maof4

Buyer beware

We had a bad experience with Norwegian Cruise Line years ago when we had to miss a planned trip because our son was hospitalized. Their customer service was awful. So I wasn't surprised to see this story about how they left an elderly couple at the dock.

Please read before booking with NCL.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/27/left-dock-and-looking-for-refund-and-some-compassion-from-cruise-line/mszHE2cq2Po5k9ZY9EnPvL/story.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos2

We had a bad experience with Norwegian Cruise Line years ago when we had to miss a planned trip because our son was hospitalized. Their customer service was awful. So I wasn't surprised to see this story about how they left an elderly couple at the dock.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/27/left-dock-and-looking-for-refund-and-some-compassion-from-cruise-line/mszHE2cq2Po5k9ZY9EnPvL/story.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos2

I think that the couple didn't read documentation properly. It clearly says to carry all cruise documents with you. This includes your passport , visa and boarding pass. NCL isn't responsible for their error of not bringing their passport at check in.

This has been beaten to death on the Norwegian board and even though the couple admitted they screwed up, Norwegian refunded their cruise fare and is giving them another cruise.

So, expect all the whiners to come out of the woodwork now.

For the record, most of the people the couple encountered were not Norwegian employees, they work for the port. So, Norwegian is apologizing for the actions of a bunch of people that don’t work for them.

NEVER LEAVE YOUR PASSPORT OR YOUR MEDICATIONS IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. These people had cruised before - they should have known the drill.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience - didn’t you have trip insurance? That should have made refunds easy, although it doesn’t help with the stress of an illness or the missed vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by xriva

This has been beaten to death on the Norwegian board and even though the couple admitted they screwed up, Norwegian refunded their cruise fare and is giving them another cruise.

So, expect all the whiners to come out of the woodwork now.

For the record, most of the people the couple encountered were not Norwegian employees, they work for the port. So, Norwegian is apologizing for the actions of a bunch of people that don’t work for them.

NEVER LEAVE YOUR PASSPORT OR YOUR MEDICATIONS IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. These people had cruised before - they should have known the drill.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience - didn’t you have trip insurance? That should have made refunds easy, although it doesn’t help with the stress of an illness or the missed vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check in agents are actually contract employees of NCL. The same for all cruise lines in most ports. A friend of mine. Worked as a contract worker for Princess at Canada P,ace in Vancouver. He wasn’t allowed to work for other lines all season.

You are SO behind the 8 ball. It's been ALL over CC and NCL has rectified 10 fold.

BTW ... WHAT does NCL have to do with you missing a trip due to your son being hospitalized? Trip insurance is for that.

Cruise lines are a business. If you cancel inside the cancellation window you forfeit your fare. At least this is the practice in North America.

If the cruise lines bowed to every sad story about cancellations inside this window they would be flooded with requests and would either have to sail light or blow out those cabins at a substantially lower price.