Solo Cruising

I need to cruise again but DH doesn't have as much free time as I do. I am thinking of doing some solo cruises but want to see what others think. The last cruise the two of us did, we noticed more people tend to dress casual at night and the Windjammer seems to be open every night and is also where the themed nights are now. How I miss the dressing up for dinner but the last cruise shorts and t-shirts were in the main dining room so the elegance is gone. I would probably do for my first time an inside as a solo on 7 nights or longer. I've done them on a 3 nighter and they aren't bad. Afterall, how much time do you really spend in the room?

I need to cruise again but DH doesn't have as much free time as I do. I am thinking of doing some solo cruises but want to see what others think. The last cruise the two of us did, we noticed more people tend to dress casual at night and the Windjammer seems to be open every night and is also where the themed nights are now. How I miss the dressing up for dinner but the last cruise shorts and t-shirts were in the main dining room so the elegance is gone. I would probably do for my first time an inside as a solo on 7 nights or longer. I've done them on a 3 nighter and they aren't bad. Afterall, how much time do you really spend in the room?

Done several solo sailings... Interior, ocean view and balcony. Time spent in room?? Close to zero! In the balcony room, maybe an extra 30sec to take a photo in the morning. Interior is perfect [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will find the solo thread helpful. I have cruised solo on NCL because some of their ships have studios designed for solo cruisers and you don't have to pay double. Will do my first solo on RC next month. Give NCL a look. The ships with studios are fun.

I cruise solo the majority of the time. While I do have others join me on occasion - for the most part I cruise solo.

I personally eat in the Windjammer when cruising solo as it is fast and easy. I will eat in the MDR on lobster night though :-) And I always do My Time Dining since I know most of the time I am not going to be in the MDR. When I do go to the MDR, I bring my kindle with me and read while waiting for my food. I don't however wear shorts! Even when I go to the Windjammer I will generally wear capris, slacks or a skirt. I don't feel the need to be fancy, but nor do I feel the need to be overly casual.

As for rooms - it depends on where I am cruising. If I am doing Caribbean usually an inside room is fine. On Oasis class they have oceanview studios - so I will go for that. If I am going someplace beautiful like Norway - I will pay for the oceanview balcony because it is worth it to me. When I do have a balcony, I use it. I enjoy sitting out and watching the ocean while enjoying a nice glass of wine.

Edited by LisaAtlCruiser
Add more to post

Taken over 40 cruises solo. Prefer it that way,

• Type of room generally depends on the intinery and what I plan to do. 90% of the time it's an inside as it's more economical.
  • Unless you're lucky enough to book a solo cabin when the cruise is first published. Standard cabins at the single supplement rate tend to be cheaper and you get double C&A points.
  • Book MTD but often just eat in the Windjammer.
  • Haven't brought formal wear in years. In fact I travel the world with a 18" roll-on and BTW I'm a woman. Rather I pack items that can be dressed up or down an outfit if I choose to do any formal night dining .
  • Don't have to deal with thing such as waiting for someone to get ready, negotiating with others as to what to do, come and go as I please, etc.
  • There's always other passengers to talk to if you want.

I have done 14 cruises solo, and I have enjoyed them all. As others have said having your own space, and not negotiating with others on what to do and when or sharing a small bathroom priceless. I have generally done a real balcony, but I am going to take a leap, and try VB, and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app