Long haul flights with kids - looking for tips

TupeloHoney

We have flown many times with our kids, and they are great travelers. But we are about to attempt our first flight to Europe with them. We're doing a Mediterranean cruise for spring break.

Any tips for those long haul over-night flights? I really need them to sleep at least a little bit so they aren't so crabby when we get there.

I'm thinking neck pillows and ear protectors. I'm hoping the airline provided blanket will be enough. And just have a screens off policy at some point? I was also thinking about audiobooks loaded onto their ipods. i'm thinking they might doze off listening to a book? And no candy after a certain point too.

We have two connections, but the long flight leaves Chicago at about 8:00pm. I assume they will serve dinner on the flight? Shortly after take off? So maybe have them attempt sleep after they clean up from dinner?

If it makes any difference we are flying Lufthansa and we have premium economy, and both kids have window seats. I'm thinking that should help!

Any tips welcome!

You didn’t mention your kids’ ages. How old will they be when you are traveling?

Some general suggestions — over the ear earphones are great and usually comfortable enough for sleeping. Our son has some children’s noise canceling headphones that he loves.

Wear layers, as flights can get cold. Seats by the windows are usually coldest, so an extra layer and warm socks help a ton.

If your kids are picky eaters, contact the airline and request kids meals for them. They should get served first and dinner may go smoother if they like what they are eating. Alternatively, feed them at the airport before you board and let them sleep or watch videos during dinner.

You may get an amenities kit from the airline with eye masks, which will help block out the light and make sleeping easier. Alternatively, you can bring your own or even make some simple ones from soft fabric and elastic before you go.

Pack backpacks with games, drawing stuff, activities, extra clothes, toothbrushes, snacks, etc. so that these items are close at hand.

Bring empty water containers so that your kids always have something to drink close at hand.

Kids’ Dramamine is good if your kids get airsick at all. It may also help if they have trouble sleeping, as it induces drowsiness.

Of course, every child and every flight is a bit different. Our son slept well going to Europe, but slept very little on the way back, if I recall correctly.

Edited to add: don’t be afraid to ask the flight attendant for extra pillows or blankets, if you need them.

My experience traveling with our kids, they handle long flights better than adults. However, left to their own devices, they may stay awake too long and then be asleep or grumpy when the flight is finished, making for a stressful trip through customs and such at the other end.

You can't force a kid to sleep, but you try and make them active enough to tire themselves out, and then make them quiet enough to relax and hope for sleep to come naturally. Try and figure out a reasonable "bedtime", based on the flight schedule, and the time zones you're traveling to and from. Definitely turn off any sort of video games before "bedtime". If they are of the age to read books independently, that's a good way to get them to relax. If they're not reading yet, showing them a calm nature documentary (not a cartoon!) can sometimes have a similar effect. Your idea of audiobooks on the iPod also may work well. Make a trip to the restroom before bedtime, and try to follow as much of their normal bedtime routine as practical.

When you get to Europe, my best advice is to drag everyone outdoors and into the sunlight as early in the morning as is practical, at least until your internal clocks are accustomed to the new time zone. And allow for naps in the afternoon if needed.

Finally, have reasonable expectations. Resign yourself to the fact that such a large change in time zones is going to make everyone a bit tired and perhaps grumpy the first few days, no matter what strategy you use. Don't push too hard the first few days; allow some time for rest and readjustment.

We have flown many times with our kids, and they are great travelers. But we are about to attempt our first flight to Europe with them. We're doing a Mediterranean cruise for spring break.

Any tips for those long haul over-night flights? I really need them to sleep at least a little bit so they aren't so crabby when we get there.

I'm thinking neck pillows and ear protectors. I'm hoping the airline provided blanket will be enough. And just have a screens off policy at some point? I was also thinking about audiobooks loaded onto their ipods. i'm thinking they might doze off listening to a book? And no candy after a certain point too.

We have two connections, but the long flight leaves Chicago at about 8:00pm. I assume they will serve dinner on the flight? Shortly after take off? So maybe have them attempt sleep after they clean up from dinner?

If it makes any difference we are flying Lufthansa and we have premium economy, and both kids have window seats. I'm thinking that should help!

Any tips welcome!

We’ve done quite a few long haul flights with our two boys (now 4 & 7). We try to stick to a routine as much as possible. Our flights typically are 7-8 pm overnight flight. The first part of the flight is typically beverages/meal and we make sure and have them tagged for a child’s meal so that they are served first. That way they finish up while majority of the flight are still eating and we then have availability of bathrooms to do bedtime routine and change into PJs. They are allowed watch one 30 min show of their choice and then its screens off until “morning”. They bring their own travel pillow and blanket (neck pillows were never popular with them). I use the airline provided blanket to make a hammock (tuck one end under the seat cushion and their body weight holds in place, other end loop each side over the side bars of the tray table and lock it back in place) this allows them to stretch out and lay down which they sleep better then reclined plus bonus of dropped stuffed animal doesn’t need to be fished out from floor. They usually get several hours of solid sleep and are ready to go when the flight lands. We also use gummy melatonin on the flight and first couple days in new time zone. Flights back are usually daytime flights so not a lot of sleeping. We load up their kindle fires with some new games and couple movies, bring along a few magnetic games from target dollar bin and a small ziploc bag of toys (save up happy meal toys) and they are occupied for the whole flight. Also, bring gum for takeoff and landing or if younger, pack of Annie’s bunnies fruit snacks worked great. Happy travels!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The airline blankets are thin and surprisingly warm.

Melatonin or Benadryl can make them sleepy. Talk to your pediatrician about dosage. Both were recommended to our daughter at one point.

The one thing that helps us is to change the time on our electronics when we board the plane. If they ask you what time it is, you can truthfully tell them it’s 10pm (in Frankfort)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums