Indian visa for uk citizens

FRUITGUM2911

Hi all.

I have recently read that starting Jan this year UK cruisers can use an EVISA rather than buy a TOURIST VISA for visiting India. We are cruising in April and will be stopping at Cochin, Mangalore, Goa and Mumbai.

Anyone got any definite news about this?

FRUITGUM.

We just returned from Mumbai (not on a cruise) and equipped ourselves with conventional visas before reading about the evisa available online. Upon arrival, we noted a separate queue for "evisa holders" - though of course, we simply went through the normal channels. Sorry....no advice to offer then, apart from the observation that yes, they're available and being used.

Thank You for your quick reply. I have now spoken to someone at the Indian High Commission and you can now enter 25 airports and 5 seaports with an E-Visa. It will be stamped at the first port of entry and will last 60 days. The reason no one is using it yet is because this was announced on 30th December 2017 with immediate effect and obviously people cruising in Jan 2018 and possibly February would have already got the tourist visa. So good news for future cruisers to India.

The (recent?) extension of the eVisa to include seaports (Cochin, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai, Chennai) does appear to be good news for cruisers, both from the UK and elsewhere.

The relevant advice may be found here and here.

My only nagging concern is that the eVisa only allows two entries; so the question is does each time you enter a new port in India count as a fresh entry into the country?

I would double check with Regent and the Indian visa service before proceeding with your application.

On a Regent cruise a year ago that took in the coast of India a couple of passengers had to stay on board in all Indian ports because they had the wrong type of visa. To say they were disappointed is an understatement :eek:

Thank You for your quick reply. I have now spoken to someone at the Indian High Commission and you can now enter 25 airports and 5 seaports with an E-Visa. It will be stamped at the first port of entry and will last 60 days. The reason no one is using it yet is because this was announced on 30th December 2017 with immediate effect and obviously people cruising in Jan 2018 and possibly February would have already got the tourist visa. So good news for future cruisers to India.

Excellent news :D - sounds like my fears were unfounded.

On an earlier cruise which included several Indian ports of call, we too were confused about the correct visa regarding the number of entries: one source of advice stated that our cruise, which called at Chennai, Cochin and Mumbai entered India only once....in Chennai, and left India when we sailed from Mumbai. Others advised that each port was effectively "one entry". (I just checked and the visa I obtained for that cruise was a multiple entry tourist visa and the endorsement states "travelling by cruise")

India's constant updating of the visa regulations makes it difficult to get a straightforward answer and these recent, last minute evisa information was one reason why we stuck with the conventional paper version. Like you, I'd seek advice from the High Commission, though the professional visa companies are dealing with these regulations all the time and ought to be on the ball.

Have fun!

Right.....New update. Although theoretically you can now get into 5 seaports with an e-visa, our cruise line RSSC have made it clear to us that we still MUST get a yearly tourist visa as it takes 20 minutes a person to clear customs with an e-visa which is not feasible for a cruise load of people going on a tour. So unfortunately we need to pay out for the dearer one.

<

So unfortunately we need to pay out for the dearer one.>

I guess the peace of mind might make it worthwhile?

On a slightly different but related tack, we just had warning that in order to enter South Africa we need two adjacent double spread empty pages in our passports. Might mean that I have to renew mine, then...with just over a month to go?!

Edited by Gilly
I have no idea why I suddenly turned green!