclined to do) versus an online site--is this true?
  • Is there any advantage in going through a travel agent, or would it be easier to just book ourselves?
  • Would it be worth getting a balcony from Baltimore to Bermuda in early June (6/2/18 sail date)? We had one on our first cruise and regretted not getting one on the second, but I thought sailing the Atlantic might be different.
  • Anything else I should know? As you can see, it's been awhile since our last cruise! ;p

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Where is the best place to book a cruise? I have read that the prices are the same whether you book directly through the line (which I know my spouse would be inclined to do) versus an online site--is this true?
  • Is there any advantage in going through a travel agent, or would it be easier to just book ourselves? ...

There is no universal "best" place to book a cruise. I'd look at some travel agencies that have been recommended to you (we cannot mention travel agencies here), and see what they have to offer. Compare to booking directly with the cruise line. Some people like booking direct because of the ability to reach the cruise line customer service 24/7. Some like travel agents because of the perks and service provided.

Thanks Bob for the super-quick response! That seems generally to be what I've read so far. We did use a travel agent for our last trip (not a cruise); it was nice to have someone else take care of arrangements, but I'm not sure it added much.

We considered RCL for the same sort of cruise you're looking at, but went with NCL instead. The Grandeur itinerary only gives you about 24 hours in Bermuda, and its a weird breakdown with roughly a half day back to back, which we felt would impact our ability to do things such as visit St. George's. NCL gives you pretty much 3 full days.

If you're locked in on leaving from Baltimore, then I'm sure other people can give their experiences (and I'm sure you'd have a great time; we're booked on the Grandeur for a SE/Bahamas cruise for next year, so we have no concerns about the ship itself).. But if you're not locked in on Baltimore and can spare the extra 2 days, I'd suggest NCL out of NYC.

A very slight negative which we have just experienced with a booking with Royal to Bermuda is they have cut one day from our booked overnights in Bermuda. From 3 days to 2 and added in Boston.

Apparently it's 'quite common' due to port congestion in Kings Wharf. Just something to perhaps be mindful of.

I will also be booking next time with a travel agent, never again RCI customer services for me, I did not have a good experience [emoji853]

Bermuda though looks fab and we are so looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you're locked in on leaving from Baltimore, then I'm sure other people can give their experiences (and I'm sure you'd have a great time; we're booked on the Grandeur for a SE/Bahamas cruise for next year, so we have no concerns about the ship itself).. But if you're not locked in on Baltimore and can spare the extra 2 days, I'd suggest NCL out of NYC.

I agree that the time spent in Bermuda is a little odd. We actually had considered a longer NE/Bermuda cruise on HA, but the spouse doesn't want to cruise for that long and really wants to combine with a treat to DC, hence the Baltimore departure.

I will also be booking next time with a travel agent, never again RCI customer services for me, I did not have a good experience [emoji853]

Bermuda though looks fab and we are so looking forward to it.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience! We still could go with an agent; I'm not sure.

First and foremost, congratulations on your upcoming celebrations! My husband and I did the Grandeur cruise to Bermuda out of Baltimore a few years ago. Since you are combining this cruise with a trip to DC, which is a great combination, you are pretty much locked in to Grandeur, versus your cruise options from Bayonne. We loved our Bermuda cruise. It's true that Grandeur is older and smaller than the newer ships, but that was not a problem for us. We prefer smaller, more intimate ships, and a lot of us neither want nor care about all the bells 'n whistles of the bigger ships. And cruising out of Baltimore is very easy. Bermuda is a lovely island. We were there for 2 nights, and it was enough.

It's a personal preference whether you book directly with RCI or with a travel agent. You will pay the same either way, but an agent might give you some on board credit, or other perks.

My husband and I lived in suburban Baltimore for 45 years, so if you have any questions about logistics or anything else about your trip, just ask away. Also, you can check the East Coast Departures Board for lots of current information.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Thanks so much, Karen! Great to hear about your experiences. We sailed out of Baltimore for our honeymoon, and you are right, it was very easy. You are also right that if we decide to do the combined Bermuda/DC trip (which we are not 100% on yet), this is pretty much our only option. But we are like you--we prefer smaller, more intimate ships also, and we really don't require any of the newer bells and whistles. ;)

Thanks so much, Karen! Great to hear about your experiences. We sailed out of Baltimore for our honeymoon, and you are right, it was very easy. You are also right that if we decide to do the combined Bermuda/DC trip (which we are not 100% on yet), this is pretty much our only option. But we are like you--we prefer smaller, more intimate ships also, and we really don't require any of the newer bells and whistles. ;)

You're very welcome. I also wanted to respond to the other poster's comment about their bad experience booking with an RCI rep. I can honestly say that in over 20 years of cruising with RCI, we have NEVER had a bad experience booking directly with them. I cannot make the same statement about some experiences we had with travel agents. I only just dipped my toes back in the world of travel agents for our upcoming cruise. It's been years since we used a travel agent, and decided I'd try one more time. So far it's been good, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. So my advice to you is to talk to friends to see who they use and get recommendations. But I wouldn't hesitate to book with RCI. More likely than not, you will have a good experience.:)

Consider the weather. Early June can be pretty chilly for sailing across the sea. You may not be wearing your bikini and sitting around the pool sipping foo foo drinks. Bermuda is the same level as North Carolina. I can't say I would go to a beach vacation in NC in early June. But then again, you may luck out and have warm temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums