pv1 vs pv2

Cristinarep

On 2/5/2019 at 4:31 PM, emileg said:

I followed moatenote's advice and got a quick reply. Yes, there are definitely two types of rooms.  I only asked about PV3 on deck 4.  Here is the response:

Sliding glass doors:  4010, 11, 16,1 7, 18, 19, 24, 25

Window & hinged door:  4012, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23

This is correct.  We were in 4022 on our cruises. Switched to 4019 with sliding glass for the next cruise.

I like floor 4 foreword as I flit up to the Explorer Lounge a lot and it's also quick access to the Theater for our early morning excursions.  Love the exercise walking up and down the flights of stairs.  

We really enjoyed deck 4. Agree with the convenience of using the nearby stairs Phil. 

We were in 4014 - door/window. 

We are next in 4011 - we were originally thinking we would prefer a little further back, but I am not really sure it will make much difference - and the bed in 4011 faces in the right direction for me as I do better facing forward. 

Edited by Vineyard View

Hi All, We have stayed in both PV slider and window/door rooms.  We also preferred the PV slider room.  While onboard last cruise, I was booking a cruise for 2020 and asked the onboard consultant which PV rooms were sliders, so I could book the right room.  He gave me a list of the PV slider rooms - i''m attaching the list.  Even rooms on port side/Odd rooms on starboard side.

Of course, we just got an upgrade DV4 to PV1 for Jupiter cruise next Saturday Feb 16 and the PV room is window/door - but it's an upgrade so I'll take it!

Viking PV slider rooms.pdf

Thank you MJAdventures for posting that list of P.V. sliders. I was wondering if our 2 rooms would have sliders or double windows. Looks like both of our rooms (5015, 5017) on floor five are sliders. I thought the sliders would be the same on each floor but that is not the case. I assumed the ribs on the side of the ship would be in the same place for every floor but from you list floor 4 and 5 are different for the rooms above and below each other.

Thanks again,

Jeffrey

2 hours ago, MJAdventures said:

Hi All, We have stayed in both PV slider and window/door rooms.  We also preferred the PV slider room.  While onboard last cruise, I was booking a cruise for 2020 and asked the onboard consultant which PV rooms were sliders, so I could book the right room.  He gave me a list of the PV slider rooms - i''m attaching the list.  Even rooms on port side/Odd rooms on starboard side.

Of course, we just got an upgrade DV4 to PV1 for Jupiter cruise next Saturday Feb 16 and the PV room is window/door - but it's an upgrade so I'll take it!

Yes - thank you for this pertinent information.  We are in a slider PV for our upcoming cruise and will be interested to see how it works out.  It seems to appear that most posters prefer those to the doors (so far)

Thank You MJAdventures. This is a great list to file away of the sliders on all the decks. 

Jeffrey, I would think the same thing about the ribs. It doesn’t make sense to me either that one deck would shift that much. When a ship engineer (non Viking) who was on board told me that the door/window combination was was due to the ribs, that seemed logical to me. He showed me the visual from the dock. I honestly do not know about the structure of ships as he did, so don’t know what to think

43 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes - thank you for this pertinent information.  We are in a slider PV for our upcoming cruise and will be interested to see how it works out.  It seems to appear that most posters prefer those to the doors (so far)

The only advantage of the window/door combination is that you could look at the window from a sofa :) 

I believe the explanation of the differences between deck 4 and 5 door arrangements may lie in the different category arrangements.  Deck 4 has 4 DV cat rooms at the bow while Deck 5 has only 3.  Also, there are 2 DV cabins in the middle of the string of PV cabins on Deck 5.  In other words (speaking only to one side for simplicity), Deck 4 has 4 DV, 8 PV and then DV while Deck 5 has 3 DV, 8 PV, 2 DV, and then 4 PV.  Bottom line, the walls of the cabins do not necessarily line up from deck to deck and therefore would not have the same structural constraints.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 4:47 PM, SM77 said:

I second moatenote.  I plan to book a PV3 for a 2021 Southeast Asia cruise on our upcoming cruise to NZ-Australia-Indonesia so having this information is very helpful!

We are in a PV3 room with a sliding door (4010) - purely by chance.  And we find we absolutely love the slider.  It makes the room look even larger, as the slide takes up nearly 75 % of the width of the room, so the "floor to ceiling" opening makes things so much nicer.  As for sitting on the couch and looking out a window (with the door rooms), we do just the same thing, by turning the small armchair around to face outside and put the desk chair right up next to it.  Easy!

Plus PV3 being on Deck 4 makes it feel a bit smoother, and the hallways are so quiet up here! (Dead end hallway).  Easy to get to Star Theatre, Mamsens, Explorers Lounge, and more (although a well needed walk back to the restaurants and World Cafe!)

We plan to do PV3 as much as possible - although we are finding they book up quickly as there are not that many of them.

Our first 2 VO cruises we were in DV rooms. We upgraded for our last cruise to a PV2 and as luck would have it, we ended up with a room with a fixed door and our traveling companions next door had a slider.  The vote was unanimous among the four of us in favor of the slider!  On days with even a little bit of wind,  opening that dang door to go out on the balcony was very difficult.  And with the door opening outward, that restricted how you arranged your table and chairs somewhat on the balcony.  Our next cruise (BI in July) is also a fixed door (we couldn't change cabins) but we made sure our 2020 Med Odyssey has a slider!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Very useful info, thanks for sharing it.

I would definitely prefer the slider, and will be sure to ask.   Does anyone know if the same numbers on other floors use the same protocol (5010 same as 4010, etc)?

Here's a link to the list of PV cabins with sliding doors.  And no, it doesn't look like the same numbers on different floors have the same arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

The Picture showing a sliding door & Window is a PS1. Penthouse Jr Suite. We had one last March. OK, OK, if there are other cabin classes with both a slider and window I stand corrected. Just what we had. Very nice to have the extra space.