Cove Balcony vs Balony on the Dream

wkuheather02

Can anyone tell me the differences? We are booked in a Cove Balcony for March honestly because at time of booking it was cheapest. We booked early saver with price protection so if I wanted to do a guarantee balcony I could put about $150 in my onboard account since it's that much cheaper now. Our main concern is the location if we did the guarantee (are there balconies that are obscured by lifeboats?) and the fact that we are traveling with a 4 year old who likes to climb and we are thinking the cove being more closed in might be safer? Not sure if the balcony "railings" (glass?) are higher on regular balcony rooms or the same height as cove. This will be our first time on Carnival and first time in a balcony room so any info on this would be appreciated.

Can anyone tell me the differences? We are booked in a Cove Balcony for March honestly because at time of booking it was cheapest. We booked early saver with price protection so if I wanted to do a guarantee balcony I could put about $150 in my onboard account since it's that much cheaper now. Our main concern is the location if we did the guarantee (are there balconies that are obscured by lifeboats?) and the fact that we are traveling with a 4 year old who likes to climb and we are thinking the cove being more closed in might be safer? Not sure if the balcony "railings" (glass?) are higher on regular balcony rooms or the same height as cove. This will be our first time on Carnival and first time in a balcony room so any info on this would be appreciated.

I love the cove balcony way more than a regular. There's nothing quite like being so close to the water. It feels more private, is sheltered, yet still gets its fair share of sun. I'd always choose a cove if available!!

Most of the cove balconies have lifeboats hanging above them, but there are a few that do not. Even if you have a cove balcony that doesn't have a lifeboat directly above, you won't get a lot of direct sunlight, because the balconies are recessed. So don't plan on working on your suntan on your balcony. On the other hand, cove balconies do provide more privacy than a standard balcony. Because they're much closer to the water, a cove balcony is a great place to watch for occasional sea life. We've seen flying fish and dolphins from ours. There are several videos posted on Youtube of the cove balconies. Although it's not the same as actually being on one, you'll get a pretty good idea of what it's like.

It's true, lifeboats do block some sun... in our case that is fine because we like our cabin to stay cool.

I like hearing the ocean more personally but that being said.... the cove balcony isn't as pretty as regular ones but...... much more private!

We like either

I prefer a cove Balcony due to the lack of Sunlight, but I noticed the storm shutters. When it gets rough, do they close them?

I’d like to try a Cove also but am worried that the waterproof door would have to be closed if even for a day do to high waves. This happened to a friend, although only closed for a short while it was a bummer.

If you cruise in late Spring, or during the Summer, chances are very slim to zero that there will be high waves or weather rough enough to warrant closing off the cove balconies.

If you cruise in late Spring, or during the Summer, chances are very slim to zero that there will be high waves or weather rough enough to warrant closing off the cove balconies.

I was on the Dream in March and ended up in a Deck 6 Balcony after being moved from a cove when we added family to our trip and needed another cabin. It looked like two days of our cruise that the waves were breaking higher than the cove balconies, we on deck 6 were taking some serious spray and getting wet balcony floors. I wondered if I would have been locked out of my cove balcony in that instance, but no one has ever been able to confirm for me. This would be a reason for me not to book one.

On our balcony on the Breeze which is a sister ship, our balcony door had a sliding bolt lock up high to prevent our kids from going out onto the balcony if we weren't out there. I hope that this gives you some peace. If you are out there with your kiddo, you will be great. We loved the cove balcony. The stateroom seemed quieter. We clipped our wet clothes to the chairs and they never even fluttered in the breeze so not a lot of wind. We enjoyed the shade though

I was on the Dream in March and ended up in a Deck 6 Balcony after being moved from a cove when we added family to our trip and needed another cabin. It looked like two days of our cruise that the waves were breaking higher than the cove balconies, we on deck 6 were taking some serious spray and getting wet balcony floors. I wondered if I would have been locked out of my cove balcony in that instance, but no one has ever been able to confirm for me. This would be a reason for me not to book one.

I’m pretty sure the balcony would have been closed off .

Question for those who have been in both standard and cove balconies: Is there any glass at all between the railing and floor of the cove opening? From the pics and videos I’ve seen, it appears it is open-air through the railing as in this snapshot of a video. 130e2b61989f896902d2552e42a89df1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question for those who have been in both standard and cove balconies: Is there any glass at all between the railing and floor of the cove opening? From the pics and videos I’ve seen, it appears it is open-air through the railing as in this snapshot of a video. 130e2b61989f896902d2552e42a89df1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No glass. It's open.

Your are better off with an inside cabin with a climbing 4 yr old.

Thank you all so much for the feedback! cruisenewbie1 thank you so much for the info about the lock. We had read about that and it does give us peace of mind. That should remedy her getting out without us being with her. The open air on the cove balconies is somewhat concerning with my little escape artist and I hadn't thought about splash from the waves causing issues so that's something to consider too. Such good points to consider from everyone!

We tried a Cove Balcony with our 6 year old Granddaughter last year, the time before she was 3 1/2 and we had a regular balcony. She loved the first time we went, she wanted to be on the balcony all the time. She had her breakfast out there most days. When my husband decided to do a Cove I was a bit skeptical, but really it was pretty cool. Keep in mind we had strong winds the first day and a half so the waves and water were high, but never soaking onto the balcony. You could feel the spray of the ocean at time, which was refreshing. My granddaughter was a bit freaked by being so close to the water and the waves. So the last cruise she never wanted to go out and sit there with us. I have read where in extreme waves you risk the chance of not being able to use it, but we never encountered that. My husband would do cove over regular balcony I think I prefer the regular balcony. It comes down to preference. I say try it and at least you will know for future cruises :)