Flickr from Princess ships?

alolewis

I am taking a photography class at the local community college. We will be on a 30 day cruise. The Professor has agreed that we (DW and myself) can miss class if we upload some photographs to meet the assignments. She wants the photos uploaded to Flickr. I know some websites are blocked on Princess, is Flickr one of them or can I access Flickr using Princess Internet? We are talking about less than 10 photos per week at a small jpg size. Never tried uploading photos before on the ship as usually wait until I get home. We will have some Internet minutes as we are Platinum but can purchase more if needed. Thanks.

I am taking a photography class at the local community college. We will be on a 30 day cruise. The Professor has agreed that we (DW and myself) can miss class if we upload some photographs to meet the assignments. She wants the photos uploaded to Flickr. I know some websites are blocked on Princess, is Flickr one of them or can I access Flickr using Princess Internet? We are talking about less than 10 photos per week at a small jpg size. Never tried uploading photos before on the ship as usually wait until I get home. We will have some Internet minutes as we are Platinum but can purchase more if needed. Thanks.

Yes, I have uploaded photos to Flickr while onboard five different ships with no problems. I am usually up early in the mornings and do it then and only takes couple of minutes since the size has been decreased to about 100K per photo.

FlickR works fine on CC

38219237836_0b53c57055_z.jpgGetting the parted started

Howard

I suspect the ship you will be on will make a difference as well. I have had terrible luck in the past creating PDFs and emailing them from my laptop. Something that should take less than 5 minutes has taken 30 plus minutes each time. Princess internet has been very disappointing in the past. I'm told those on the Regal with the new internet are happy with it, the speeds are improved, etc. Depending on which ship you are on, they may not have the improved internet. So very early mornings and possibly close to the internet cafe or wherever the routers are.

Good luck! You may find better luck from land stops on your cruise then the ship itself.

We've always been able to find places in the ports that offer free or low cost internet. It does help to research them a little in advance. For instance, in St. Thomas, there is a little cafe very near the port--internet is free if you purchase a meal or $3 by itself. There are also multiple bars offering free internet. In St. Maarten, Hardrock Cafe internet is free with any purchase. In Cozumel, you get an internet code with a purchase at Starbucks. We used it somewhere in Grand Cayman but I don't remember where. At most European ports it was the same--free on the steps of a cathedral, at a sidewalk cafe with a beverage purchase, etc. These are much better connections than you get on board in terms of speed and reliability.

If you'll tell us where your cruise is going, we might be able to give you some suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
We've always been able to find places in the ports that offer free or low cost internet. It does help to research them a little in advance. For instance' date=' in St. Thomas, there is a little cafe very near the port--internet is free if you purchase a meal or $3 by itself. There are also multiple bars offering free internet. In St. Maarten, Hardrock Cafe internet is free with any purchase. In Cozumel, you get an internet code with a purchase at Starbucks. We used it somewhere in Grand Cayman but I don't remember where. At most European ports it was the same--free on the steps of a cathedral, at a sidewalk cafe with a beverage purchase, etc. These are much better connections than you get on board in terms of speed and reliability.

If you'll tell us where your cruise is going, we might be able to give you some suggestions.[/quote']South America on emerald starting Feb 28 for thirty days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Flickr reduces the pictures down to 100 kb/photo or something similar while a jpeg image can be 9 mb/photo or more. It takes a lot less bandwidth to transmit 100 kb than a 9 mb file (1 mb is equal to 1000 kb). The slower internet on the ships are not conducive to large files of any type. Only visit text only websites and only send small text files if you don't want to spend a lot of internet time/$$$$.

Flickr reduces the pictures down to 100 kb/photo or something similar while a jpeg image can be 9 mb/photo or more. It takes a lot less bandwidth to transmit 100 kb than a 9 mb file (1 mb is equal to 1000 kb). The slower internet on the ships are not conducive to large files of any type. Only visit text only websites and only send small text files if you don't want to spend a lot of internet time/$$$$.

No it doesn't, or at least it only does that if you select that. I just looked up some of our recent cruise pictures on Flickr and the first one I checked is 18.5MB.

If you're using a Flickr uploader, see if you can shrink the file size during the upload. Otherwise, learn how to downsize your images in your editing software, so you can at least upload some sample shots without consuming a lot of bits (and potentially costing you a lot of money), then perhaps update the uploads from dry land (with higher-resolution editions) when the opportunity presents. I almost always do two exports from Lightroom: one with 100% quality, sharpened for screen (high), at full resolution, and another with 100% quality, sharpened screen (high) at a max of 980x980 pixels.